• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony Skips E3 Again This Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:02 am Reply with quote
Well that's it: E3 is dead. Everyone was thinking it after the lackluster 2019 conference, but now it's confirmed.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote
E3 has been on the slow decline for several years, at least since the last console cycle. It's a shame. The industry used to be really keen on making it a real spectacle and a great gathering place for fans, almost like Comiket or one of the big anime conventions. But the Big 3 have been undermining that through pursuit of their own small showcases that I don't know have been nearly as effective. They obviously think their own promotions have been better since that's the path they've continued to take, but as a fan I will miss E3 when it's gone.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:45 am Reply with quote
Besides, if people even remember, the last few times Sony was actually there, their E3 presentation had been becoming underwhelming. So they realize better quit while they're ahead

BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:42 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Besides, if people even remember, the last few times Sony was actually there, their E3 presentation had been becoming underwhelming. So they realize better quit while they're ahead

I mean Nintendo had quite a few shitty E3 presentations long before they started Direct, Microsoft (who haven't yet started their own presentations), and then there's the fact that the State Of Play presentations for Sony have been a bit lacking.

In the long and short of very few publisher's have had good showings at E3 the last decade or so.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I've really never been into E3 anyway, but at least at a point in time there was some kind of purpose to it. With Nintendo able to get just as much attention by just doing a Direct any time, and both Sony and Microsoft having their own version of that (not as big a deal, certainly, but it probably would be if they started treating them like it), then it's basically pointless to do it anymore.

And that's not even getting into all of the nonsense the people organizing it are wanting to do with it this year.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:45 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

The 2018 debacle may have had something to do with the background beef between Sony and the ESA.

But for those of us watching at home, this is all likely a non story, as I'd guess that Sony will still do a live event days prior to E3, as undoubtedly 3rd parties will want to feature their next gen games there which necessitates PS5 being detailed beforehand.

Just because Sony won't use the E3 venue, doesn't mean we'll get nothing.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Sony never exactly had first party support like Nintendo did, and all their exclusives they hype up are western games I'm not really interested in. So the whole Sony Direct thing never interested me. After Nintendo peaces out from E3 I kind of stopped watching it since all the good stuff is announced at TGS anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1