• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
This is easily my favorite show of this season and it also ranks #1 over my carry-over favorites from last season (GeGeGe no Kitaro and Iruma-kun). As a creative, I just love watching the passion of all three girls.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Something came up in the middle of the day today - 2 and 3 are set to post tomorrow. Thanks for your patience. Boy do I love this show.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah finding the multiplane camera was a bit of a stretch, they can't have been that many of them even in the prime day, never mind now (or 30 years in the future). Plus it's not necessary for them to produce their movie (and not very representative of what high school club would work with, which I think lose some of the charm).
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Kanamori responds to a pressing deadline by limiting the scope to possible limits (cutting the film from five minutes to three minutes, picking subjects that are production friendly), listens to the animators and alters plans to play to their strengths and motivations, and also acknowledges the limits of her own expertise. She gives direction based on practical/marketing considerations, but doesn't try to take creative control outside of that. She's also willing to break through a wall for her friends. She's also very good at looking at all of what can possibly derail a project and planning ahead.

Which makes her better than at least a good 90% of managers, lol.
tojikomori

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I loved the multiplane camera scene! The sheer unbridled nerdery of it, yes, but it's also such a wonderfully meta moment – the show's creative team getting carried away and turning a relatively humdrum scenario (here's the scene where the newly formed club goes looking for old equipment to borrow) into something brilliant and unexpected. What if they don't just find any old equipment, what if they find a multiplane camera mount!

Kanamori's been a cleverly written Watson for these last two episodes, too. Zac and Doodleboy both touched on this, but she doesn't just ask questions to force Midori and Tsubame to give the audience exposition, she engages in conversation and turns it into something that reflects her character and often drives the team and the story forward.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:22 am Reply with quote
You know, that video getting out should really be the least of the schools worries when they're letting students repair rusted out roofs that aren't fit for standing on without harnesses using their own money...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
meiam wrote:
It's interesting that the show has such a focus on mechanical design when anime in general has pretty much abandoned those. There's no mech show this season (and if there was one it'd almost certainly be terrible anyway) and the sci fi shows don't really feature many machine.

Mm, pretty much my thoughts when they were talking about designing the dragonfly ship in the first episode.

"I mean, it's probably just going to end up being CG anyway..."

Trying to think of the last mecha anime we had that didn't use CG robots. Franxx?
Granbelm was the only none Sunrise show I've seen in awhile.

And granbelm mech weren't very mechanical (both in design and in story), similar for franxx. Maybe abandoned is too strong a word, but it's very clear that anime in general is going away from mechanical design. Heck at this point there might be more show about girls being some form of mechanical contraption (boat/plane/tank/gun) than show prominently featuring machine in any given year.

I mean, yeah, things that are stylized, organic, and made of few parts are more likely to be hand drawn than things that are hard/metal (or metal sided), realistic, and made up of a ton of moving parts (also, that needs to be true to a plastic toy). We've known that since Disney decided the best way to experiment with CG animation was clockwork in The Black Cauldron.

Honestly, Eizouken is probably the best example of why mecha is so dead: anime not being about anything but anime any more. The genre/field is so dominated by commentary on the genre/field because of its reliance on otaku money that it can't be about anything else, particularly anything but nerdy media, any more. Isekai is probably the most blatant offender, as it started as a commentary on JRPG conventions and now I can't think of the last time one came out that wasn't a twist/comment on the isekai genre.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
Honestly, Eizouken is probably the best example of why mecha is so dead: anime not being about anything but anime any more.

I think that if you took a look at the anime franchises that are currently either the most popular or the most financially successful right now (both in Japan and abroad) - such as My Hero Academia, Precure, Gundam, Demon Slayer, The Rising of the Shield Hero, Attack on Titan, etc. - you'd come away with a very different conclusion about whether

Scalfin wrote:
The genre/field is so dominated by commentary on the genre/field because of its reliance on otaku money that it can't be about anything else

Yeah, there are a ton of shows geared towards otaku, but from a purely financial standpoint, it still feels like the biggest money comes from "crossover audience hits".

Also, with regards to

Scalfin wrote:
Isekai is probably the most blatant offender, as it started as a commentary on JRPG conventions and now I can't think of the last time one came out that wasn't a twist/comment on the isekai genre.

Demon Lord Retry, Wise Man's Grandchild, and High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World all came out in the past year, and I'm really struggling to remember the ways in which any of them significantly twisted or reflected upon the isekai genre. I dropped each of them after their first episodes, though, so maybe they got more innovative or insightful after that? Shocked
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 – Hold That Machete Tight!

Being in that student council meeting must be what it was like at Daicon III when Daicon Film / Gainax did their opening animation premiere. Pure magic.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
bennyl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I started watching this wanting dislike it. I usually can't stand stylized character design. I've also never been a fan of art for arts sake. But the story is too good and upbeat. I just imagine the protagonists second project was to draw their adventures making their first, and now we are watching it.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:56 pm Reply with quote
The automatic tweening software they got used reminds of of Science Saru's own animation techniques. A lot of their style is heavily influenced by the shortcuts that Flash and other modern animation programs have to offer. They've manged to make a pretty expressive style out of those compromises though.

https://twitter.com/sciencesaru/status/962113887775621121

Oddly enough they've seen to eschewed at least some of those techniques for Eizouken.

Also, every time an imagination sequence appears on Eizouken I'm reminded of this talk from Miyzaki in "Kingdoms of Dreams and Madness".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaKpwKYDXw
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Still great fun, but I though the student council was needlessly antagonistic, they damaged the club room, but they also fixed it (even the damage they didn't cause) and they can't be held responsible for other people coming into school.

Also... what exactly are they going to do with a budget anyway? Ultimately their only issues is time and man power, not something they can really fix with money, unless they plan on hiring professional...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:37 am Reply with quote
I kind of liked how the student council themselves were shown.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:46 am Reply with quote
This episode made me so nostalgic for college.... the frequent all nighters drawing in-betweens or rendering scenes, and trying to get everyone on the same page for projects....
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:35 pm Reply with quote
When I was a kid, there was this great PBS show, Cover to Cover, where the narrator would draw one or two scenes from a book as it was being read. You would forget that it was just a pastel-pencil drawing—a drawing that was being fleshed out as you watched.

That’s the power of imagery. It pulls you inside the story and makes the real world fall away. This episode captured that so perfectly. Plus, I’m learning so much about the anime industry!

I fall more deeply in love with this show with each episode. And I’m loving Zac’s impassioned reviews. If I were savvy enough to know how, I’d post a clip of Despicable Me’s “it’s so fluffy” meme. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9