• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Kaito Ishikawa Dropped From Miki no Mikoto Character Project, Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geepee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
So,they are dropping him because he doesn't endorse drinking?...Just that?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I would expect the anthropomorphized version of sake to be somewhat inappropriate so I was expecting a risque joke but it sounds like he got fired because he doesn't drink alcohol. What is ironic is that even sake companies don't want to come out and say that so they simply refer to it as inappropriate remarks.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh, heavens forbid that in a society where drinking is seen as an important part of socialization, someone comes out as a teetotaller! /s
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
WTF... Corporate interests have gone too far.
In revenge, I'll keep to my teetotaling ways.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Oh, heavens forbid that in a society where drinking is seen as an important part of socialization, someone comes out as a teetotaller! /s

I came in here thinking it was something really bad, but it was just him saying he doesn't drink? Really? Weird freaking priorities
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
It said the video was 6 minutes instead of 10, implying stuff being cut, so it could've been stuff cut that was the bad remarks, not just him saying he doesn't drink.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Translating 'nihonshu' as "Japanese alcohol' instead of 'sake' might be confusing people here. He said he doesn't drink sake because it has carbs in it (which it does!) and is a poor choice for his diet. There are plenty of other drinks you can have without breaking that diet, but sake would throw you out of ketosis pretty quick. (Seems like the carb counts vary a bit by brand, but nobody just drinks a few ounces of sake.)

That comment seems to be in the edited version, so it's possible he made some more dramatic claims that were cut (keto communities do seem to have a lot of pseudo science/conspiracy theory types.) But even if everything he said was true, still not going to make the advertisers happy.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

I came in here thinking it was something really bad, but it was just him saying he doesn't drink? Really? Weird freaking priorities

He likely did say something really negative/insulting about one of the companies, about the industry as a whole, or about consumers of the product. There’s roughly 3 minutes of audio missing from the episode that everyone believes is the one he got fired for. Based on the episode title, it is not difficult to imagine what might have been said. I wonder how much trouble this is going to cause him in finding future work, though. He’s pretty popular, but I imagine this incident is not going to sit well when he is considered by future production committees. And to be honest, he’d already been hired for multiple projects in this franchise, including this one, when he made the comment, so I wouldn’t blame them. This comes off as incredibly foolish. Hey man, your one of the main boys in the sake promo, but you gonna go talk shit and throw shade on the side? Really?
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, if you're voicing a character in a glorified alcohol commercial and you don't drink, it's bad PR. Understand many breweries collaborating in this series are looking to this sort of creative advertising because they are struggling with profitability from a greying and declining population, and especially cities where they are location. Also, with the younger audience this is targeted for, changing consumer tastes, whether other alcohol, or of course teetotalism.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:01 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
He likely did say something really negative/insulting about one of the companies, about the industry as a whole, or about consumers of the product. There’s roughly 3 minutes of audio missing from the episode that everyone believes is the one he got fired for. Based on the episode title, it is not difficult to imagine what might have been said. I wonder how much trouble this is going to cause him in finding future work, though. He’s pretty popular, but I imagine this incident is not going to sit well when he is considered by future production committees. And to be honest, he’d already been hired for multiple projects in this franchise, including this one, when he made the comment, so I wouldn’t blame them. This comes off as incredibly foolish. Hey man, your one of the main boys in the sake promo, but you gonna go talk shit and throw shade on the side? Really?

Even if he didn't say anything too bad in those deleted segments, just saying he doesn't drink sake and finds it too fattening or filled with carbs is a pretty bad thing to say when you're next project is literally about sake. Especially if you go on to give alternatives drinks to drink rather than the product you're suppose to be pushing for. Very bad advertising strategy. It would be akin to a McDonalds spokesman telling people to go eat at Wendy's instead because their stuff isn't as bad for you. Of course the higher ups will have issues with that.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
It would be akin to a McDonalds spokesman telling people to go eat at Wendy's instead because their stuff isn't as bad for you. Of course the higher ups will have issues with that.

Or the real-life example of celebrities being hired by Pepsi and fired because they were seen drinking Coke (or vice versa) (i.e. Ronaldinho, Britney Spears)
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
SoraNews24 posted about this too. They take it further however. According to people who heard it, the VA also said women shouldn’t drink sake because it’ll make them fat.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
DirtyCircle wrote:
SoraNews24 posted about this too. They take it further however. According to people who heard it, the VA also said women shouldn’t drink sake because it’ll make them fat.

If true...oof, Ishikawa. I hope he didn't though.
Acrylic6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate since Kaito Ishikawa is talented seiyuu. Hopefully this can be lessons learned for all seiyuu out there to be careful with their mouths.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1