• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime Of 2019

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:18 am Reply with quote
furyk wrote:
That's the thing though, isn't there a better use of your energy? Isekai shows are a dime a dozen and there are things with very similar premises that don't have the level of baggage that Shield Hero has. Its not breaking any ground or doing anything special with the genre ultimately.

But that's the thing, it's not for you to dictate what other people like, what other people hold dear, what other people get excited about. You can say that you don't think the show is worth fuzzing about, but you can't force that view on others. Confused
As for your points, I think it's one of the better isekai franchises we had to date, definitely not 'dime in a dozen'. And I can't see that 'baggage' you mentioned, whether it relates to narratives of Malty or slavery, or anything else for that matter, in the work. It might be a bit slow, especially in the beginning, that I admit...

Quote:
I have never heard anyone say its their favorite show (at least not by someone with an agenda) and you're the first person I've ever seen who professed they loved the novels.

I find that hard to believe, or are you saying nearly 10% of the ANN userbase are liars?(referring to ANN mega poll)

Quote:
I just don't see putting this much behind such a mediocre show other than the fact that people who care about social justice hate it and people get off on triggering the libs.

That it's a 'mediocre' show is just your own opinion of it, I and many others certainly don't agree with that. And don't go generalizing what kind of people like it or not.
furyk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:43 am Reply with quote
The fact that you can’t see the baggage of this franchise is pretty delusional. Even if you don’t agree with it, it’s been stated concretely over and over by people who don’t like it across the Internet, on Twitter, on ANN Reviews and from what I’m inferring, on the forums. I’m not dictating whether you like it or not. I just find it incredibly mediocre and well trodden at this point. Rather than sharing why you disagree, you’re telling me that, that’s my opinion. Well yeah, that’s why I shared it. Kind of obvious.

As for finding it hard to believe, pointing to a poll that asks you to list your five favorite series from a year is much different than saying a show is a favorite. In those types of polls, I tend to list a few things to potentially signal boost as much as state what is my favorite. For example, in last year’s poll I voted for Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club because I felt it should be given a watch by more people, not that it was a long lasting favorite that will stick with me forever. Also, I don’t hang out on ANN that much, as I’ve amassed a massive, what ten posts, in my 15 years of being registered to the forums.

Also, why are you so defensive over a media property? I said essentially, I don’t see it and the limited interactions I’ve had with the fans who do enjoy it, seem to be more interested in pushing an agenda then actually talking about what they like about it. Nobody is attacking you friend.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:58 am Reply with quote
furyk wrote:
The fact that you can’t see the baggage of this franchise is pretty delusional.

Don't go declaring what views are delusional or not.

Quote:
Also, why are you so defensive over a media property?

I could ask the same thing, why are so eager to put down a show you apparently have no interest in or willingness to understand?

Quote:
I said essentially, I don’t see it and the limited interactions I’ve had with the fans who do enjoy it, seem to be more interested in pushing an agenda then actually talking about what they like about it.

Perhaps you've just had bad luck having such friends, most of who enjoy the show, novels and manga don't go putting others down or being general jerkasses, instead, we just, you know, are normal people who enjoy them, like any other media.
furyk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:05 am Reply with quote
Friend, I watched every episode of the show. I’m not putting it down because I heard it was bad. I watched it and was thoroughly unimpressed with it from a structural standpoint. It was a pretty bland Isekai separated from something like Isekai Cheat Magician by some content I found objectionable (which, I’ve gathered, others found objectionable too).

I want you to know I am really trying to have a conversation. What made it stand out for you? I genuinely want to know why you liked it, and maybe we can reach an understanding about the show improving our understanding of it and each other.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
LOL. Worst anime is Shield Hero because of Mysogyny?

Whoever wrote that needs to rewatch the show
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
furyk wrote:
I want you to know I am really trying to have a conversation. What made it stand out for you? I genuinely want to know why you liked it, and maybe we can reach an understanding about the show improving our understanding of it and each other.

I found the characters compelling, they all have their own issues, the mc isn't exactly an angel himself, all of which is what actually makes them so interesting. Writing is fluid, story is coherent and author creates an immersive world. The protagonist is an underdog in a hostile environment, and often struggles against impossible odds. Almost nothing in the story is black-and-white, everyone has shades of gray and reasons behind their actions. The anime isn't on par with the original novel though.

Last edited by Blanchimont on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
This whole thing is supposed to be about what people think are the Best/Worst Anime of 2019, not an argument over Shield Hero, I think I'll see myself out.
furyk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:37 am Reply with quote
I meant the anime. Honestly, I find Naofumi irredeemable as a character when he re-establishes the slave contract with Raphatalia. She is devoted to him to the point where she has her freedom and wants to stay by his side, but he still consents to the slave magic being put on her again. This is a man who says he values trust over everything else and he basically takes the one person who has been nothing but reliable to him and radically reestablishes a power structure over her simply because she consents to it. It would be one thing if the story treats Naofumi as a heartless monster at this point, but he pays literally no consequences for this act. He makes a terrible, unforgivable decision to radically unbalance power with the woman he cares for simply because he can. This coupled with what I find really weak rationale for the antagonists to do anything (why even summon the Shield Hero in the first place if you're going to immediately disgrace him, especially when you're only supposed to be summoning one hero in the first place?) and the general way scenes play out, I just felt really bad coming out of this show. It features a hero who in my opinion is an absolute monster that we're supposed to believe his major flaw is "trusting people" and is otherwise perfect. Beast people seem to be added to the world just to be an oppressed minority. The opening to the show was good, but that's really the only positive I can take away from the show.

I can understand saying "get past the slave thing, give it a chance". I did. Shield Hero then disappointed and ultimately angered me with the choices it made, the worldview it promoted, and the story it was looking to tell.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
This whole thing is supposed to be about what people think are the Best/Worst Anime of 2019, not an argument over Shield Hero

I think the argument in itself answers the query since "Let the dogs bark, Sancho. It’s a sign that we are on track".
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Can someone please explain to me why they find rise of the shield hero to be misogynist.

I know to some people that is obvious to them, but I want to make sure i'm understanding where people are coming from. I can see how you could feel naofumi is not redeemed by the end of season 1 but not because of misogyny

Naofumi is very nasty to myne and the king, and they are truly awful people in general and to naofumi.
I would like to ask everyone before they judge naofumi for how he acts to the two of them.

CAN YOU TREAT THEM BETTER? It takes a ton of effort to be decent to someone who basically is doing their *$%(ist to make your life hell. This is not a question of what the two of them deserve but could you honestly treat them better then naofumi does.

I know that I really couldn't, so I don't judge him for calling myne the b word constantly. and he never treats another person in the show like that except the king. saying the series and naofumi "promote deeply misogynist views" because he despises someone who makes it their mission to make his life hell (along with their own family, and a race of people) I think is missing taking everything way out of context, and being overly harsh to naofumi for not being jesus or kirito.

Naofumi does not act like he does to myne because she is a woman. To say that he does is in my opinion either misunderstand the show almost entirely or the person is lying to themselves or others, because they hate a small segment of the shows fans and want the show and them to burn.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:35 pm Reply with quote
furyk wrote:
This is a man who says he values trust over everything else and he basically takes the one person who has been nothing but reliable to him and radically reestablishes a power structure over her simply because she consents to it. It would be one thing if the story treats Naofumi as a heartless monster at this point, but he pays literally no consequences for this act. He makes a terrible, unforgivable decision to radically unbalance power with the woman he cares for simply because he can.

I've mostly tried to stay out of this debate, but I can't let this point go. Saying she "consented" to the slave crest being reapplied completely mischaracterizes what happened there; she requested it, even though Naofumi specifically said she didn't need to do it. The relevant scene is very clear on this. (See episode 5, starting at the 4:50 mark.)

The rest of what you said I either have less disagreement with or think is open to interpretation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
furyk wrote:
This is a man who says he values trust over everything else and he basically takes the one person who has been nothing but reliable to him and radically reestablishes a power structure over her simply because she consents to it. It would be one thing if the story treats Naofumi as a heartless monster at this point, but he pays literally no consequences for this act. He makes a terrible, unforgivable decision to radically unbalance power with the woman he cares for simply because he can.

I've mostly tried to stay out of this debate, but I can't let this point go. Saying she "consented" to the slave crest being reapplied completely mischaracterizes what happened there; she requested it, even though Naofumi specifically said she didn't need to do it. The relevant scene is very clear on this. (See episode 5, starting at the 4:50 mark.)

The rest of what you said I either have less disagreement with or think is open to interpretation.

I also disagree with your interpretation of the scene and why raphtalia wanted to have it done again.
I can however understand if for you that makes naofumi irredeemable or he should have put up more of an argument about it. Even if I don't agree with you at all, I think it is understandable and perfectly reasonable to say I don't want this in my entertainment this show is not for me.

Personally I can understand her wanting to redeploy and remake it from something horrible and terrible to something that affirms her life and how far she has come. I consider it very similar to how momiji wants to remember all his memories especially those of his mom.
Thesimplechild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Had Raphtalia gotten a tattoo of the slave seal rather than putting the very real, very harmful thing back on, this whole discourse on slavery endorsement would be a lot less volatile.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Thesimplechild wrote:
Had Raphtalia gotten a tattoo of the slave seal rather than putting the very real, very harmful thing back on, this whole discourse on slavery endorsement would be a lot less volatile.

gee cause the tattoo would have been permanent, making the crest issue even more hated than the magic removable seal.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:52 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Thesimplechild wrote:

gee cause the tattoo would have been permanent, making the crest issue even more hated than the magic removable seal.

Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you’ll be criticized anyway. You’ll be damned if you do and damned if you don’t.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13