• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Ideally it would be great if there was a dub where everyone spoke different languages, Danish, English, Welsh etc. But I'm guessing that that would be impossible.

I we are going to dream, let's dream big. How about voice actors doing the brits speaking old english! afaik it would be the first anime foreign dub where you would still subtitles to understand what they are saying Cool
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I liked the Planetes anime a lot. Is the manga that much better?

MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope at some point this can get a dub from an ADR director who really cares about this, for the characters to have appropriate accents. Ideally it would be great if there was a dub where everyone spoke different languages, Danish, English, Welsh etc. But I'm guessing that that would be impossible.

mangamuscle wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Ideally it would be great if there was a dub where everyone spoke different languages, Danish, English, Welsh etc. But I'm guessing that that would be impossible.

I we are going to dream, let's dream big. How about voice actors doing the brits speaking old english! afaik it would be the first anime foreign dub where you would still subtitles to understand what they are saying Cool

This is one of my hopes for a dub. The Norse would obviously just be rendered as English but to my recollection there are parts where Old English, Welsh, and probably Norman French are spoken. I'm guessing in the case of the French and Welsh, the modern versions of those languages would be used.

Actually, in the episode where Thorfinn is with that English family, Thorfinn has the fewest lines, so it would probably be easier to render Thorfinn's lines in Norse in that episode. It wouldn't be the first time a show or movie has "switched off" the translation convention for a specific scene.
Jindujun93

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:53 am Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

Pretty much. The anime had some fillers, especially in the first half (most infamously, the ninja episode), while the manga is much more focused and actually goes beyond the events of the anime by a fair margin. Definitely worth a read, and at four volumes it's not too long. Now if only it wouldn't have had such a low print-run, but that's Dark Horse for you...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:

I would say that depends on what you liked in particular about Planetes. Understand that in the manga, the only characters mainly are the Toy Box crew which are Fee, Hachimaki, Yuri, and Tanabe. The manga is also far more subdued and focused mainly on Hachimaki's introspection as he fights through loneliness and getting past his false bravado. So if you liked the wacky hi-jinks that the anime-only characters brought to the table, basically everyone in the Debris Section that is not the Toy Box crew, then you will not find them in the manga as the manga is (mostly) not a comedy, though when it uses it it's quite effective, like Fee's manic rampage for a cigarette.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Yeah, though it's kind of a shame that it goes so utterly against everything known of the historical Canute. (Though since the story about the tides got twisted backwards over the years, at least getting things wrong about Canute has a long history.)

Still time to wrestle with the complexity of Canute, but I suspect that we will get this version that appeals to a (very modern) sort of moral that the story wants to tell instead of something at all dealing with Canute and his time on his own terms. It is made for modern viewers, of course.

It is my reasonable hope that we will eventually see that Canute towards the end of the story, so this aspect is just the current arc for the character who like Thorfinn will also take a wrong path, and then after a realisation, change course. In a way Canute is mirroring Thorfinn's development.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Jdnation: I’m hoping the same thing, since even though it’s not hard historical fiction Vinland Saga does often stick closer to history than you’d expect it to at first glance. (As far as I can tell, so little detail is known about King Sweyn that even the season finale may not technically be contradicting known facts?)
LaTortugaIsGod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:12 am Reply with quote
Kinda surprised/disappointed James B. didn't mention the part where Canute almost faints and Thorkell catches him. It was a small moment that did so much work for both of their characters.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
^ It showed that Thorkell was a lot more aware of the political situation than he let on, and that's not the first time he's done that, either. I think his happy-go-lucky persona is largely an act. Largely.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I never read the Planetes manga but after watching the anime and disliking the ending I looked up the manga end and it’s so much better. Otherwise I don’t really know the differences but now I kind of want to read it.
LaTortugaIsGod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I vastly prefer the Planetes manga to the anime. It's laser focused on Fee, Yuri, Tanabe and Hachi. It's also a lot less cynical than the anime. The anime treats the characters a lot worse.

Also the Dog Days of Summer arc(Fee's arc) is the best thing Makoto Yukimura has ever written and it's not in the anime at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13