• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Trying to find the lost Japanese volume 5 of Johji Manabe's Drakkun series. Dark Horse never adapted volume 5 of the manga. So the conclusion of the series can only be found in volume 5 of the Japanese manga.

Drakuun: Dragon Princess Army (5 volumes, 1995–2003, Kadokawa Shoten) - Wikipedia

Here in Hiroshima right now. Having no luck. Most used book stores don't have that much manga, and especially not from the turn of the century. Probably have to go to Akihabara to have a chance.

There's a huge Book-Off in Shinjuku too. Try there.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
DMP has added the physical editions of Kimagure Orange Road to their website
here. They're also on Amazon, but shipping it cheaper through their website.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:17 am Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
I have no idea what will become rare in the future. I've gotten a bit better at predicting I suppose, but for the time being, I've got all of Banana Fish, Maison Ikkoku, Monster, had all of Saikano (before I traded it due to not liking the series very much), Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga, Please Save My Earth, Here is Greenwood. I'm also missing only volume 6 of Firefighter Daigo now, so close to completion! That's just from Viz, from DMP, I've got both Antique Bakery and Flower of Life volume 4 (which was printed two years after volume 3 and had a far lower print run than the rest of the series). Tokyopop lost lots of series rights a ways back so from that I've got Kodocha, Marmalade Boy, and Planetes. Firefighter Daigo is the only time I've ever paid more than MSRP for those missing volumes, just the one so far, but 6 might end up like that too. I do have incredible luck on most of the other things so running out of a little bit on that series towards the goal doesn't phase me.

Things I have that I suspect will go waaay OOP in the future: Dr. Slump and Hikaru no Go (up to date, only missing the last unpublished volume and can't wait to get it!). Dr. Slump already has a volume (#9) way OOP and as for Hikaru no Go? I just can't imagine it's a top seller even though it should be.

Now, in the case of some of those series, I had been collecting them all along or at least way before the series ended. But for most of them I didn't start collecting them until after the series had completed and a few of the volumes were way OOP. It's such a hassle if you haven't been collecting them from around the start, but it's not like there's unlimited money for me to try everything out either, not to mention that Borders used to be the only place I could buy manga from and they didn't carry Banana Fish or Firefighter Daigo among other things, how was I supposed to know about those series if I couldn't see them at Borders? Now that I'm proficient with the internet, it's not a problem, but pretty much through high school I was stuck to brick and mortar stores. I think I missed out on a lot of series just because of that alone.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:57 am Reply with quote
Might I suggest BookFinder? You just plug in the ISBN, and it spits out results. For example, Firefigher Daigo 6 came back with one on Amazon for about $6 (the next cheapest is $18, on the negative side, the $6 one is ex-library, but sometimes, I'll go for ex library on the rarer titles because it's that or nothing). Actually, a quarter of MY Firefigher Daigos are ex-library, but no one rented the poor things cus they were the best looking, almost like new ex-library books I'd ever seen. Glad to see other people enjoying this series now!

As for predicting future OOPs? It's gotten a bit difficult, I never expected Blade of the Immortal omnibus 7 to go OOP. I do generally expect Fantagraphics and DMP things to go OOP eventually though, so I make a point to snap those up asap if I want them (DMP is probably not long for this world anyway at this point). I have noticed a strange trend where vol 13 of a series tends to go OOP faster than most others (superstition or some nonsense?) but it's affected both Btooom and Umineko recently (both series still being published, but almost done) and in the past, I believe it's affected other series (Dr. Slump and Kekkaishi come to mind), so now if I like a series and it will go past vol 13, and it isn't a mega hit shonen jump title, I'm making a point to make sure I get v13. Also, something with already niche appeal to Western fans irl is more likely to go OOP (Hikaru no Go). I also try to hit the library every other month or so, make sure I'm not overlooking any hidden gems (or garbage that should be left alone after all!)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
#904185 wrote:
Quote:
I have no idea what will become rare in the future.

Neither does anyone else, really. Wink

My wife collects fashion dolls. A few years back we were at a (Barbie) Doll convention. While we were talking to one of her favorite dealers, a man came up and asked "Which of these will go up in value most rapidly?" The dealer's response was "If I knew that, they wouldn't be for sale." This from a man who had been buying and selling the dolls for years (and is still in business). The same applies to manga. Even the people who buy and sell it for a living can't predict what individual volumes or whole series will become collectors items. If they could they would have obtained more stock when it was available or refused to stock much if it wouldn't sell.

The best advice is always collect what you like. In the end, if the value goes down (and much of manga will) you still have something you like, or liked at one time.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:47 am Reply with quote
I guess I would also add that if you suspect something might be starting to go OOP and you want it, to snap it up asap. I just did that recently with Umineko vol 13. I'd be lying if I said the Umineko manga were cheap to begin with, but that vol 13 shot up to $80 now, and I managed to snag a copy for around $15 last month. After securing 13, I got the other volumes I was missing (now the only one I'm missing the final one, which isn't even out yet).

Also, watch places like Amazon like a hawk, a lot of big sellers on the used market will use algorithms to price things, which frequently depend on what other sellers currently list it for. Those can go haywire and cause prices to fluctuate wildly, sometimes upwards, but sometimes downwards as well.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that Seven Seas is really bad at keeping old volumes of currently releasing series in print.

ETA: For instance, volumes 10 and 12 of A Certain Scientific Railgun. Fortunately I got them for retail price at Fully Booked's website here in the Philippines.

EDIT again: FB's website still has one copy each of volumes 3, 8, 10, and 12 (for about MSRP), which are all pretty pricey on Amazon Marketplace.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
I've noticed that Seven Seas is really bad at keeping old volumes of currently releasing series in print.

ETA: For instance, volumes 10 and 12 of A Certain Scientific Railgun. Fortunately I got them for retail price at Fully Booked's website here in the Philippines.

EDIT again: FB's website still has one copy each of volumes 3, 8, 10, and 12 (for about MSRP), which are all pretty pricey on Amazon Marketplace.

And Yen Press also, try finding BTOOOM! Vol 14 in English. I've been looking for one for months. I eventually digitally downloaded the volume. It can get frustrating in the least!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
Not manga, but is Udon's edition of The Eyes of Bayonetta 2 artbook OOP? Right Stuf just lists it as out of stock while the only copies sold by Amazon itself ship from the UK.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
@fuuma_monou

As with every thing else, the pandemic has caused major disruptions to the publishing industry. In addition to the transport problems that everyone is having, they are having labor shortages in printing and binding facilities. A lot of titles that would normally be receiving additional printings are delayed. Publishers are giving priority to each month's new titles. If something isn't listed as out of print yet, it may just be delayed. This should correct itself at some point, but who knows when. At this point I would recommend patience over panic. You can always panic later. Wink
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@fuuma_monou

As with every thing else, the pandemic has caused major disruptions to the publishing industry. In addition to the transport problems that everyone is having, they are having labor shortages in printing and binding facilities. A lot of titles that would normally be receiving additional printings are delayed. Publishers are giving priority to each month's new titles. If something isn't listed as out of print yet, it may just be delayed. This should correct itself at some point, but who knows when. At this point I would recommend patience over panic. You can always panic later. Wink

Hehe. I already got my copy when I asked the question!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 76 of 76