• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Anybody Love ORESUKI?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I completely lost it on that "Even Shuka Saito betrayed me!" subtitle.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
He was never presented as this irredeemable garbage lord like you claim he was, he always had a good heart, you just had to do a lot of digging to get to it. Probably the biggest evidence supporting this is in the opening episodes is when Joro agrees to help Cosmos and Himawari in their romantic endeavors and doesn't actually think of the "catch one of them on the rebound" plan until afterward. Which very strongly implies that he would have helped them even when it brought him no personal benefit.

There was also that scene in, I think, the second episode where he only gets mad at Pansy the moment she belittles the feelings of Cosmos and Himawari.

Then he says he can't support Sun-chan getting together with Pansy, even though Sun-chan is like the one person in the entire series who he is unreservedly 100% a friend to, because he's trying to help the other girls.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:44 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I just want to say that I think its quite okay for people to like the show, I still enjoyed it despite its problems. People get different things out of the same work and its good for it to gel with yourselves. We just have to accept that not everyone will agree with our personal takes on it.(Also an attempt to avoid entering into the realms of trying to persuade others that their opinion is wrong).
Bless you, especially for the last part!! The criticism of the show in this article isn't wrong IMO , just overdone and misplaced which comes in at "the show was bad because it didn't do the following that it should have done that I wanted..." part. Seems to me there are way too many people going about trying to convince others that they are wrong when it comes to opinion rather than talking about or pointing out the problems with the basis of those opinions.The former is easy and the latter takes more thought and a desire to discuss things...
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to see that a lot of people here and in the review had approximately the same reaction to this show that I did, which is that it was really promising up until ep 3 or 4 (I can't remember which anymore) after which it basically abandoned the things that made it interesting in the first place and became really boring.

I did enjoy bench-kun and its (definitely not the)Imperial March theme while it lasted, though.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It did have one of the best takes on a recap episode I have ever seen - sadly that is a bit undermined by the fact that they needed one additional episode to resolve the final story arc.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:07 am Reply with quote
This show feels like the embodiment of "trying to have your cake and eat it too" It wants to be meta commentary on the harem genre and it's tropes, but then play those tropes straight at the same time.

It's a rather annoying trend in these shows when they try to get meta, but then don't actually do anything different beyond lip service.

I enjoyed the show for what it was, but it really didn't live up to the expectations set up in the first couple of episodes and I feel that's where this article's disappointment comes from. It looked like it was trying to be something different, only to fall in line with everything it spoke out against. There's no bigger disappointment than when a show sets itself apart from the norm, only to reveal that it's just like every other show.

I can at least praise the show because it is pretty funny at times, and not in the usual "haha boobs" way most harem are (There is plenty of that however). All in all, the show is alright. There are glimpses of depth in the show, but it's undercut by being as by the numbers as possible,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2