• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does European gamers play Japanese video games?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
Hello there, i am from Serbia. I am hardcore gamer from Serbia that likes to play some Japanese video games, i also play any games that are not brought to Europe, bringing some games like an import from North America and Japan and you?
motokokusanagi002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Hello there, i am from Serbia. I am hardcore gamer from Serbia that likes to play some Japanese video games, i also play any games that are not brought to Europe, bringing some games like an import from North America and Japan and you?

It depends on which gamers, but in the UK, generally not. The FGC, for instance, is not big here. The JRPGs are not big here.

Myself I love Japanese games of the fighting and STG varieties, but is it worth owning a console? Sadly not, but the interest is there.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Many years ago when I was first getting into anime I found out that there were games related to many of the anime I watched that we couldn't get in the US. As my roommates were huge gamers and we had just about every console around I imported a few anime related games for Playstation and Sega Saturn. I didn't buy very many because I once I got a few I found that I didn't really care for the play style all that much and they were often hard to play without good Japanese language skills but I still have some of them for collector's value. I remember looking into importing an NEC PC-FX to play some anime games that I was interested in but I never ended up doing it.

Around that time it was quite popular among hardcore American console gamers to import Japanese games, I know my roommates spend a lot of money buying import games from NCSX.

Personally I love JRPGs, at least the old-school ones before they turned into plot-on-the-rails movies or action games, but other than emulating a fan translation of Final Fantasy V I have always played the domestic releases. I'm not a huge fan of fighting games but I did like the Japanese 2-D ones like King of Fighters that my roommates had.
Chocobos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm a fan of Nintendo and Mario Bros - so as a European yes, I play Japanese games
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1