• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake Game Delayed to April 10

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know the next Square-Enix game isn't immune to gross mismanagement, either.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I donno.... I'd rather wait a month for a better game. I waited this long what is one more month?
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
I donno.... I'd rather wait a month for a better game. I waited this long what is one more month?

exactly.

we dont want to have to do another ff14 release.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Square Enix delays its games, and the sky is blue.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
It's the same exact month as Cyberpunk (6 days before). They are really confident in the fanboys spending there money on part of a remake.

I mean I want it myself, but it's way on the back-burner after the price drops because I'm not paying full price for part of a game I've technically played before and if have to choose between this and Cyberpunk it's Cyberpunk every frickin' time.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Of course.

Unpopular opinion, but I don’t think it needs a remake. I’d have preferred a new game, but my guess is they are struggling to come up with fresh ideas and stories combined with a majority of the early fans having aged out of video games by now. It doesn’t help that JRPGs aren’t as popular as they once were, which is largely due to the proliferation of MMORPGs since the 00’s. IMHO, I also see less and less of the magic in the newer entries that made the early entries enjoyable. They need to find a way to breath new life into franchise. I don’t think the remake, no matter how pretty, is going to do that. Maybe it might serve as an entry point for a newer generation, but what then?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Of course.

Unpopular opinion, but I don’t think it needs a remake. I’d have preferred a new game, but my guess is they are struggling to come up with fresh ideas and stories combined with a majority of the early fans having aged out of video games by now. It doesn’t help that JRPGs aren’t as popular as they once were, which is largely due to the proliferation of MMORPGs since the 00’s. IMHO, I also see less and less of the magic in the newer entries that made the early entries enjoyable. They need to find a way to breath new life into franchise. I don’t think the remake, no matter how pretty, is going to do that. Maybe it might serve as an entry point for a newer generation, but what then?

I think that an awful lot of the entertainment industry in general is leaning on sequels and remakes. It's not just video games, it's movies too. How many Hollywood superhero movies (aka remakes of comics) have we had in the last two decades? Anime and manga reboots? Established franchises sell well, and remakes of classics are especially safe bets. I'd rather see new content too but I think I can see where they're coming from.

I think that SE is making some pretty big mistakes with the FF franchise though. It seems that it's becoming less and less of a JRPG (and certainly not one in the classic sense) and more of an action game. And that's puzzling to me because SE already has a very successful action RPG franchise: Kingdom Hearts. Normally it's a poor business strategy to blur the distinctions between your different product lines like that.

I'd love to see SE kick out an old-school style JRPG. It doesn't even have to have AAA-graphics or voice acting, though those things would be nice. In my opinion SE's desire to have the best possible visuals has destroyed the focus on the core mechanics of the game.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Doom Eternal will hold people over.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Of course.

I think that an awful lot of the entertainment industry in general is leaning on sequels and remakes. It's not just video games, it's movies too. How many Hollywood superhero movies (aka remakes of comics) have we had in the last two decades? Anime and manga reboots? Established franchises sell well, and remakes of classics are especially safe bets. I'd rather see new content too but I think I can see where they're coming from.

I think that SE is making some pretty big mistakes with the FF franchise though. It seems that it's becoming less and less of a JRPG (and certainly not one in the classic sense) and more of an action game. And that's puzzling to me because SE already has a very successful action RPG franchise: Kingdom Hearts. Normally it's a poor business strategy to blur the distinctions between your different product lines like that.

I'd love to see SE kick out an old-school style JRPG. It doesn't even have to have AAA-graphics or voice acting, though those things would be nice. In my opinion SE's desire to have the best possible visuals has destroyed the focus on the core mechanics of the game.

I mean I'm pretty sure I've played a couple of Square Enix games recently that was more standard RPG but none of them are on a main console. Bravely Default the first one to come to mind.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:

I mean I'm pretty sure I've played a couple of Square Enix games recently that was more standard RPG but none of them are on a main console. Bravely Default the first one to come to mind.

Yeah, they've had a couple, but they've mostly been "substandard" in some way. Some, like Bravely Default, aren't for main consoles. I liked World of Final Fantasy a lot, but it had the Pokemon-style "mirages" instead of a traditional combat system, so it's kinda hard to call that a standard JRPG too. I can't be too critical though, they had some moments of brilliance too. I really love FFIV the After Years; I even bought a PSP just to play it, though that game has to be at least 10 years old at this point.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:31 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
It doesn’t help that JRPGs aren’t as popular as they once were, which is largely due to the proliferation of MMORPGs since the 00’s. IMHO, I also see less and less of the magic in the newer entries that made the early entries enjoyable.

MMOs have not really been relevant for over half a decade now. It's a dead genre that companies have stopped chasing years ago. The only two MMOs that have survived into 2020 are World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 14. The last big "WoW Killer" I remember was Wild Star, which came out in 2014 which failed spectacularly. There hasn't been a big push into the MMO genre where everyone tries to dethrone WoW in ages. I think they all realized they'd never be able to compete with Blizzard. The big thing these days are shooters games as a service. Destiny, Anthem, Division, Fallout 76, and battle royals like Fortnite and PUBG. None of which I would classify as MMOs or RPGs at all.

If anything, mobile gaming has taken over the reigns of RPGs. Fate Grand Order is the biggest thing in Japan, and there's tons of other RPGs that have come out on phones because that's where the money is. Even most licensed anime games have made the switch to the mobile platform over consoles, a lot of which use RPG mechanics like the gacha games for One Piece, Naruto, etc. But we're still getting plenty of RPGs on consoles as well.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Nomura punishing fans for the leaks. Laughing

I look forward to buying the inevitable box-set of this entire compilation.

Though they'll probably just stuff it all onto one of those UltraBD-Roms for PS5...
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Kind of glad since my game purchases in March is already packed enough as is .
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
April isn't the best time to delay it to.Between resident evil 3 remake and cyberpunk just to name a few games that come out in the same month it is already crowded.They had so much time to make this game that shouldn't be delaying it.Mind you it's not even a complete game.It's only the first part.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
April isn't the best time to delay it to.Between resident evil 3 remake and cyberpunk just to name a few games that come out in the same month it is already crowded.They had so much time to make this game that shouldn't be delaying it.Mind you it's not even a complete game.It's only the first part.

I don't see the big deal. Not everyone plays every game ever release I doubt the FF7 Remake is aimed at the same audience as an American open world shooter like Cyberpunk is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2