• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Granblue Fantasy the Animation 2 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
While the first season is not the best written and most interesting action/adventure show, it was fun. But season 2 was a big let down across the board.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
as if the show was more interested in playing it safe than in actually making an impression. . .

Yeah, this sums up my opinion of the series. Had no interest in watching it past the first episode of this season because of that, and it sounds like I didn't miss much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
I slightly prefer season 2 over the first season. While I found the scale of the adventurers to have less of an impact, I ended up enjoying the more personal stories being told. I like the focus given to Catalina and Rackham, though my biggest surprise was during the mist arc with Gran. It's rare to see a character that's essentially an audience insert get any form of self reflection.

Granblue always been seen as comfort food for me, so I hope it gets another season. Though while I hope they tell a complete story, I really just want more Djeeta episodes.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gran and Lyria's relationship continues to be charming, and the depiction of their bond really benefits from being kept largely platonic. We can infer more romantic feelings if so inclined, of course, but the quiet closeness that the two maintain is almost more rewarding than a romance, because it emphasizes the trust they have in each other and how important it is. Until it is mentioned in the middle of the series, it's easy to forget that their lives are physically tied to each other because their closeness feels so natural to their interactions. They're still both separate characters with their own thoughts and goals, but they do better together, and that's lovely.

For some reason, it seems to me that if they were both girls or both guys, then people would argue that the heroes “are definitely a couple and that any platonic action between them are "subtext". Even if the show speaks directly, that it is about friendship, and not about romance. I can understand why people hope to see romance between characters of the same sex, but when people begin to praise the lack of romance in the relationship between male and female lead, it seems pretty strange to me.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
I try to take romance in stories on a case-by-case basis, regardless of the genders involved, but that is an interesting point. Personally, I like Gran and Lyria as a more platonic couple because of their magical bond, so a solid romantic commitment wouldn't feel true to who they are, but instead like a off-shoot of that at this point. If they grow into a romance naturally, I'd be very happy, but it needs to develop based on their journey rather than the magical bond to be really believable.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I haven't got to see season two yet but I enjoyed season one a lot and it's old school fantasy JRPG feeling. But I was curious to know if there was any noticeably difference in the animation style since season two was done by MAPPA while season one was A-1 Pictures?
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:21 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I try to take romance in stories on a case-by-case basis, regardless of the genders involved, but that is an interesting point. Personally, I like Gran and Lyria as a more platonic couple because of their magical bond, so a solid romantic commitment wouldn't feel true to who they are, but instead like a off-shoot of that at this point. If they grow into a romance naturally, I'd be very happy, but it needs to develop based on their journey rather than the magical bond to be really believable.

I agree that a rather long development is better than random romance for the reason "I'm a guy and you're a girl".
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:55 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I haven't got to see season two yet but I enjoyed season one a lot and it's old school fantasy JRPG feeling. But I was curious to know if there was any noticeably difference in the animation style since season two was done by MAPPA while season one was A-1 Pictures?

Finally caught up with this.

The character designs, especially the faces, are different, probably for the worse. Lots more CGI, which isn’t quite as well composited or shaded as S1. There was definitely a lot more lazy CGI cut and paste for cutting corners. Though animation was better in parts, it tended to suck more in other parts (the stills were much more common). I felt the detailed cityscape scenes weren’t quite as attractive. The classic JRPG feel is still there, though. This is definitely a cut above isekai and VRMMO if you are as sick of them as I am. God bless Cygames for giving it to us, even if they played it safe.

On a side note, I did not like how episode 12 just sort of dumped Noa. Unlike Vira, he gets no send off nor is the “promise” that he would be taken on the journey “enforced” in the same mechanics as the other promises. I felt this was a blinding plot hole likely taken to avoid making some of the male audience uncomfortable, which is a shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1