• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Interspecies Reviewers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Just to be clear, there is an uncensored version. I get the whole sticking to legal streaming thing, but ecchi shows to me have always been the exception if the streaming service chooses to only get the censored version. Otherwise, it kind of defeats the main purpose of watching the show.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I wasn't talking about the characters, I was talking about the show, that it made the decision to have 3 of the straight gender bent guys, possibly shame the 4th who possibly could be curious. But there is not necessarily evidence of it anyway since he still got a women, but everyone still judged them as "rainbow" because of what equipment she had.

Before we go too far into this issue, remember that the rest of the guys do NOT know that Crim has both sets of genitalia. Crim has very specifically kept that a secret from them. The other guys only know that Crim's male parts are bigger than any of theirs. The whole "rainbow" thing was from their belief that Crim was bi. (And, well, that definitely looks to be true.)

BlueBeast33 wrote:
Just to be clear, there is an uncensored version. I get the whole sticking to legal streaming thing, but ecchi shows to me have always been the exception if the streaming service chooses to only get the censored version. Otherwise, it kind of defeats the main purpose of watching the show.

Oh, I'm fully aware of this, but it's not legally streaming anywhere with English subtitles, so these reviews will always be based on (in this case) Funimation's stream.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this isn't quite the top of the series, though it's subjective if the series tops itself near the beginning of the volume 2 content or more in the middle. You could argue that the end of volume 2 is tame, but I think it's an appropriate endpoint for the anime. Then there's volume 3, but the anime isn't going that far in this season.

Next episode is probably more mundane, though it could be considered more extreme depending on how much they show. The anime tends to be more thorough with the visuals than the manga to make up for the fact that it has to summarize the manga's in depth reviews, and I think it works. For example, the manga doesn't really show the sex scenes; you had to imagine them from the written review description for the most part. The anime shortens the reviews since it has to turn them into dialogue, but it actually shows the action so you get a more of a sense of how the reviewer feels about the experience even if they don't say it outright.
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I wasn't talking about the characters, I was talking about the show, that it made the decision to have 3 of the straight gender bent guys, possibly shame the 4th who possibly could be curious. But there is not necessarily evidence of it anyway since he still got a women, but everyone still judged them as "rainbow" because of what equipment she had.

Before we go too far into this issue, remember that the rest of the guys do NOT know that Crim has both sets of genitalia. Crim has very specifically kept that a secret from them. The other guys only know that Crim's male parts are bigger than any of theirs. The whole "rainbow" thing was from their belief that Crim was bi. (And, well, that definitely looks to be true.)

BlueBeast33 wrote:

Oh, I'm fully aware of this, but it's not legally streaming anywhere with English subtitles, so these reviews will always be based on (in this case) Funimation's stream.

Futas arent bi..... They are quadro sexual. They can have lesbian sex gay sex straight sex as a guy or straight sex as a woman.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Thinking Crim of merely being Bi is overly simplifying the situation; Reading that in the review made me cringe. There's a world of difference between male or female and being bi when compared to being both male AND female.... and to be honest, I think Crim has been leaning female from his interests as a male and especially this time she was fully female.

Still the core concept gets remarkably deep so while the show leans heavily on "the mind decides the body"... No, I need to draw a distinction. The Male Reviewers decide that being female and having sex with a female is what they should be doing as hetero males. I think the show itself is showing Crim favoritism by allowing Crim to remain cryptic despite having sex with women who should known what Crim's equipped with by now. The reason why I think the show can distance itself from the male reviewers' point of view is how Zellie experienced tentacle/slime sex, hentai's long cherished penis stand in. "Filled every hole", yeah WE should get what it means even if the male Reviewers do not.

"Sometimes a tentacle is just a tentacle and sometimes it's a penis." Good?
"Sometimes a clitoris is just a clitoris and sometimes it's a penis." Bad... but someone's in on the joke as Clitorim as a name is a little on the... not nose, some other body part.

Episode 3, more smart funny than laugh out loud funny.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
I admit, having seen clips of that episode, the censoring is understandably insane to all hell but I think this show is proving it does have some brain or at least some comedic wit to it.

I admit i'm still on the fence about fully committing to the show as stated before but this episode is proving this show has strong comedic timing with a bit of a brain.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:13 am Reply with quote
It did feel weird that the male characters were hung up about Crim having sex with someone who wasn't a man but had a penis while no one batted an eye about Zel or Kinchal being plugged with all sorts of toys and tentacles.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
It did feel weird that the male characters were hung up about Crim having sex with someone who wasn't a man but had a penis while no one batted an eye about Zel or Kinchal being plugged with all sorts of toys and tentacles.

To be fair, Kinchal didn't ask for it. But yeah, slime girl tentacles being "straight" and hyena girls being "gay" kind of has to do with the line between what the characters consider "gay" or "straight" that was discussed in the episode. Things get confusing when sex swapping is involved, and social standards of orientation become even more arbitrary.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
... Crim having sex with someone who wasn't a man but had a penis

Let's call things by their names, IRL hyenas do not have a penis, they have an overgrown clitoris. What is the difference? You can't place a penis inside a penis, but male hyena's routinely place their's inside the female hyena clit to procreate.

Calling the female hyena genitalia a penis is misinformation and probably will create the false notion that female hyenas are real life futanaris and some might even think they can procreate without the need of a male.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
So the latest episode definitely is playing with a lot of interpretations. First, with hyenas, everyone here is right that it isn't technically a penis and is an enlarged clitoris that has similar capabilities (like an erection) but no, it can't be used to procreate in the same way as a male hyena's penis.

The hyena-girl in the anime is female; her psuedo-penis is part of the package for a female hyena. The confusion comes from trying to interpret what this means if the hyena wasn't a hyena which I think is supposed to up to whatever the viewer /wants/ to enjoy that set-up as; lady with strap-on, feminine intersex person, etc.

Crim is assumed male by their companions and is intersex. I don't they're playing up the futanari fetish as my understanding that applies specifically to feminine appearing characters with a penis but not both genitals (correct me if I'm wrong). I think it's a mistake to assign a gender to Crim at this point as they haven't specifically referred to themselves as either one and it'd be messy to say "Crim is an intersex lesbian because they act like a more stereotypically feminine character." Crim is shy and inexperienced but I don't think that's a reason to assign them as feminine.

Is Crim bisexual? Crim seems open to sexual experiences with all genders, whether female, male, or intersex. I don't have a problem with the use of "bisexual" or "pansexual" to describe Crim's sexuality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Halko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I don't they're playing up the futanari fetish as my understanding that applies specifically to feminine appearing characters with a penis but not both genitals (correct me if I'm wrong).

A futa is exactly what Crim is in the show and has both parts. A feminine looking male is simply a ladyboy or whats generally called a trap or more classically a transvestite.

Either way I think overall the situation in the show is handled with quite a bit of realism in how people would deal with such a fantasy situation. Things get super weird and complicated when things like this are thrown around and its good to see it digested and talked about.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:

Zel knew what he was getting into but a recurring joke with Kinchal is that he keeps getting into stuff that is way beyond what he was expecting. It happened previously with the octopus woman and in this episode Kinchal did not expect the halfling woman to be a domme.

octopodpie wrote:
Crim is assumed male by their companions and is intersex. I don't they're playing up the futanari fetish as my understanding that applies specifically to feminine appearing characters with a penis but not both genitals (correct me if I'm wrong). I think it's a mistake to assign a gender to Crim at this point as they haven't specifically referred to themselves as either one and it'd be messy to say "Crim is an intersex lesbian because they act like a more stereotypically feminine character." Crim is shy and inexperienced but I don't think that's a reason to assign them as feminine.

Crim has been calling himself a guy since the first episode though that partly has to do with him not wanting Stunk and Zel to make a move on him since he thinks they are perverts. I haven't read the manga but so far in the anime Crim consistently refers to himself as a guy and like the other reviewers he used a different name when he wrote the gender swap review with the hyena woman.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Crim is assumed male by their companions and is intersex. I don't they're playing up the futanari fetish as my understanding that applies specifically to feminine appearing characters with a penis but not both genitals (correct me if I'm wrong).

Looking back at the first three episodes with this thought in mind, I actually think that's exactly what the series is doing. The whole series so far is playing practically like someone is checking off a list of common doujinshi fetishes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Crim is assumed male by their companions and is intersex. I don't they're playing up the futanari fetish as my understanding that applies specifically to feminine appearing characters with a penis but not both genitals (correct me if I'm wrong).

Looking back at the first three episodes with this thought in mind, I actually think that's exactly what the series is doing. The whole series so far is playing practically like someone is checking off a list of common doujinshi fetishes.

I hate that I am actually saying this, but I’ve always been under the impression based on stuff I’ve seen that futa don’t have testicles as typically understood in the H world. Am I wrong? But we are shown he does have a full package in that one scene or is that supposed to be fake?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the characters had referred to Crim as a guy but I must have missed Crim actually referring to themselves that way.

Re: above, from the art I've seen there usually weren't testicles included but I thought it was just sort of an aesthetic choice...kinda like cartoon characters that only have four fingers. (This is the weirdest conversation I've had on this site)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13