• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sword/Shield Games Get 2 Expansions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
How about they expand that Pokedex? But no seriously I want a Pokemon Colosseum & X.D remake or sequel.
Maukadragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
How about they expand that Pokedex? But no seriously I want a Pokemon Colosseum & X.D remake or sequel.

But they are. They said that 200+ pokemon are returning bringing the total dex count to around 600.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
Guess they figured out how to 'balance the metagame' by now, lol.

What a farce. I'll wait a year for Pokemon Gun, or the Gen IV remakes.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

I figured they're doing away with the "3rd versions" of the mainline games and just do DLC expansion passes, and frankly it's a lot more economical. $30 for both new areas per version is not too shabby at all.
DarthSomebody

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Garchomp is back!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

Enjoy the process.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I think my one concern about it being all DLC content instead of a third physical game is if Nintendo makes a new system several years down the road and it's not backwards compatible, unless they re-release this game on future systems, will you still be able to access all this post game original content?
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:

There's absolutely no reason to do a Colosseum-style game in 2020, or really at any point after we got XY. The entire purpose was to let you see your Pokemon fight in 3D as opposed to low-res sprites on a Gameboy screen. If Colosseum is going to have the same graphics as Sword and Shield, then there's virtually no appeal or purpose anymore to transfer Pokemon over to another game just to have batles.

darkchibi07 wrote:
I figured they're doing away with the "3rd versions" of the mainline games and just do DLC expansion passes, and frankly it's a lot more economical. $30 for both new areas per version is not too shabby at all.

It really depends how long or big these expansions are. Will it really the same content as a sequel? Remember, up until Sword and Shield Pokemon games only cost 40 dollars, 10 dollars more than this pass. Will they have more content than those to justify the extra 10 dollars if we compare it to that? And the thing about making this expansion passes now is that the people who always waited until the 3rd version/sequel now can't do that anymore.

Personally, I'm just glad the updated old roster is not behind a paywall, because that would have been the worst response they could have done to the backlash. If you have all your old Pokemon waiting in Bank, you might not need to buy the pass if you don't care about the story or PvE stuff and can just go do online battles as per usual.
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

darkchibi07 wrote:

It really depends how long or big these expansions are. Will it really the same content as a sequel? Remember, up until Sword and Shield Pokemon games only cost 40 dollars, 10 dollars more than this pass. Will they have more content than those to justify the extra 10 dollars if we compare it to that? And the thing about making this expansion passes now is that the people who always waited until the 3rd version/sequel now can't do that anymore.

We really have no proof a 3rd version would have been 40 dollars, so IMO this is close to the best outcome. The only thing i would have changed would have been to give the option of just purchasing one of the dlcs for 15 dollars
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't make sense to put the updated dex behind a pay wall because then someone who did pay for the update would not be able to battle those without the update and vice versa. Unless of course GameFreak wants to bring back Missingno into competitive play. Anime hyper
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean we are finally going to get an update addressing some of the technical and animation issues that are present in the games currently.
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
So the Regis are returning with two new ones.

Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos are getting Galaran versions.

Slowking either has a Galaran version, or Slowpoke is getting a third evo. Or maybe Slowking will have a third stage evo?

All very interested, but can we please just get the ability to choose our own uniform, rather than always getting stuck with the default version?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
This will be interesting.
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:

Slowking either has a Galaran version, or Slowpoke is getting a third evo. Or maybe Slowking will have a third stage evo?

If I'm remembering correctly I think they said both Slowbro and Slowking are getting Galarian forms
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:05 am Reply with quote
It's good they are planning a free update to add the older/new pokemons's data to allow trades but they shouldn't have tied the extensions to each game, people who bought both games will have to settle for having one of them extensionless unless they buy twice said extensions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2