• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I still call bullsh*t. Even in the manga it doesn't make sense how somehow that powerful went out that easily; it was too lackluster. I'm still hoping for a "I bet you thought you seen the last of me" esque moment sometime in the future
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:05 am Reply with quote
talk about one step forward, two steps back!!!

leo should have gotten salamander, not little fuego!

its a major blow on his character development if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I was shocked.Randomly, the animation rose to a 100. I even held my breath for a while when watching it. I guess it's because it's EP 100 and they wanted to make it special but I hope it stays at this quality
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Sam wrote:
Occasionally, Black Clover is very good.

Yep, this a big part of why I'm still watching it. I was expecting something big out of episode 100, but this exceeded my expectations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SAG4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:26 am Reply with quote
If BC had a consistent art like Boruto, it would be much better enjoyed. But we can only have episodes like this while the others suffer. I don't know if they will be able to keep the anime consistent in this arc until the end, but it would be great. The episode was sensational, I didn't expect to be so impactful in the action scenes.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
So what is the future of the anime after this arc. A hiatus, filler, one of those have to happen at the rate it is going.

How much money is it making could determinate that. The Boruto anime has been filler for a long time and it survived, so who knows.
ECW28

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
>Dragon Piece Academia Z

No thanks, ill wait for the eventual sequel, Dragon Piece Academia Clover Z: Shippuden The Movie: Bleached
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I’m glad to see someone else mention how flat the elves are. Pretty much all of them have the same personality. Vengeful & looking down on humans with little to no variation.

Also indeed the Silva’s “redemption” does come across as undercooked. They have barely appeared for the most part so seeing the previously extremely cold Nozel suddenly now giving praise & mentally apologizing to Noelle feels rather unearned.
SAG4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
I’m glad to see someone else mention how flat the elves are. Pretty much all of them have the same personality. Vengeful & looking down on humans with little to no variation.

Also indeed the Silva’s “redemption” does come across as undercooked. They have barely appeared for the most part so seeing the previously extremely cold Nozel suddenly now giving praise & mentally apologizing to Noelle feels rather unearned.
Perhaps the anime gives this impression, but I do not agree that this construction is made without progression. Everywhere Nozel appears, he matures his view of Asta and/or Noelle.
At the end of the fight against ''Licht'' in the cave, Nozel mentions Asta's name. In the squad ranking, he is surprised by the position of Black Bull. On his way to the royal capital, he had already recognized Noelle's strength in becoming a royal knight. And in the future, we'll have even more progression for Nozel. To make clear his progression as a character.

The elves that have been faced so far are not the strongest, so they have the same feeling of anger, they are the first enemies and low class. But the following elves have much more personality.
I agree it may sound a bit repetitive, especially since the anime has stretched content and advanced the scenes of Yami and Fuegoleon that in the manga only happen after Asta and Rades get together and go to the real capital, not having time for the narrative to breathe. With that we had elves with the same personality after another in sequence (96/97/98/99~).
Also, the manga doesn't waste much time on these characters, the anime needs to fill the episode time. A chapter for 10 minutes.
Ps: But the elves have their differences. Luck/Rufel is the happy one, the vice captain of the crimson lions is confident/arrogant etc.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

I wonder if that isn't a side-effect of the resurrection spell? There is a hint that the elf attacking the village was being overtaken by that anger, so maybe Patri's hatred has bled over into the other elves.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:38 am Reply with quote
OMG, Theron! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! You picked up Black Clover!!! I simply cannot thank you enough!!

I have so much I want to say, but don't know where to start. I've watched the last handful of episodes multiple times (most of those rewatches were quite admittedly while drunk Anime hyper ), and they were all worth it in their own way.

I know these reviews are weeks behind, but I put spoilers in place, just because I don't wanna be that gal (a friend of mine is watching Black Clover, and as of today he's two weeks behind due to work and it's KILLING ME not to be able to talk about it with him on a weekly basis!). So I will be respectful to others who might not be caught up as well.

114: The Final Invaders - Noelle vs Fana was fun. But Charmy going full...well spoiler[Red Riding Hood] was freaking awesome. She's never been my favorite character, but in this episode you learn not to piss her off. I love how in her 'normal' form, she feeds others to give their magic back, and in her 'adult' form, shespoiler[ lets her wolf eat magic to make herself stronger]. Literally a spoiler[Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde] type magic right there. I love it! And at the very end of the episode, I was reminded of one thing...spoiler[Ronne's mouth opening into that black void was just like Windam Earl in Twin Peaks (for those that watched that awesome show)...that seriously creeped me out hardcore.]

115: Mastermind - Akuma/Devil's grand appearance. His appearance is absolutely what I would expect of a demon from spoiler[another dimension] should be. His spoiler[Word Soul magic] is insane. THIS is the adversary I'd been waiting for in Black Clover. A true evil. And I agree with you Theron, Showtaro Morikubo seriously outdid himself here...he's scary, intimidating, dominating...everything an evil being should be. I don't watch dubs, but whoever covers Akuma has some really big shoes to fill! (And not gonna lie, I will always remember him as Reiji from UtanoPrinceSama, but damn, I don't think I can hear Reiji singing "Never" the same way again!) And then there's Patry...poor Patry. He was used, abused, and thrown away...only to become spoiler[a Dark Elf]! The fight is typical shounen fare, but it's done so prettily I can't (and won't!) complain. spoiler[Hurricane Asta/Yuno was fun!] Great episode all around. Gonna miss "Right Now" by Empire as the OP though (I loved that sexy pic of Rhya, hehe).

116: The Ultimate Natural Enemy - New OP! "Black Catcher" by Vickeblanka is fun and catchy, though not as good as the previous one in my opinion, and of course it spoils some stuff as most OPs are wont to do. I liked seeing more of Nozel's versatile Mercury magic. The ensuing fight betweenspoiler[ Akuma and Yami/Elf Charlotte], was fun, but nothing special. I do have to say something about Rhya though: spoiler[In the previous episode he mentioned that 'he knew the human prince didn't betray the elves and that that was his sin, his disloyalty'...in this episode he mentions that 'if he hadn't stayed quiet to Patry, maybe things wouldn't have turned out like this'. Rhya could have helped prevented all of this, although what he could have done to stop the powerful Akuma would have probably been very little. Still very sad...at least we know why he's Rhya the Disloyal.]

I can't wait to hear your take on episode 117, Theron! And again, THANK YOU for picking up the Black Clover reviews!!!
SAG4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote
I believe that is the case, the elves are not so interesting to follow, as many of the fights are purely ''complement'' until their real purpose be achieve, and if we had no demon, perhaps Patry would not be a good final villain. Questionable, since his hatred for humans could be raised to the extreme for a good climax. As a weekly manga reader, these fights were exciting to follow (Gauche elf, Dorothy elf), so they played their part. In the anime because of animation/art and pacing things can be different.
Do you read the manga? Because many who just watch the anime hardly get such little information as "spawning a demon".
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
SAG4 wrote:
I believe that is the case, the elves are not so interesting to follow, as many of the fights are purely ''complement'' until their real purpose be achieve, and if we had no demon, perhaps Patry would not be a good final villain. Questionable, since his hatred for humans could be raised to the extreme for a good climax. As a weekly manga reader, these fights were exciting to follow (Gauche elf, Dorothy elf), so they played their part. In the anime because of animation/art and pacing things can be different.
Do you read the manga? Because many who just watch the anime hardly get such little information as "spawning a demon".

that hint could mean many things! hell, it could mean they can actually procreate in a way. i shudder what that could turn out! also nero's reveal way WAY TOO PREDICTABLE!

especially if there are fans who watched and read bleach. get ready for another youroichi shion scenario!!!!

Quote:
Kudos to Showtaro Morikubo (the Japanese voice of Orphen) on the delightfully devilish vocal performance; whoever gets called on to voice that character in English has their work cut out for them

no. not really. they could just use the same VA who is asta's devil instead!! that would be suitable.

that or probably have bullet's VA as well! definitely fits the mad villain type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they caught up to the manga super fast, huh? I wonder if we'll end up with like a year of filler at this point.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Wow, they caught up to the manga super fast, huh? I wonder if we'll end up with like a year of filler at this point.

Next week's episode will begin a two-part filler flashback arc. After that, my guess is that the remaining March episodes will cover the rest of volume 23, thus reaching the most natural point where they could insert a long string of filler episodes.

Right now, the anime is only 20 chapters behind the manga, so a year of filler is pretty much a necessity at this point. They could also adapt the two light novels that have yet to be animated, but I'm not sure they could wring that many episodes out of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 25