• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Interspecies Reviewers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Of COURSE the madam who measures the penis size of the patrons is voiced by Yoko Hikasa.

She's number one in the character poll and is getting a figure with the BD volume 1 release. Sometimes Japan has excellent taste.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
BTW, maybe me but the Op sounds like an adaptation of "In the Navy".

Yes, yes, totally! I had the exact same thought Very Happy
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
This is certainly the most entertaining show of the season. Hats off to Passione for releasing the Anime of the Year right off the bat in January. Just in time for the Olympics, too.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:09 am Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
... sounds like an adaptation of "In the Navy".
Yes, yes, totally! I had the exact same thought Very Happy
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Not sure why, but it seems strangely appropriate for this show. Village People Forever!

I really like the show's sense of humor too, ex: Demon 2 being a very "proper" guy who gets completely wound up about demons being unpopular but then recommends a place named "The Demon Hole" apparently missing how bad that sounds.
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:18 am Reply with quote
Oh come on, you can't take credit for your "Cowgirl" pun. That's been around a long time. Monster Musume had one (actually a few, but only one got much screen time), and I'm sure it wasn't the first.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
pwnagemaster wrote:
Oh come on, you can't take credit for your "Cowgirl" pun. That's been around a long time. Monster Musume had one (actually a few, but only one got much screen time), and I'm sure it wasn't the first.

It's not really a new concept. The association with cows and milk and large breasts is as old as dirt in the anime and manga community. Oikawa Shizuku from Idolmaster was literally designed to exemplify the trope Laughing But the oldest actual monster cow girl character I know is from some doujin I saw back in the early 2000s.

Next week's episode is the obligatory TFS episode. The preview already makes me think fem!Stunk is kinda cute. Uh oh.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:23 am Reply with quote
I have no idea if i should watch this or not

On the one hand, it sounds funny as hell and i admit i find the concept amusing. On the other hand, i normally have a distaste for fanservice.

Then again, the one clip i saw involving the angel boy being "endowed" as hell is amusing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
I have no idea if i should watch this or not

On the one hand, it sounds funny as hell and i admit i find the concept amusing. On the other hand, i normally have a distaste for fanservice.

Then again, the one clip i saw involving the angel boy being "endowed" as hell is amusing.

I think a common problem with fanservice is that within the story it is a misdirection, just framing a (mostly) female character in a sexual way in a cheap way. I think most of the fanservice in this show is when we are going over the body of the working lady as the guy is talking about the sexual experience he had with her.

If curious, I would say just give the first episode a go.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Ep3- Well, this show got hot fast! Too bad no visuals...But I give them credit for going there. I give it a 9!! Wonder if they will get back to some of those other scenarios? Hope so... Wink Wink

BTW I was kidding about taking credit for the CowGirl (I said "not really") Theron just beat me to it on ANN...Also, the new English dub I like as well with the right amount of campiness especially from the narrator. Brittney Karbowski was a good choice for Crim with her voice tenor.

@Izanagi009 If you can enjoy sex comedies and not get turned off by censored nudes you might like this. I think it's really funny and not in a crass way as it relies on situation comedy and more on contrasting the reactions of the "reviewers" as well as the interaction of the bar patrons who read them. Warning: the latest episode might be too much for some but Ep1,2 are milder.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:20 am Reply with quote
Before the episode 3 review is out, I wonder if anyone shares a bit of my thoughts that it was a tad more homophobic than needed. Granted I am fine that their preferences did not change after their body did, if anything I think it was a positive, I just think it could have been a bit more open to not being so judgy if Crim chose such a thing. Acting like there was a problem with spoiler[a woman with a penis] in the first place. I would have liked if it was a tad more open.

Also kind of wish they were a bit more flattering with Incubus boys.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:38 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Before the episode 3 review is out, I wonder if anyone shares a bit of my thoughts that it was a tad more homophobic than needed. Granted I am fine that their preferences did not change after their body did, if anything I think it was a positive, I just think it could have been a bit more open to not being so judgy if Crim chose such a thing. Acting like there was a problem with spoiler[a woman with a penis] in the first place. I would have liked if it was a tad more open.

I kinda felt that way too. But then I am reminded that this show is garbage, knows it is garbage, and it revels in it (Mostly in a fun way). So, I can’t say I’m surprised. Sometimes you have to let a dog be a dog? I dunno why I’m even watching this show, I usually detest ecchifests, but here I am.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
At this rate, the final episode will be nothing but a black screen and censoring beeps book-ended by the OP and ED.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This show is reaching levels of degeneracy that usually aren't seen outside of hentai. That is impressive even for a fanservice show and it does make it one of the more interesting shows of the season. It was interesting that Crim is shocked at the sexual trivia that the other guys consider to be common knowledge but right after that starts innocently looking through the incubus book. This is a show that likes to point out that perspective plays a huge part in what people consider to be common knowledge. Also Stunk went with Lorna the elf who is 659 years old and there is the recurring issue that the others are slightly worried about him because he doesn't care how ancient an elf is as long as they are hot.
Halko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Having and showing a bit of displeasure or even disgust at other peoples preferences isnt homophobia. Its only when you act on those in a negative way when it becomes an issue. Its basically like cringing or gagging when you see someone from the Philippines eat balot. Your not racist for having a reaction to it but you are if you point it out and chide them for it. The characters looked at the situation and were put off by it but nowhere did they truly act out in any way thats truly phobic. "Oh wow really ewww" isnt a statement of phobia but rather preference.

I dont take pleasure or like seeing two guys kiss and recoil a bit when i see it but im not going to make a scene over it and it doesnt change how i feel about them in general. That doesnt make me homophobic. Not everyone has to be perfectly ok with seeing or experiencing things they dont like but instead just have to accept and tolerate it.

Also the situation with the incubus boys is adressed inside the show itself by the other characters with the pretty boy scenes. There is an entire market around both pretty boys and the so called "bara" type men.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Having and showing a bit of displeasure or even disgust at other peoples preferences isnt homophobia. Its only when you act on those in a negative way when it becomes an issue. Its basically like cringing or gagging when you see someone from the Philippines eat balot. Your not racist for having a reaction to it but you are if you point it out and chide them for it. The characters looked at the situation and were put off by it but nowhere did they truly act out in any way thats truly phobic. "Oh wow really ewww" isnt a statement of phobia but rather preference.

I dont take pleasure or like seeing two guys kiss and recoil a bit when i see it but im not going to make a scene over it and it doesnt change how i feel about them in general. That doesnt make me homophobic. Not everyone has to be perfectly ok with seeing or experiencing things they dont like but instead just have to accept and tolerate it.

Also the situation with the incubus boys is adressed inside the show itself by the other characters with the pretty boy scenes. There is an entire market around both pretty boys and the so called "bara" type men.

I wasn't talking about the characters, I was talking about the show, that it made the decision to have 3 of the straight gender bent guys, possibly shame the 4th who possibly could be curious. But there is not necessarily evidence of it anyway since he still got a women, but everyone still judged them as "rainbow" because of what equipment she had.

Along with one of the reasons they could not leave while gender bent, something about a guy getting a female body, and tricking a man into sleeping with them before finding out the next day. What was the implication there? Was it a gay man tricking a straight man into sleeping with them? Because that is not really cool. If anything it starts to approach things like the Sherlock show.

It is okay if not everyone is comfortable, in general I think this show tackles that quite a bit, and a lot of anime do far worse. As a non binary person who maybe could be curious, I just found it a bit disappointing in how it was presented.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13