• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a lot of talk about changing fate, and the future is uncharted territory. Will they power-of-friendship their way out of All Might's eventual death?

I don't think the incident report of the robbers being cured of their cavities and arthritis was just a throwaway detail...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
Ep70- While the wind up to the fight has been slow but satisfying, I was a little surprised that the attempt at "stealth" was good until the assault. A surprise attach like this calls for timing and having the force converge on the target at the same time from random directions. Also, scout out a likely "back door" location or just have part of the force set up a perimeter. Really, the hero/police gathering was too slow and obvious and amateurish (seems the writers didn't think that through or...). The tactics to stall are too easy to anticipate and implement. Called it from the Ep beginning, Aeri will get away and "Overhaul's" plan will continue. Way to stretch guys...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
"manages to capture the excitement of a rebellious spirit, even in characters who are otherwise complete goodie-two-shoes. "
This and a other points mentioned in the review, I guess happen because the show happens in a japanese society, were this a show happening in a more individualistic western society those themes would either not be there or they would be demonized as authoritarism.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I do love Tamaki's fight and creative use of powers, but it really highlights what I don't love about this arc and the series in general. It crams all of this wonderful development into a gorgeous fight scene, but it is really clear that they didn't spare anything for any of the female characters.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[That's sort of spoiling things for people who haven't read the manga. Though I do hope that the anime will fix that by expanding more on the fight between Ryukyu's group and Rikiya.]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
Ep72- True Shounen Formula and not sure if it qualifies as filler, but despite the overall story almost at a stall the action and backstory progression (including Ashido YAY!) was quite satisfying.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's fair to call it filler just because the overall story is stalled, since as noted we still got some character background and development for Kirishima (and surprisingly Mina too). It's interesting the way they went back to the first episode's thing about a hero being someone who will save without hesitation and show how even if someone reacted the opposite way, that doesn't disqualify them from being a hero or stopping them from growing into one.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
So is anyone gonna pick up these reviews now that Sam has left ANN?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Sam left ANN?

Marimo0 wrote:
I don't think it's fair to call it filler just because the overall story is stalled, since as noted we still got some character background and development for Kirishima (and surprisingly Mina too). It's interesting the way they went back to the first episode's thing about a hero being someone who will save without hesitation and show how even if someone reacted the opposite way, that doesn't disqualify them from being a hero or stopping them from growing into one.

I agree; it doesn't seem fair to call the last BHA episode filler. The "filler" felt to me more like an elaboration on a flashback that already existed in the canon material. That kind of thing is very different from what is normally called "filler" -- content that not only stalls the main story, but most often ignores it and often even contradicts it violently.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:22 am Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
So is anyone gonna pick up these reviews now that Sam has left ANN?

Don't know how ANN works, but most likely noone's been watching, so they can't just pick up the reviews where he left off.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
For the record and accuracy, I didn't say it was filler but I've heard people call such an episode that so it was more of a question.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:22 am Reply with quote
Still no one picking up these reviews?

A real shame, as we're finally getting into another one of the series' highlight fights. Don't think I've been this excited about an episode of BNH since we last saw One For All.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to give the anime the benefit of the doubt and hope that they'd fix a notable problem with this arc, but based on what the preview for the next episode showed spoiler[it's looking like they aren't going to expand on the girls' fight against Rikiya at all, considering the preview's only focused on the stuff after we get the flashback to the girls' stuff.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess I'll be the first to welcome you aboard the MHA review train, Nick. Smile Nice job (being the pedant that I am, I may be most impressed with the lack of typos in this, which is a real rarity around here, especially given the short time frame you apparently had to whip this up)!

My only real difference of opinion is that I have greater tolerance for not fleshing out the side-villains. I thought they did just enough so that they weren't Henchman A, B, and C, but not so much that I have a ton of detail that ultimately doesn't matter rolling around in my head to distract from the main heroes' stories. I don't expect these guys to have much of a role going forward, but if they do, they can be fleshed out more then. Hell, they got at least as much as some of the female heroes have gotten (and boy do I agree about how they got sidelined in this, though I can see structurally how they needed to encounter the soul-sucking villain outside to allow Deku's shining moment to be a solo effort).

Anyway, looking forward to more!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised to find myself kind of .. underwhelmed? .. by Infinite 100%. I thought several key points in the Deku v Overhaul fight were poorly choreographed, the impact of important moments felt lost in awkward stylistic choices (like the suddenly muted sound, and Deku only figuring out ex post why he was suddenly up in the air after his 100% kick), and the fight ended more quickly than it deserved.

A lot of beautiful stills, but altogether they felt less than the sum of their parts, to me. That's not at all how I've felt about any of the series' other signature fights: Deku v Muscular, Deku v Todoroki, All Might v Nomu, & All Might v OfA all rocked my world quite completely, and even the Stain fight was thoroughly entertaining, if never reaching the highs of those first four fights.

Marimo0 wrote:
I wanted to give the anime the benefit of the doubt and hope that they'd fix a notable problem with this arc, but based on what the preview for the next episode showed spoiler[it's looking like they aren't going to expand on the girls' fight against Rikiya at all, considering the preview's only focused on the stuff after we get the flashback to the girls' stuff.]

They did briefly revisit this in the most recent episode, although not in as much detail as I agree would have been nice. That's a good example of a place anime 'filler' could have made a very nicely placed improvement over the underlying canon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 64 of 81