• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:26 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
In the opening sequence, we see two pink-haired girls wearing different outfits, combine in a flash of light and turn into a magical girl. This leads me to guess that for some reason the wish that Iroha made, rather than curing Ui's illness, actually combined the both of them into one entity, hence why at the beginning of the series Iroha had forgotten her.

Maybe, but this bit is also heavily based on part of the original series opening, where Madoka merges with another Madoka. It may not have any meaning beyond that reference. This OP also makes the empty half of Iroha's room very conspicuous, though it does show her sitting on that side, which could potentially mean something. Spoiler from the JP edition of the mobile game-- spoiler[The NA game hasn't gotten to the Ui reveal unless it's in the chapter that just released the other day, but in the JP version Ui is a separate playable magical girl, which makes this theory seem pretty unlikely. She and Iroha also appeared as separate people in a crossover event taking place after the end of the first main arc. Knowing those things, my guess is that Ui's disappearance has more to do with her own wish than Iroha's.]
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:25 am Reply with quote
"Tsuruno has some unspoken bad blood with Yachiyo, which the show telegraphs by having both of the girls constantly talk around their not-quite-friendship. They also apparently both would have written Mifuyu's name on the Séance Shrine's plaque. Twenty bucks says she's a Magical Girl who used to work with the two before dying horribly."

Tsuruno does not have bad blood with anyone, not even Mifuyu. Yachiyo is just trying to push her away and dosent want her close, the same way she treats iroha. Tsurono just comes on stronger. She will have bad blood, but not with any of her original yachiyo team or the new 5.

Momoko does not hate Yachiyo. The ending is a hint of why Yachiyo is generally cold and annoyed by anyone. The elevator floor is the number of days Yachiyo was a magical girl (a lot longer then usual) and the scenes of her getting despondent and crying are two events that happened. That is the origination of Yachiyo acting how she does to people. You will find out soon.

But that wasn't momoko, that was Ria, who is a rival model that Yachiyo cant even remeber who she is, lol.

I'm going to need those 20 bucks. You can send me by cash app or paypal.

Possibly 40 for how far in foul ball territory your ball went lol, but that would be spoiler level.
Amy192

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Iroha tried to call Kuroe in episode 2 but she didn't pick up, I assume that Kuroe has found the saving magical girls thing
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:15 pm Reply with quote
As cool as Sayaka was summoning Oktavia Von Seckendorf as if it were a Stand in Rebellion (with some very special and specific circumstances behinda), I don't think I'm liking this encore that much.
The transformation in the original series was quick and irreversible, so why do this now? It reeks of game mechanics honestly. Knowing the witch forms of all girls was a source of morbid curiosity, but did it need to happen so easily in-series?

As for the gathering of witches, I thought it was obvious: if you gather more mahou shoujo, you'll naturally be gathering more witches. But if the two events are separate it could be interesting.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 made some major changes to the series and I really liked the Bleach style transformations. Magia Record looks to be a more mainstream series with a combination of magical girl story and shonen style action. The characters have less rough edges than the original series which did make it amusing when Yachiyo talked about being trapped in the past. Within the show itself that edgy dialogue seems reasonable but it is hard not to compare it to the far more tragic events of the original series. Still it was wonderful to see Mami again even if she was ready to kill anything that might be a witch.
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Pro-tip: this has nothing to do with rebellion. Lose that notion and you will understand better.
The uwasa of the seance shrine makes its imposters based on your memories of a person.

There is a very huge reveal if you paid attention to the Ui imposter and the Mifuyu imposter behaviour.
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
As cool as Sayaka was summoning Oktavia Von Seckendorf as if it were a Stand in Rebellion (with some very special and specific circumstances behinda), I don't think I'm liking this encore that much.
The transformation in the original series was quick and irreversible, so why do this now? It reeks of game mechanics honestly. Knowing the witch forms of all girls was a source of morbid curiosity, but did it need to happen so easily in-series?

As for the gathering of witches, I thought it was obvious: if you gather more mahou shoujo, you'll naturally be gathering more witches. But if the two events are separate it could be interesting.

The "encore" has mechanics related only to kamihama city and one of the reasons kyubey cant go in. They also are not "witch forms" but another form you will learn soon
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
#900545 wrote:
Iroha tried to call Kuroe in episode 2 but she didn't pick up, I assume that Kuroe has found the saving magical girls thing

She definitely found some "black wings"

Ohohohoh
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought that one of the dreams early on the show explained exactly what the deal with witches going there was, that magical girl and witch alike were getting those dream messages to go there. To me the dream Iroha felt even stronger if the others were witches, the first episode even had that witch seem to take them off the train and then go to the city before being killed by another witch.

In general it was like their transformations in Rebellion had a witch like tinge in creepiness to them, which felt like a hint to the truth of their situation. Both Sayaka and Nagisa had been removed from the cycle when they would were turning into witches, thus why they could pull from their witch nature once serious.

The important part of becoming a witch is that their soul gem, their true self, breaks into a grief seed, but instead the witch like nature kind of spreads out of it, presumably something to do with the city, maybe how they can be saved since the corruption goes out of it. I am leaning on a theory that the rumour witches, ones like the staircase and shrine kind, that we don't see a name of nor drop grief seeds, might be a collection of the corruption that seeps out of them when they go semi-witch. It was mentioned in the episode that urban legends are like collective wishes, thus why they are a collection. They also seem to be able to read the memory of the people, the staircase witch being able to play on insecurities of their relationships, and the staircase able to create a version of the person based on memories. Iroha can't really remember anything about Ui, thus she just kept repeating the call that draws magical girls and witches to the city.
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:18 am Reply with quote
I am sure this will be a 26 ep show based on the size of the game plot. Otherwise answers to some plot questions are coming in like 2 eps so stay tuned
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Has yashiyo's age been stated in the anime? I kept myself away from the game's spoilers but got psoiled that part, some speculation canbe possible but I don't want to step on toes.

Yuvelir wrote:

About the first point: In one of the spin offs, there is a witch that looks exactly like and behaves like a mahou shoujo, so there is precedent of that without breaking the rules; that si why mami tought it was a withc being disguised as a MS.

About the second point: The rumour makes it so more mahou shoujo come to kamihama and thus more witches will be born there, so it all checks out, you are correct.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
About the first point: In one of the spin offs, there is a witch that looks exactly like and behaves like a mahou shoujo, so there is precedent of that without breaking the rules; that si why mami tought it was a withc being disguised as a MS.

Witches are varied and many have several forms, so it isn't weird what Mami thought of it (if convenient, considering what happened in that loop where she realized the truth), but I didn't mean in appearances. Rather, the fact that they can witchify and dewitchify like some videogame bersek mode. I know there's some brand new in-universe rule specifically created to allow that, but it feels kind of iffy, moreso because the imposibility of doing so was a pretty dramatic key point in the original series spoiler[when QB worded it in such a way to make Kyouko believe otherwise so she gets herself killed]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, everythign makes it look liek they can dewitchify, but I am with mami's side right now and think they are in some kind of witch loop, as it ahs happened before. In that spin off the witch, whom has mahou shoujo esque powers, can actually go full loop and recontract with qb to become a ms.
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Yeah, everythign makes it look liek they can dewitchify, but I am with mami's side right now and think they are in some kind of witch loop, as it ahs happened before. In that spin off the witch, whom has mahou shoujo esque powers, can actually go full loop and recontract with gsqb to become a ms.

No, they are not in a labyrinth.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
witch loop, not labyrinth; meaning that mahou shoujo beocmes withc, withc disguises herself as a mahou shoujo but once she realizes she is a witch and not a MS, she can wish and become a MS as the witch is considered a new living being.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9