• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BOKUBEN Manga Artist Has 'No Comment' Regarding the Anime Ending's Relation to the Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping it ends the same. The girl who 'won' in the anime is definitely the one who makes the most sense.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Here's hoping it ends the same. The girl who 'won' in the anime is definitely the one who makes the most sense.

It had an anime original ending then?Who was it that won then(currently updated in the manga)
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I hope not. I don't watch the anime, but I checked out the ending when I saw this articleand the girl who 'won' in the anime is the least likable of the cast.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

It had an anime original ending then?Who was it that won then(currently updated in the manga)

Noone really won, kinda open harem ending just some hint who it might be, and if it will be that girl in the end in the manga then iam glad i didn't read it because would be worst pick for my taste...
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I hope the manga ending is completely different from the anime. The anime was such a rushed open ending.

I rather the manga ending (like Nisekoi) has one of the girls at least win. I hate the anime open ending.

Also team sensei
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

spoiler[The manga hints that it will end with that but the anime skipped some vital scenes that made it make a lot more sense lol.] I hope she wins in the manga. None of the others seemed to even remotely have his heart.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Whoever wins, there definitely will be fans that'll be displeased. IMO Bokuben has one of the most balanced harems.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:17 am Reply with quote
Well of course he wouldn't comment on it, it would completely spoil the ending of the Manga.

I'm surprised he agreed with them going anime original with the ending.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I think this was a dumb move. Why sign off on an anime ending when your manga still hadn't finished and expect people to keep reading your manga? Unfortunately I think
spoiler[Uruka's win] is now sabotaged. Like what is the point of me reading the rest of this knowing who won? Will he continue with this anime decision or go with another to keep it interesting for the readers?

Which really stinks because I really love all the characters in the manga and looked like it was going to make a graceful landing. Now I'm just disappointed. Super hyperboly, first world complaints I know. But I really loved this one and to only have it undermined by such a weird decision is silly.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Is there actually confirmation who it was that "won?" I mean, not much point blacking out the character who helped Yuiga up on the same episode, only to allude as if it was spoiler[Takemoto] several minutes later.

spoiler[If so, I like how they made it that she's leaving, so the love triangle, or rather pentagon, is a stalemate.]
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:02 am Reply with quote
Obviously the ones behind the anime saw no need for a season 3, so they rushed the ending in a way that had the "most" sense(at least to them). There was plenty of material for season three, especially the most excellent Sensei arc.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
I wasn't surprised at the anime's ending. Typical for modern harems it seems.

However what really kills me is that the anime spoiler[didn't even divulge that deep into the culmination of all of the girl's studying. Instead it just focused on hi-jinks and a school festival, almost as if the anime literally forgot the entire focus of the story that there was a point to Yuiga tutoring everyone. Then the last episode goes "Oh hey everyone, here's a festival, and then.... BOOM!! Welcome to a year later."]

The differences between the manga and the anime kind of reminded me of a reverse of that series Girls Bravo to pick something a bit random off the top of my head, where the manga was full of seemingly nonsensical hi-jinks and then the anime started off most the same until attempting to build an actual story with an ending.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Whoever wins, there definitely will be fans that'll be displeased. IMO Bokuben has one of the most balanced harems.

Yeah, spoiler[Ranma] has the mc and girl 1 getting a marriage ceremony, then secondary characters (not the other girls) come and ruin the wedding so they don't end up getting married (which they accept as they are still in highschool ) and people still complained about the ending being loose ended. Bet if it ended with the marriage like the author's previous series they would complain that divorce is possible.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
tywhoppity wrote:
Obviously the ones behind the anime saw no need for a season 3, so they rushed the ending in a way that had the "most" sense(at least to them). There was plenty of material for season three, especially the most excellent Sensei arc.

That's the thing, even the way they approached the ending felt out-of-place for how the anime had handled the material up to that point.

They kept building up one girl more seriously then the rest only to hint that the "winner" was the girl they kept setting up to lose.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Has the 'childhood friend' love interest ever won in an anime before? Not counting cop outs like 'they're all childhood friends', 'only one possible pairing', and the variant 'they won in the first arc and everyone else is just there for lulz' type stories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2