• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Moves Up Time for Release of Shonen Jump Manga, Adds Undead Unluck Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news! There's really no need for anyone not to support the official release of One Piece and the rest of these great series'.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope they've gained more staff for this and aren't just working their employees harder
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
jtiskool305 wrote:
This is awesome news! There's really no need for anyone not to support the official release of One Piece and the rest of these great series'.

Some people still do cause they don't like the censorship/translation changes
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:

Viz hasn't censored its manga releases in literally years, if not even a solid decade by now, so that's a ridiculous complaint. In fact, it's literally impossible for any of the currently-serialized Jump series that get new chapters weekly to be censored, since they are now coming out the same exact time they do in Japan. There's already a lot of crazy work being done to get those new chapters out as soon as humanly possible (at this point, you'd need a time machine to do it any faster), so you think they'd go through the extra effort to identify anything that could even be censored, figure out how the censor it, and then actually do so?

As for translation changes, the only one that Viz still really maintains is "Zolo" for One Piece, and while I don't like it either (I think Viz could seriously just switch back to "Zoro", and no one would bat an eye), it's intensely childish to not support an entire subscription model (that you don't even have to pay for, if all you want is to read the newest chapters of Jump manga as they come out in Japan) because of a single, solitary name; that's just a flimsy excuse for those who weren't ever going to support, in the first place. Anything beyond that is just translation choices, not changes, and those usually come down to decisions made by Shueisha & the creators, not by Viz.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
jtiskool305 wrote:

Adding to what Lord Geo said, according to a One Piece podcast I happen to listen to, translations for the scanlation are complete dogsh*t right now. I'll repeat it again, there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be supporting the official release.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
As for translation changes, the only one that Viz still really maintains is "Zolo" for One Piece, and while I don't like it either (I think Viz could seriously just switch back to "Zoro", and no one would bat an eye), it's intensely childish to not support an entire subscription model (that you don't even have to pay for, if all you want is to read the newest chapters of Jump manga as they come out in Japan) because of a single, solitary name; that's just a flimsy excuse for those who weren't ever going to support, in the first place. Anything beyond that is just translation choices, not changes, and those usually come down to decisions made by Shueisha & the creators, not by Viz.

They also still omit the word okama from the translation. It's something that affects the English versions of the games too I've noticed. "Oh Come My Way" Karate instead of "Okama", for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1