• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BEASTARS Anime Premieres on Netflix Outside of Japan on March 13

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:11 am Reply with quote
At least it's a date that shouldn't cause much problems for people being able to watch it immediately.

Unlike whatever moron who thought releasing the second half of Carole and Tuesday on Dec 24th was an acceptable idea.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:17 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Doubtful - Violet Evergarden's Non-US simulcast seems to have mostly been thanks to pressure from the production committee (I guess the couldn't get them to budge on the US) and multiple creators for series have expressed frustration or surprise at Netflix not releasing series abroad when they air. Heck Beastars' mangaka first found out publicly, through twitter, that Netflix wasn't streaming the series outside of Japan.
I'm just at a complete loss why Netflix keeps insisting on this binge watch model then though they seem to have no issue with simulcast in very select areas. But hopefully as Disney+ has already ditched the binge watch model and they put out more of their own original shows, Netflix will get a clue that people like watching things weekly, especially after the success of The Mandalorian.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:45 am Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
They'd stop if it was costing them money, but it's clearly working just fine for them. Most Americans would rather binge than watch week by week

I don't think that's necessarily true. Before the internet, unless you had a DVR type of thing, everyone watched everything as it came out; not much of a choice. Netflix is deliberately designed to encourage binge watching (it continuously autoplays through entire shows and goes right on to the next suggested one, skims over intros and credits, etc.) for reasons I don't fully understand, so that's what people tend to do on it.

Most people want to do what's convenient and obvious, and/or what their friends are doing. It's not that Americans just love binge-watching everything, it's that the apparent convenience of watching whatever you want on Netflix has ironically morphed into just doing what the platform wants us to do, in a manner similar to watching whatever's on broadcast TV for hours on end. The anime community has a strong attachment to going episode-by-episode and seeing things the moment they come out--also not dissimilar to how TV originally worked, but incompatible with Netflix. But, ultimately, it's true that they won't change it, unless someone convinces them they could make a lot more money by doing so... even if that's true, it's a tough sell. Big institutions of all kinds dislike risk.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:55 am Reply with quote
Oh, so this is why id was so hard to find people talking about Beastars despite how great it is and how much it stands out.
Unfortunately, many series depend on Netflix to get enough funding nad this might be one of them. Otherwise I doubt producers would be so eager about condemning their series to obscurity.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They only released Violet Evergarden weekly in the UK. The US still had to wait for it to come out all at once. On the other hand, Netflix has seemingly no issue streaming their anime weekly in Japan. It’s only outside Japan that they insist on the binge watch model. Which makes me wonder if this is something that’s being insisted upon by the Japanese licensors.

If you mean forcing Netflix to release weekly, probably. Otherwise it would serioisly mess up their marketing cycles. If you want to sell BDs, CDs and merchandise, you need the show to be on the public's minds for three months, not just a weekend.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Honestly, once piracy of their shows finally starts to dip into their licensed anime viewership, they'll do one of two things:

Best case scenario, they cave and do weekly simulcasts outside of Japan.
Worst case scenario, they stop licensing TV anime for distribution outside of Japan.

Or the third scenario neither will happen and they'll just keep doing what they're doing.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm just at a complete loss why Netflix keeps insisting on this binge watch model then though they seem to have no issue with simulcast in very select areas. But hopefully as Disney+ has already ditched the binge watch model and they put out more of their own original shows, Netflix will get a clue that people like watching things weekly, especially after the success of The Mandalorian.

People can cite Mandorlian all they want, but then I'll cite Stranger Things, Orange is the New Black, Lucifer Season 4, 13 Reasons Why, and dozens of other huge hits on Netflix that all drop their load on a single day of the year for people to binge and go on to be super popular. Japan I can see not doing it since they're so used to weekly episodes of shows that can go on for years, but Americans have always been used to seasonal format, only getting new episodes 13-26 weeks of the year and reruns the rest of the time. Americans took to bunging pretty well and you can find various sites that show most Americans prefer the format these days, especially millennials. Besides, it's not like there weren't people complaining how Mandalorian was episode by episode. I saw tons of people complaining and wanting Disney to drop all the episodes at once so they didn't have to wait. Actually, I kinda theorize Mandalorian was weekly because Disney was trying to prop the initial numbers up of Disney+. Good way to keep 'em subscribed for an extra month if the episodes go past the first renewal date since that was the main selling point for the service. Most people would have bailed on the service December 12th if they just binged it the first day.

Netflix has been in the anime game for a while now, so if it wasn't working out for them they'd probably have switched it up by now, so them continuing to do it suggests it must be doing fine for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2