• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Babylon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:26 am Reply with quote
Possible scenarios for the final two episodes:

1) Zen catches Magase and tries to kill her, but in the end he decides to take the high road and let her be jailed instead. --> Good Ending.

2) Zen's family gets killed and he commits suicide and joins them in death, falling victim to Magase's philosophy --> Bad Ending.

3) Magase and Itsuki are aliens, their plan of conquering the Earth by having humanity commit suicide fails because of the US President, so they abduct Zen to their spaceship and go off to search for other planets --> The Perfect Ending, judging by the logic of the series so far. Laughing
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I considered the possibility that Magase is actually the Devil. It would explain her ability to talk people into killing themselves.
I have a bad feeling that the writer has fallen into a self indulgent fantasy, possibly one with the US President killing himself, and has no desire to explain anything.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it is exceedingly difficult to articulate just how legalizing suicide would suddenly engender a literal epidemic of suicides across the world.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that's not what's happening, so they don't feel the need to detail why it would happen. By which I mean, I don't think these people are suiciding en masse just because it's now government approved. Unfortunately, I also have a feeling that explaining why they actually are is going to require a lot of talking heads exposition.

I wish Woods would keep his finger off his nose. It looks like he's constantly picking it, and it's a tic that doesn't illuminate his character in any way that justifies the unnecessary distraction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:

1) Zen catches Magase and tries to kill her, but in the end he decides to take the high road and let her be jailed instead. --> Good Ending.

2) Zen's family gets killed and he commits suicide and joins them in death, falling victim to Magase's philosophy --> Bad Ending.

3) Magase and Itsuki are aliens, their plan of conquering the Earth by having humanity commit suicide fails because of the US President, so they abduct Zen to their spaceship and go off to search for other planets --> The Perfect Ending, judging by the logic of the series so far. Laughing

I'm going to laugh if the final episode ends with Magase becoming the President of the United States...
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Can we just cheat and say the anime ends at episode 7 and the bad guys won? please
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
As I sat through episode 11 in disbelief, the only thought that brought me some comfort was that at least James's review would be entertaining.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
What the hell happened with the show? I did not know the POTUS was going to lecture me about good/evil!!

I watched the show because it was an interesting mix of psychological-thriller with politics and supernatural elements.

After episode 7 I wanted to see Zen decent into madness obsessed in finding Ai. Maybe Ai was Zen's wife since the beginning. I wanted to see Zen investigating and uncovering the secrets (whore of babylon) and motivations of Ai and finding his own answer of what is good and evil.

I really did not want the president of usa or the other world leaders to tell me what is good/evil. I wanted Zen and Ai to tell me. It was supposed to be their damn show!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch this show (I just find the reviews funny)... can somebody explain me... It's suicide illegal on this series?

What would be the sentence, dead?

Don't you guys mean euthanasia?

I don't get it.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The exact legal status of suicide can have important repercussion for things like life insurance policy, inheritance, organ donation (which iirc is what's at stake in the show) and other legal process that have to do with the people death.

Although it's much much drier than the series is trying to show it (or at least as far as I can tell from the review). There certainly wouldn't be a forum convene to discuss it.

Anyway I'm mostly witting cause I find it hilarious that this show turned out exactly like Kado, how do people keep getting hired sticker after sticker?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the only time I will agree with an ANN review (it was so salty and very satisfying to read lol), but... Babylon is just so disastrous and I'm glad more people see through the pretentious pseudo-philosophy it's trying to sell. I already thought that after the first 3 episodes and never understood why people called it "clever", when there is little to no substance to anything that's said or happening. Even the ever so famous 7th episode only made me facepalm because imho it was nothing more than cheap shock factor. The animation was decent though, kudos for that. I have dropped it since, but I see more and more people complain how horrible the whole anime is, so I'm glad I didn't subject myself to this trainwreck any longer.
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:16 am Reply with quote
We all always knew that Babylon would just go and burn itself to the ground but I honestly expected it to be hilarious and entertaining and not me sitting in utter disbelief for twenty minutes while receiving a philosophy lecture about morality from people who apparently had never heard of Aristotle and copied their profound lines from random fortune cookies while presenting them as the absolute truth.

I think the worst part was when someone said: "People are only ethical because they fear God." The script was so incoherent that someone said that and nobody even answered them or commented they just passed on to the next stupid line. Not to mention all the leaders being aggressive jerks but the japanese leader being is the only one who understands how bad war is - all this in a conversation about suicide. We will wage war because you let your citizens commit suicide. Logic = aborted!!!
DarkEXE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:17 am Reply with quote
This episode is talking bullshit.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:

I've begun to wonder if Magase will kill herself.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I've begun to wonder if Magase will kill herself.

She would if she found out how terrible her show is.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
At this point I am only finishing it because there are so few episodes left. It showed promise at first but didn’t deliver at all.

Also somehow this series got tons of underserved nominations for the CR awards
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5