• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fire Force

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What was Bench-kun doing in episode 24? Shocked

Foreshadowing where Arthur will confess to Shinra that he wants him to get him a date with the Captain? Surprised

Edit:S2 Ep2 7/13/2020 The world is reeling from a pandemic that no one saw coming and the only hope is to BURN EVERYTHING....FF is indeed "back baby!" and from my previous posts you know I was not a complete fan. However, Ep2 is straight FIRE and I have rewatched several times now so my hope is high that the new season will be a step way up. From the superb English VA work all around to the Op, action, writing and everything this was the best of the series so far...
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Inca's "乱DMC" shirt in the flashback in episode 3 (Ran DMC, obviously a Run DMC reference, since Run is pronounced Ran in Japanese) made me laugh.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Great season so far, not sure about Inca though, but maybe she'll grow on me as the season goes on.

Quote:
(have we seen a kill that bloody on the show before? I'm tempted to say we haven't)

I'd wager a guess you were right. I was pretty surprised to see that all of a sudden. I wonder if this means things will be getting more brutal this season...
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:16 am Reply with quote
27 was a banger! Especially loving the ludicrousness of it all and Charon's entrances. David Production is on fire!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
Anyone know what's up with the Funi dub? Ep4 is out and still only dubbed up to Ep2. I thought they were going to pull the "one week back" schedule as before based on the first episodes but now??
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Anyone know what's up with the Funi dub? Ep4 is out and still only dubbed up to Ep2. I thought they were going to pull the "one week back" schedule as before based on the first episodes but now??

Yeah, I was wondering about this myself. First season, I would watch the sub and dub back-to-back, but this season . . .
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote
I'd say the Tamaki fan-service was at it worst this week because people ALMOST DIED BECAUSE SHE FAILED TO PUT HER CLOTHES ON!
They actually tried to make tension out of catgirl nun not being able to put on pants to pray for the souls of people BURNING ALIVE!
Seriously the tonal problems of this show when we go from "oh no my bra fell off kya >x<"
to "An entire town and it's people are burning to the ground".
I haven't seen such tonal dissonance since Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame tried balancing a priest wanting to murder a woman to rid himself of his catholic guilt with cartoon gargoyles voiced by comedians losing to birds.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:13 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:

I haven't seen such tonal dissonance since Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame tried balancing a priest wanting to murder a woman to rid himself of his catholic guilt with cartoon gargoyles voiced by comedians losing to birds.

Hoo boy, then you might want to avoid The God of High School's latest episode this week, because the tonal discord is enough to practically break the show
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
yeehaw wrote:

Hoo boy, then you might want to avoid The God of High School's latest episode this week, because the tonal discord is enough to practically break the show

I wasn't watching God of high school but now I'm gonna!
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So the trick of Corna is to basically cause Charon to overdose on raw, unmitigated fire power,

I thought that the main part of the trick was "in the instant that Charon releases the fire energy he can't be simultaneously absorbing" and so Shinra has to attack with that exact timing.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
So the trick of Corna is to basically cause Charon to overdose on raw, unmitigated fire power,

I thought that the main part of the trick was "in the instant that Charon releases the fire energy he can't be simultaneously absorbing" and so Shinra has to attack with that exact timing.

That's what I got from it as well.
Though I suppose it may be possible to overload Charon with more power than he can absorb (it's possible he doesn't have a limit though), I don't believe that was Shinra's goal.

Knowing that probably won't make the fight much easier though. Charon can just take the hits without throwing any fire back and seems capable enough to overwhelm Shinra on raw physical strength alone.

Also, we were already spoiled on the outcome of the goal of this fight in the next ep preview (in case you didn't already see it coming) :/
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I wish Fire Force spent more time highlighting 2nd gen pyrokinetics. I enjoy the dynamic between 2nd gen and 3rd gen and how they can cancel each other out. As more pyrokinetics battle each other I hope the dynamic between them gets more creative in battle.

I think 2nd gen pyros don't get enough shine in the series because 3rd gens are more "flashy". If the plot of Fire Force ever starts focusing on Infernals again, it would be a great time for 2nd gens to shine like they did in season 2 ep 5 against the super infernal.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:11 am Reply with quote
5 episodes into the second season, and I’m riveted. Which is very weird, because I barely watched the first season—I love the style (those glowing blue stripes!), but was turned off by the cliches and tonal whiplash, so I just kind of let it play in the background when it aired on Toonami. Now I’m going to have to go back because I obviously missed important details...(like Shinra’s mother being alive....?huh)

But *this season*, after the first silly filler episode, has been a lot of fun! And my favorite part is Inca—as long as she keeps the balance between thrill seeking adrenaline junky and just moral enough not to actually want to kill people and being upset when her friends are killed (poor Sancho, we barely knew ye). She’s a really good foil for Shinra, because she’s not interested in being anyone’s damsel in distress. Company 8
Is going to have to convince her that they’re a better fit for her, and then try to persuade her to tip her psychological imbalance towards the good guy side and build up her moral sense without boring her—that’s way more interesting than merely rescuing her! I’m looking forward to a complex game of cat and mouse and a character development arc that feels earned.

Side note: I surprised myself by actually laughing at Tamaki’s LLL stunt—more for the 4th wall break of acknowledging how weirdly specific nun veil + bikini is.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
All my hopes for Inca being interesting were imploded when she blew up Panda Sad I guess there’s still a chance that she could be courted by the good guys, but it’s far less likely now. What bothers me most is probably that she chose the White Clad so willingly. She didn’t try to run away or ask what was in it for her. And I guess because of storytelling/time limitations, there was no real discussion about it. It’s worth noting that going to jail was her assumption—they probably would have granted her clemency. But she didn’t have time to ask.
leongsh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 pm Reply with quote
It's as if the whole point of Inca's turn to the White Clad was to give Shinra a lost soul to mourn over along with Sho's, which feels rushed and reduces Inca's potentially interesting role as a destructive free agent to that of a fallen woman who went down a dark path (have I mentioned that Fire Force has some weird hangups about its female characters? Because it really does).

Err... you seriously think Inca could be a destructive free agent as an alternative? On what basis? The White Clads now know that she is the Fifth Pillar and would be able to sniff her out easily. Then there's Haumea's capabilities which would neuter Inca. It's like all this building up of the world and characters is conveniently ignored because you want an alternative that breaks the narrative of the world and its make-up so far. That would be plan bad writing.

Agent355 wrote:
All my hopes for Inca being interesting were imploded when she blew up Panda Sad I guess there’s still a chance that she could be courted by the good guys, but it’s far less likely now.

What options do you have such that Inca would be interesting since you have hopes for it? Pray tell so that we can have a better idea.

Agent355 wrote:
What bothers me most is probably that she chose the White Clad so willingly. She didn’t try to run away or ask what was in it for her. And I guess because of storytelling/time limitations, there was no real discussion about it. It’s worth noting that going to jail was her assumption—they probably would have granted her clemency. But she didn’t have time to ask.

The past 3-4 episodes that had her in the frame gave us an idea that she is a thrill seeker doing it not only just for the thrill of danger but also for the money. Her being a headcase was amply demonstrated and you expected her to choose the Fire Force when she could continue her thrill of chaos, danger and mayhem with the White Clads. It was substantially clear she would choose the White Clads before this episode started. The White Clads are agents of chaos and that would fit her just fine.

Inca further articulated what she saw as her future if she went with the Fire Force. Just as you have pointed out that Inca's assumption that she would be jailed, you also made an assumption that she could have been granted clemency. How about the possibility that she could be experimented on since she is identified as the Fifth Pillar and should have access to the Adolla Burst. She is not like Shinra who is deemed a useful tool and and has nominal protection being a member of Fire Force Unit 8. She is just a civilian and based on the crimes that she has committed, it is unlikely they would go easy on her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 17