• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
I wanted to give the anime the benefit of the doubt and hope that they'd fix a notable problem with this arc, but based on what the preview for the next episode showed spoiler[it's looking like they aren't going to expand on the girls' fight against Rikiya at all, considering the preview's only focused on the stuff after we get the flashback to the girls' stuff.]

There’s not really much that can be done to extend that fight. Because of its place in the narrative the girls can’t definitively defeat him because that’s not it for Rikiya.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:33 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Marimo0 wrote:
I wanted to give the anime the benefit of the doubt and hope that they'd fix a notable problem with this arc, but based on what the preview for the next episode showed spoiler[it's looking like they aren't going to expand on the girls' fight against Rikiya at all, considering the preview's only focused on the stuff after we get the flashback to the girls' stuff.]

There’s not really much that can be done to extend that fight. Because of its place in the narrative the girls can’t definitively defeat him because that’s not it for Rikiya.

The obvious thing would be to show how they initially captured Rikiya before his quirk-boosting drug kicked in. Cause last we previously saw them, they had only just started fighting with Rikiya while all the heroes rushed the yakuza hideout, and then the flashback starts with him already restrained. So just show how team Ryukyu handled him initially with his vitality draining quirk, and if the fight itself wouldn't still last that long then fill it in with more character building flashbacks, particularly Nejire's flashback to get an idea of her past and motivations like what we got for Tamaki, Kirishima, and Mirio. spoiler[Cause the only thing we're going to get out of her in the future is how she wants to win a school beauty pageant.] Then end the episode with what we did get, with them slamming Rikiya through the road and into where Overhaul and Deku were fighting, having their episode timeline match up with the previous episode's timeline, and then proceed with what we got after that for the next episode. And if for some reason they couldn't cut things or pace them enough to have given them the episode based on what they were adapting from the manga, then the recap episode should've just been scrapped.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
Marimo0 wrote:

The obvious thing would be to show how they initially captured Rikiya before his quirk-boosting drug kicked in. Cause last we previously saw them, they had only just started fighting with Rikiya while all the heroes rushed the yakuza hideout, and then the flashback starts with him already restrained. So just show how team Ryukyu handled him initially with his vitality draining quirk, and if the fight itself wouldn't still last that long then fill it in with more character building flashbacks, particularly Nejire's flashback to get an idea of her past and motivations like what we got for Tamaki, Kirishima, and Mirio. spoiler[Cause the only thing we're going to get out of her in the future is how she wants to win a school beauty pageant.] Then end the episode with what we did get, with them slamming Rikiya through the road and into where Overhaul and Deku were fighting, having their episode timeline match up with the previous episode's timeline, and then proceed with what we got after that for the next episode. And if for some reason they couldn't cut things or pace them enough to have given them the episode based on what they were adapting from the manga, then the recap episode should've just been scrapped.

Uh I don't think getting rid of the recap episode would have changed anything. Your saying it should be scrapped as if keeping it was an option. At this point a recap episode per season is just mandatory. If they didn't want to expand it, they just decided not too simple as that.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Your saying it should be scrapped as if keeping it was an option. At this point a recap episode per season is just mandatory. If they didn't want to expand it, they just decided not too simple as that.

Yeah, and that's the problem. They didn't try to fix what was one of the most well known flaws of the arc, that all the girls got shafted, even though they've devoted entire episodes before to do the same thing I've suggested in previous seasons, such as showing Tsuyu's internship that was only based on one panel in the manga in season 2, or showing how Momo and the classmates she was paired up with passed the first round of the license exam of season 3 instead of it being an offscreen thing.

And if there's some source saying that the recap episodes are absolutely mandatory and no one on the production staff was allowed to argue against it, by all means share it. I'd like to see it.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
Your saying it should be scrapped as if keeping it was an option. At this point a recap episode per season is just mandatory. If they didn't want to expand it, they just decided not too simple as that.

Yeah, and that's the problem. They didn't try to fix what was one of the most well known flaws of the arc, that all the girls got shafted, even though they've devoted entire episodes before to do the same thing I've suggested in previous seasons, such as showing Tsuyu's internship that was only based on one panel in the manga in season 2, or showing how Momo and the classmates she was paired up with passed the first round of the license exam of season 3 instead of it being an offscreen thing.

And if there's some source saying that the recap episodes are absolutely mandatory and no one on the production staff was allowed to argue against it, by all means share it. I'd like to see it.

Those episodes are very different compared to this. They are expanding on literal blank placements in the show. This isn’t like that, it’s more stricter & less free so there’s far less you can do about it.

The recap episodes are there for the viewers who haven’t seen the show since the last season ended a year ago. And that’s without getting into the fact that every show does recaps.

You may not like it but it’s something we’re stuck with so we all gotta live with.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how the current episode is harder to change than those other episodes. Having various points in the Rikiya fight already pre-determined should make it easier to interpolate the spaces in between, not harder, for the most part.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Adding another episode for the girls fight would be dumb as heck, it woudl totally ruin the pacing of the arc.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Marimo0 wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

Those episodes are very different compared to this. They are expanding on literal blank placements in the show. This isn’t like that, it’s more stricter & less free so there’s far less you can do about it.

The recap episodes are there for the viewers who haven’t seen the show since the last season ended a year ago. And that’s without getting into the fact that every show does recaps.

You may not like it but it’s something we’re stuck with so we all gotta live with.

In this day and age, I really don't think recap episodes are all that necessary. It's not that hard for people to look up and remind themselves. And other Shonen Jump series with breaks between seasons like Food Wars and We Never Learn don't need a whole episode just to get the audience up to speed. I'm pretty sure MHA could have fit everything relevant that the audience needs to know getting into this season in about 4-6 minutes.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
And other Shonen Jump series with breaks between seasons like Food Wars and We Never Learn don't need a whole episode just to get the audience up to speed. I'm pretty sure MHA could have fit everything relevant that the audience needs to know getting into this season in about 4-6 minutes.

It's my understanding that the seasonal recap openers are something insisted upon by the TV network MHA airs on. Food Wars and We Never Learn don't have to worry about that since they're late-night series, but MHA runs on a daytime block right next to Detective Conan, and for general audience/kids blocks like that there's often stringent (and sometimes archaic) requirements for programs they run.

For something similar, see the bank robbery filler episode from Season 3, which aired as part of a themed week of programs on that channel.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I am underwhelmed with this recent arc. I think there was not enough time spent with Overhaul, Eri, Nighteye, and Mirio to build up a strong enough connection to their outcomes. I still sympathize, but the events do not have much impact to me.

I personally think that Mirio should have been the hero to take down Overhaul. And after Eri's powers and background were revealed, I felt that it would have been a great irony for Eri to see Mirio using his quirk to save her, and then she becomes inspired to use her quirk to protect Mirio and the others from Overhaul.

Deku's role in this plot should have been more of an inspirational role than a leading role. It is silly that the character who does the most punching and kicking (touching) would be the lead role in defeating a villain who could literally reshape matter he touches.

Besides that, I am still interested in seeing how All Might copes with the legacy of Nighteye in Mirio and the legacy that All Might has placed in Deku.

Also, the women on the cast were swindled. Totally disrespectful to have them not only grouped together outside, but also basically serving as support roles. They deserved more than that.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Those are excellent points, Gasero. I also didn't feel all that emotionally invested in Eri or Overhaul, and thought Mirio was setup as the more thematically appropriate hero in this arc.

It also seems like there's a natural plot-consistent way Mirio could have finished the fight out, too: after his loss of powers to the bullet and struggling to take on Overhaul et al, it could've been an Eri "re-wind" that restored his powers, with Mirio validating the blessing her powers is in the way Deku did with the actual path the arc took. That would have been really quite a nice emotional payoff, with Eri not just finding that she can be valued as something other than a weapon, but also finding that she can be the very antidote to Overhaul's exploitation of her, to help recriprocally save Mirio, who'd been the first person to restore her faith in heroes/to give her some semblance of hope.

Some of the side effects of treating the arc this way, with Deku not being the star of it, would be very interesting, too. Deku's self-doubt about the best successor to All-Might would be amplified, and his relationship with Mirio an important fulcrum on which Deku's emotional readiness would turn. I suppose that could happen even with the story proceeding as it has, but it would feel a more authentic worry with Deku seeing Mirio take out the Big Bad and restore the faith of a little girl Deku felt he had failed.

A downside would be that Overhaul presumably couldn't go full monster-man, for this to work, as it's hard to see how Mirio could ever work up the raw power in-universe to defeat a gargantuan monstrosity. A good climax doesn't always need to be bigger and large than the last one, though; the Stain fight, for example, was pretty subdued in the grandeur of powers deployed.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

It also seems like there's a natural plot-consistent way Mirio could have finished the fight out, too: after his loss of powers to the bullet and struggling to take on Overhaul et al, it could've been an Eri "re-wind" that restored his powers, with Mirio validating the blessing her powers is in the way Deku did with the actual path the arc took.

I'm not so sure I agree. Seeing Mirio lose his powers in episode 74 was an emotionally devastating moment. If he just got his quirk back one or two episodes later, it would take away the impact and thematic resonance of Mirio's heroic sacrifice, and I'd much rather a sacrifice remain a sacrifice. Not to mention that I like the implication that Mirio will become a great hero even without his powers.

Or maybe he will get his powers back once Eri learns to control her quirk, which I'm fine with as long as it happens way later down the road.

Gasero wrote:
And after Eri's powers and background were revealed, I felt that it would have been a great irony for Eri to see Mirio using his quirk to save her, and then she becomes inspired to use her quirk to protect Mirio and the others from Overhaul.

I mean, that's pretty much what happened, isn't it? What ultimately pushed Eri to break away from Chisaki's control and triggered her quirk was Mirio's sacrifice, symbolized by Eri grabbing Lemillion's cape.

Apart from that, I agree that Deku's role during this whole confrontation left something to be desired, since he didn't really learn or have to give up anything. I suppose the fight works as a pure display of heroism, but we've already seen Deku being a badass hero plenty of times in the past. I was expecting something else this time.

I also wasn't a fan of the Hassaikai. I liked Chisaki, but his goons were pretty forgettable. They pale in comparison to the much more fun and colourful League of Villains Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
How Can do you get Deku as a nickname out of Izuku Midoriya?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
#904185 wrote:
How Can do you get Deku as a nickname out of Izuku Midoriya?

This is me paraphrasing, since I'm not fluent in Japanese by any means

So Midoriya's given name, Izuku, is written as 出久. 出, the first character, can be read in some context as the sound "De" meaning his given name can also be read as "Deku." Bakugo, who bullied him when they were kids, would call him this since "Deku" can be used as an insult that basically means a useless person or puppet.

In the Season 1 mock battle against Bakugo and Iida, Uraraka mentioned that the nickname also sounds sort of like "Dekiru", meaning "Can do" and Izuku started taking on that meaning as he started at UA, eventually choosing it as his Hero Name.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:38 am Reply with quote
Ok, I don't know why #904185 is targeting my posts, but except for slipping in the misplaced "Can," they've copied my post from 2018. I got three replies back then, including a very informative one from vonPeterhof.

Normally, I'd think that was just a coincidence, except that they've copy/pasted another of my 2-yr-old posts in the Boruto thread. Super weird. But at least the info here is good for anyone coming in late.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 65 of 81