• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chihayafuru 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about this, but...

@Bamboo Dong
Quote:
Not even about Taichi, really, but about her not realizing that he had ambitions to be a Master.

But she is wrong, right?

Quote:
I want Chihaya to be in Kyoto even less than she does.

This decision to remove her from the tournament completely fractures this season, and almost grinds it to a halt.

For you.
A lesser quality Chihayafuru would have her skipping the trip, but this higher quality Chihayafuru can't let the characters forget that Karuta isn't a way of life, don't put food on the table.

Quote:
Even Taichi's matches are breezed through, because the stakes are just too low.

The stakes for Taichi are "low"? Dude...

Quote:
And of course, the moment Taichi realizes that in karuta—and in life—sometimes there are cards that are just never picked. It's a clunky metaphor for whatever heartache he's feeling right now, especially if you stop to think about Harada's nonsensical and statistically improbable declaration, but what matters most is the pang of sadness in his eyes.

But the whole point was to fight Taichi's defeatist complex.
"Play your cards in a way that you chose your own bad cards Taichi, don't let it to luck! Make your own luck!"

Quote:
Suo showing up at Shinobu's doorstep ended up being a big bag of nothing, and their presence didn't really add much to the tournament, either.

There's a reason for what Suo did (visiting Shinobu), but fair, you can't decipher this from what was shown about him at this point in the story.
But not "nothing", something involving Shinobu happened there, didn't you see?

Quote:
We don't even know most of the players in the tournament, so his peacocking just chews up screen time that could better be used in other ways.

Quote:
Character development lurches forward with starts and stops, while numerous strands are picked up but never quite followed to completion.

Quote:
But nothing really comes to fruition.

It's called, "laying out the groundwork", I believe.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:54 am Reply with quote
I believe the way one feels about the latest episodes depends on which characters are carrying the show for you. I'm totally fine with Chihaya being out of the picture for a bit since I really enjoy watching Taichi.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
While I too was a little shocked that Chihaya didn't rush to compete as well, and I'm a little disappointed that her Queen match probably won't be this season, I also think that Taichi is overdue for his own character development arc, independent of his relationship with Chihaya. I personally couldn't care less about any Taichi/Chihaya romance (granted I may be biased because I always liked Arata better).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ah, episode 14 was just a thrill! Bamboo really captured how I feel about Harada’s whole story arc. Initially, I was rooting for Arata to win, but after these last two episodes, Harada all the way.

Quote:
After three seasons of metaphors and veiled comments, it's out in the open. Truly, I don't even care who gets the girl, or if anyone does at all. I just wanted one of the characters to use their words and actually communicate, and it was a relief to finally see it.

Yes, yes, so exciting to get some tangible forward momentum. And Chihaya’s stunned—and prolonged—reaction was so entertaining. Plus, let’s not forget about Taichi. He used his words, too. I loved that bit where he returned Suo’s scarf. Sure, it was indirect, but still, he took a stand. One of my favorite episodes so far, too!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Nothing can be worse than living a moment longer)
When I cannot bear growing any weaker than I already have.

For what it's worth, the McMillan translation of that line is, “If I live longer, I cannot bear to hide this secret love.”

Those are...very different. Is there really no consensus as to what sentiment the author was trying to convey? oO
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
My jaw dropped when Arata confessed, definitely wasn't expecting that. Such a great episode =)
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 am Reply with quote
Hahaha covnam, you mean just like your profile picture Laughing ?
I definitely didn't see that confession coming. I was waiting until he would say something that would alter the meaning of his 'suki' sentence... but it wasn't coming. He really did confess! Also I liked that when he said he lacked some qualities, he also said the ability to be mean. As someone who used to think that being mean and getting into conflicts was a bad thing, that's kinda refreshing. You don't hear that often.
Also, Taichi naturally has some mean spirit in his character. Maybe he should use it to this benefit.
Don Perron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:03 am Reply with quote
I know I'm a bit late for that but only now I read the reviews and if I don't say that now I know will die with regrets so please forgive me if I sound a bit crude. About review of ep 10 and 11 , the reviewer said that Taichi was not a great friend and that he was basically a jerk lacking kindness toward Chihaya, etc. Well, somethings are just matter of opinions, some other things are just really misunderstandings that leads to mistake opinions. The thought that in all the years they've been playing and practicing together, he's never given her any indication that he shares the same dream as her as proof of a true betrayal and worthy of contempt it's bullshit. Taichi don't dream with being meijin, this it's visible on the episode, it's showed on the episode what he wants not be a coward. It's become a strong as a person through karuta, become his own persona and not that coward young sel he was on the past, he says that on the episode for heaven's sake.

After when Chihaya says “I never heard Taichi say he wanted to be the Meijin!”, she's not feeling sad for feel betrayed for him because he was "hiding such secret dream" from her or something like that, she's feeling sad because she knows deep down he don't really want to be Meijin but even so he's going so far for it. He lied to her (and his mother and school), exchange the most important event in high-school for a fiery tournament (with low chances of winning), go through so much hardships to achieve something he don't really want nor dream about (and again, she knows that, she even say that in the match between Arata vs Harada that it would be nice if he was there even though he doesn't care about being Meijin). It doesn't make sense to her seeing Taichi like that, she's feeling bad for that. She want understand but it's complicated.

Also, you said that after come back he goes to bed without saying good night and that he also ignores Chihaya the next day.... Well, he kinda said good night to her before she kick his door demanding further explanations even though he just some minutes about of literally faint from tiredness. And the scene after, well... I think you're just skipping too much in hasty conclusions here (okay, it's an interpretive scene alright but still), if you look closely you will see they're literally in different groups and it's not said anywhere that he's ignoring Chihaya (actually, I think veru probably they said something like "hey" about each other when they crossed) but the thing it's he obviously not in the mood of a field trip and Chihaya it's obviously worried with him because of everything that happened, but again it's hard talk about that because it's just not that simple. Again, it's an interpretive scene but I think you're not really putting much effort interpreting and just taking that to the bad side, only.

And after you said that when she's overwhelming Taichi afterward sounded like something of payback for hide his karuta ambitions from her for so many years and that seems nearly unforgivable (again, he lied about the fever not about hiding a secret dream of being a Meijin) but on this same scene she says she's doing that because she think if she goes easy on him she fears he may stop play karuta (also, it's a trait of her not go easy with anyone regardless of anything, especially in such delicate case), seriously it's on the episode, for heaven's sake.

Whew, that's it. Again, I'm terrible sorry if I sounded crude or rude (yeah I know I probably sounding like a jerk here), but I seriously have absolutely nothing against the reviewer but if I didn't put it out of this I wouldn't be able to keep living keeping this inside of me. I just needed do that. Sorry again.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:08 pm Reply with quote
What I loved most about ep 15 is how Chihaya is just gobsmacked like, for days, over Arata’s confession of love. Her dazed expression was hilarious!

As for making Taichi squirm, I kept wondering if Suo would accidentally out Taichi for calling Chihaya his girlfriend. Kinda had me biting my nails for a bit.

All in all, a thoroughly entertaining episode. What a perfect way to come off the high of episode 14.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
I’m very glad that Shinobu “finally became a character”.
I really, really loved her whole drama from here on.

Suou drama is still unfolding in the manga, I still don’t know essential bits of his story.
Shinobu is different. Before we just knew that she was a loner, nothing more. Now we’ll know what this really means, now the story and she will deal with this lonely life, and much more! In a way that it’s also relevant in the outside world, with the already launched “Chihaya Fund” campaign.
Gho5tRUN3R

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:43 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

Quote:

This decision to remove her from the tournament completely fractures this season, and almost grinds it to a halt.

For you.
A lesser quality Chihayafuru would have her skipping the trip, but this higher quality Chihayafuru can't let the characters forget that Karuta isn't a way of life, don't put food on the table.

In what world is a class trip about recreational activities and tourism have anything to do with becoming a teacher or getting a job later on? I could understand if Chihaya chose to miss the qualifications if she was doing something like a prep course, but a class trip? No, that decision made no sense and felt completely out of the blue.

As for Karuta not being a way of life or putting food on the table? Well just wait for the show to catch up to the manga and then we'll see. Wheels start turning in that regard.

This is probably one of my favorite moments from the manga. Shinobu has been teased to us forever as this lonely, but prideful girl and now we see her peeled away a bit. When she crushed that cookie, I had to read ahead in the manga because I couldn't wait to see how she handles all of this. Chihaya broke her promise, yes, but I loved that she fixed Shinobu's sleeves for her and gave a supporting push on the back. Just some good wholesome competitive spirit going on that I think Shinobu desperately needs.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:50 am Reply with quote
Gho5tRUN3R wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

Quote:

For you.

In what world is a class trip about recreational activities and tourism have anything to do with becoming a teacher or getting a job later on? I could understand if Chihaya chose to miss the qualifications if she was doing something like a prep course, but a class trip? No, that decision made no sense and felt completely out of the blue.

As for Karuta not being a way of life or putting food on the table? Well just wait for the show to catch up to the manga and then we'll see. Wheels start turning in that regard.

This is probably one of my favorite moments from the manga. Shinobu has been teased to us forever as this lonely, but prideful girl and now we see her peeled away a bit. When she crushed that cookie, I had to read ahead in the manga because I couldn't wait to see how she handles all of this. Chihaya broke her promise, yes, but I loved that she fixed Shinobu's sleeves for her and gave a supporting push on the back. Just some good wholesome competitive spirit going on that I think Shinobu desperately needs.

Wait? Did you read the manga? Up to which part?
It's very strange for you to all that if you read the manga.

High school trips are a BIG DEAL in Japan, related to the teaching job, and not, the decision didn't came "out of the blue". Already forget how many months Chihaya spend thinking about her future? She had to go because he was serious about what she wanted.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:21 am Reply with quote
Yay! It’s back!

Never mind the following, my original post, since I was unduly pessimistic. ^^;

The "New Anime/Daily Streaming Reviews" tab list no longer includes Chihayafuru, skipping from Boruto to Darwin's Game. Maybe it's only dropped off due to lacking a recent review, or maybe Bamboo Dong has more important things to do than write these reviews...
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love this notion that this or that aspect of the anime is bad because of stakes. What show have ya' been watching? Chihayafuru may get a bit melodramatic at times, but the stakes are very low. The whole point of the premise--and part of what makes it so interesting IMHO--is that karuta is a totally impractical hobby. The game itself is merely a lens through which we view the characters--and they view the world, growing and transforming as the perspective shifts.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't paying attention to the reviews.
I tried to read this week reviews and couldn't finish.
WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT PERSON?! He is much more deluded about Taichi than Arata is at this point in the story.
Seriously, makes me FURIOUS.

Is he really "blaming" and vilifying Taichi or was he just joking in the beginning? Question
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4