• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If the gruesome content doesn't deter you

It did and it does.

I don't recommend this series to anyone. I'm sorry to have to say that, but it is the truth.

Mark Gosdin
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:05 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:

It did and it does.

I don't recommend this series to anyone. I'm sorry to have to say that, but it is the truth.

Mark Gosdin

So you don't personally like it. Mkay.

Man this fight was so unbelievably dope in the manga, I hope they do it right here.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Show is super Violent

- I don't recommend this series to anyone. I'm sorry to have to say that, but it is the truth.

So you are seriously not gonna recommend one of the best series of 2017 because its violent?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:

It did and it does.

Mark Gosdin

If you mean the fetishistic stuff, then yeah that's gross for sure, but compared to how masterfully crafted the series is otherwise, it's only a minor inconvenience. If the show was anything less, I can understand it being enough to turn someone away, but I can't imagine willingly let someone miss out on such a masterpiece because of one problematic element that can be easily ignored for the most part.

If you're referred to just the physical brutality in general, that's another story because it's more prevalent. Some people just can't handle gritty and brutal violence, especially when it's children that are suffering, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also necessary viewing if you're interested in the larger plot of Made in Abyss, because the characters come out of this film as changed people, and there's a feeling that they've reached the point of no return.

Actually, they've literally gone past the point of no return, at that point...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Those who loved the series, will probably love the movie, if the reviewer is correct.
Glad the movie adaptation is fantastic, will have to try and find it.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see this film myself in theaters. Hope we get info on release date soon. It's gonna be amazing and heartbreaking, just like its masterpiece first season.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 am Reply with quote
I'm on the fence. I've read that part of the manga, and I'm not sure I want to see it animated --- the manga is grim enough without the added intensity of animation and voice.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:21 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:

It did and it does.

Mark Gosdin

If you mean the fetishistic stuff, then yeah that's gross for sure, but compared to how masterfully crafted the series is otherwise, it's only a minor inconvenience. If the show was anything less, I can understand it being enough to turn someone away, but I can't imagine willingly let someone miss out on such a masterpiece because of one problematic element that can be easily ignored for the most part.

If you're referred to just the physical brutality in general, that's another story because it's more prevalent. Some people just can't handle gritty and brutal violence, especially when it's children that are suffering, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Please don't play down "fetishistic stuff".The story arcs after what the movie adapted has it a plenty-And the the body-horror and violence only increases as the manga's story progresses.

@Mark Gosdin Made in Abyss is a brutal body-horror story and contains child-fetishism.People have been stating those facts on these forums since Made in Abyss's anime was announced...sometimes checking out the source material is a good thing...
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Please don't play down "fetishistic stuff".The story arcs after what the movie adapted has it a plenty-And the the body-horror and violence only increases as the manga's story progresses.

It depends on if ThatGuyWhoLikesThings is talking about the anime or the manga.

If we're talking about the TV anime or its existing movie adaptations then I agree with them and the fetishistic stuff is terribly minor and very easily overlooked. There's what, an extremely brief scene of spoiler[Riko "strung up nude"] which is played for laughs rather than titillation and contains no detail whatsoever. There's the fact that spoiler[Maruruk's cross-dressing may actually be coerced by Ozen]. Those are pretty low on the offensive content scale in my opinion, especially compared to anime in general. Your average school comedy has far more sexualized content. Oh, and there was a comment or two about Reg spoiler[having a functioning penis despite being a robot,] but again that was played for laughs rather than titillation and there was nothing graphic shown on screen either. Also, I'm fully expecting that to have some major plot significance which has yet to be revealed. I find the fetish content in the anime to be very minor--not just on an absolute scale, but especially compared to the violence and body horror aspect of the show.

If we're talking the manga, then yeah, there is a lot more of the fetishistic sort of content. How much of it makes it into any future anime remains to be seen. But even then the fetishistic content barely moves the needle compared to the violence and horror aspects.

Last edited by AkumaChef on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I like Made in Abyss but I’d argue the violence aspect against children is also very fetishtic. It’s one of those series that I’ll watch because it’s great storytelling/world building but don’t want to own because it makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Like I haven’t seen the movie yet but the preview when Reg is clearly being tortured while naked. Is there any need for that? Showing torture of a child is bad enough but why does he need to be naked. Can cruelty be shown without showing these things?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I like Made in Abyss but I’d argue the violence aspect against children is also very fetishtic. It’s one of those series that I’ll watch because it’s great storytelling/world building but don’t want to own because it makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Children and violence are very commonly found together in anime, though perhaps not treated as seriously as it is in MiA.

Quote:
Like I haven’t seen the movie yet but the preview when Reg is clearly being tortured while naked. Is there any need for that? Showing torture of a child is bad enough but why does he need to be naked. Can cruelty be shown without showing these things?

I haven't seen the film, but in the manga there is a solid plot reason for it. spoiler[In that scene Reg was being subjected to medical experiments to study what kind of relic he is. The intent was not torture, though though the results might as well have been.]

That said, it's also pretty tame compared to what else happens later in the arc.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:

It did and it does.

Mark Gosdin

Good thing I'm not talking about what happens after the movie, huh? Then again, you'd think that would be obvious.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I'm not talking about what happens after the movie, huh? Then again, you'd think that would be obvious.

That is the million dollar question.

Is there any light to be found at the bottom of the Abyss?

Maybe there is a whole another world down there, like in the movie, "The Land That Time Forgot".

Whether this is going to end in tragedy, salvation, or something in between; I will be watching till the end.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:36 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

That is the million dollar question.

Is there any light to be found at the bottom of the Abyss?

Maybe there is a whole another world down there, like in the movie, "The Land That Time Forgot".

Whether this is going to end in tragedy, salvation, or something in between; I will be watching till the end.

The manga's is approaching it's half-way mark,the story's been on the final layer for a few chapters now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2