• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ascendance of a Bookworm [2019-10-26]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Watch it again. She's wearing a deadpan expression the whole time she's blasting him, until she knocks him out cold with him foaming at the mouth. When he goes down she gets this little smile, and as she raises her arms to really take him out, her eyes look even more malevolent, and she's still smiling. It's more obvious in motion, but I can't do gifs. Smile

..... .....

It's her adult mentality taking over there, during that traumatic experience for her.
Don't forget, she was being overwhelmed both mentally and physically.
Can you blaming her for snapping and not pretending anymore and doing something against objectively bad people, and enjoying a bit?

The only problem with this is that, like in most stories, she didn't killed him because satan forbids the protagonist from ever killing anyone no matter what.

"If you kill him you're the same as him", remember?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Darth Myne

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

The only problem with this is that, like in most stories, she didn't killed him because satan forbids the protagonist from ever killing anyone no matter what.

"If you kill him you're the same as him", remember?

Uhhhhh no? That's explicitly not why the blue priest stopped her. The way he talked her down was to tell her that if she killed him, her entire family would be executed as accessories in the murder of a noble. Main didn't stop because of some notion about being "the same as him" or anything of the sort. She stopped to protect her family.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Uhhhhh no? That's explicitly not why the blue priest stopped her. The way he talked her down was to tell her that if she killed him, her entire family would be executed as accessories in the murder of a noble. Main didn't stop because of some notion about being "the same as him" or anything of the sort. She stopped to protect her family.

I was talking not about the characters, I was thinking about the author.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:29 am Reply with quote
And how exactly would she and her family get away with killing a noble?
It's not about morality BS, it's about impeding the whole intended development for the story. Any author would sooner remove that scene than completely switch the story's direction.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Even the author knows you don't kill nobles in front of other people, unless you are willing and capable of killing all the witnesses. Even then, you have to have a strong degree of deniability. If the nobles think you did it, that is just as good as them knowing it. Not to mention they might have magical devices that can figure out it who did it.

The family might have to quickly escape from the city, into exile. With the citizenship requirements for each city, things would not be good.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Good review for the beginning of the second season. This and All Routes Lead to Doom are my top favorites for the Spring Season.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was coming but I'm still disappointed by how little issues arises from Myne choking the priest. Imagine you'd hear that your new co worker literally choked the boss almost to death during the interview, would you just whisper in their back and cast glance at them? The archpriest himself decided his incredible revenge was going to be<gasp> give her annoying servant! What next, he'll put thumbtack in her shoes?! Oh the humanity! That'll show her for almost killing him. Talk about turning the other cheek.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Don't know the source material, but from the OP I'd assume the High Priest has plans within plans within plans...and Delia was just the beginning. That consequences weren't more immediately dire likely speaks to the level of hurt the nobility are in for mana and he needs Myne's "donation" first. And don't forget Darth Myne can return to take care of unfinished business...(I want to see that!)

And the last scene, my dear Theron...Had you perhaps not heard of what families did to members who were Downs Syndrome/Deformed/Autistic/Psychotic even as late as the early 20'th century? I'd bet that "monster" down there will surface at some point (maybe as the High Priest's executioner?).
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:16 am Reply with quote
Eh, Myne wasn't executed in the spot because she is a walking battery and they have none and was more valuable alive than dead, that's why the author made evil Pope to faint, when he woke up the magic contract was signed and there was no going back.

Had he been awoke most probably would have ordered Myne to be executed.

It was a business decision by Ferdinand, this series it's quite... capitalistic, by lack a better therm.

If you ask me, the real question is why the merchant girl didn't do the same, unless she simply decided that being a concubine was the better option, since she gets to have a shop in a privilegiate spot.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:46 am Reply with quote
It's finally back, this is probably going to be my anime of the season along with Kaguya Very Happy
I hope next episode doesn't hold back when showing spoiler[the orphanage].

Quote:
If you ask me, the real question is why the merchant girl didn't do the same, unless she simply decided that being a concubine was the better option, since she gets to have a shop in a privilegiate spot.

It's definitely the better option. Living at the temple for the rest of your life while being treated like shit by the nobles there would suck a lot.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:49 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Eh, Myne wasn't executed in the spot because she is a walking battery and they have none and was more valuable alive than dead, that's why the author made evil Pope to faint, when he woke up the magic contract was signed and there was no going back.

It was a business decision by Ferdinand, this series it's quite... capitalistic, by lack a better therm.

But they don't need her to consent giving her magic, they can just tie her in a dungeon, put the magical artifact on a stick and poke her with it.

Heck they don't even need her at the temple, Myne need them waaaaaay more than they need her. They could just tell her to pass by every week to give some magic, that work for her and works for them. And at this point Myne is rich enough to buy book on her own, so she really doesn't need to be at the temple. Just like the pope is surprisingly chill about working with a person who tried to kill her she's surprisingly chill working under him.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

But they don't need her to consent giving her magic, they can just tie her in a dungeon, put the magical artifact on a stick and poke her with it.

Heck they don't even need her at the temple, Myne need them waaaaaay more than they need her. They could just tell her to pass by every week to give some magic, that work for her and works for them. And at this point Myne is rich enough to buy book on her own, so she really doesn't need to be at the temple. Just like the pope is surprisingly chill about working with a person who tried to kill her she's surprisingly chill working under him.

And then the devouring kills her because she goes into a depression, the sickness was designed by the author to force the church to help her since she needs to be happy.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

And then the devouring kills her because she goes into a depression, the sickness was designed by the author to force the church to help her since she needs to be happy.

?? The devouring only happen because she has too much mana, if they poke her with the mana draining artifact that takes care of that.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I knew it was coming but I'm still disappointed by how little issues arises from Myne choking the priest. Imagine you'd hear that your new co worker literally choked the boss almost to death during the interview, would you just whisper in their back and cast glance at them? The archpriest himself decided his incredible revenge was going to be<gasp> give her annoying servant! What next, he'll put thumbtack in her shoes?! Oh the humanity! That'll show her for almost killing him. Talk about turning the other cheek.

1. What makes you think the priest or anyone else told anyone else what happened? Way too much pride for that. If he's sending gossip out it is not that that a little girl tossed him around and choked him like a doll. He's surely made it well known that she is an unworthy commoner given special treatment and stoking distrust in her as well as he can.
2. Delia certainly doesn't know. She's not really any sort of revenge, she's just a disposable spy. The idiot didn't even tell he that she was supposed to befriend her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 26