• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I kind of liked how the student council themselves were shown.

Same, when I saw them I thought that I don't care if they're villains or just temporary antagonists who'll be won over, the important thing that so many shows ignore is that your show's enemies should also look cool. Whether they're crazy fancy like in Kill la Kill, or "normal" to the point of creepiness like Agent Smith from Matrix, villains should be impressive and/or cool, even if they're just for comedy.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed Episode #5 - nice showcase of the "vision tension" that can occur between creatives and their sponsors.

I bet the studios wish they had a Kanamori around to help during discussions with the Production Committees. Laughing
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:47 pm Reply with quote
This show has inspired me to experiment with watercolors!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
At this point I think it is fair enough to say that Kanamori is best girl.

Also, my suspicion is that overdesigned the robot beyond what they will be able to animate. Kanamori was already questioning it.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I gotta admit, this is easily my favorite anime for this season. Seeing Midori get lost in her inner world while attempting to work on animated projects is a hoot and her interactions with other classmates and school staff offers fun chemistry. And this is coming from someone who doesn't typically get into anime comedies that easily. Great stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
There is just so much in this show to enjoy. Some of my favorite parts, especially after this last episode, are the little dives into the eccentricities of the student body. Is it important to the main cast necessarily? No, but it certainly helps make their world appear much more lively and unique. The school kind of reminds me of Louis Sachar's Sideways Stories from Wayside School.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly this is kind of a nitpick but is there any reason the reviews keep referring to the characters as "women"? It just strikes me as an incredibly weird word choice considering they're all like, sixteen years old, max.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Admittedly this is kind of a nitpick but is there any reason the reviews keep referring to the characters as "women"? It just strikes me as an incredibly weird word choice considering they're all like, sixteen years old, max.

“Girls” feels creepy to me. I suppose I could use “artists” instead of even mentioning their gender, but “women” feels like a term that reflects the respect I have for these characters.

None of them behave like children - they’re reflective of different creative personalities, and so “girls” feels inappropriately belittling to me. This is not a Cute Girls Doing Cute Things show, it’s about what it takes to make collaborative art.
sjk9000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
The review referred to Doukmeki as "him", but according the Eizouken anime website, she's a she.
http://eizouken-anime.com/character/?id=4

This seems to be a common error, and I can understand why. It's a very androgynous character design.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I’m wondering if we’re converging on a Stone Soup story line — by the time the film is done it will have input and involvement from every club on campus, the school staff, and even some of the local merchants.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The back-and-forth through that final scene was just fantastic. Mizusaki's line about how making robot anime is always some sort of crime got me. How do you present a fantasy that somehow doesn't just feel like a pack of lies? What is audience approval, even? And yet without knowing the answers, they keep going.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
As someone whose handle a few volunteered school project, I feel like they're doing a big mistake getting help from other club. Ultimately the other club don't have much skin in the game and getting volunteer to do their job often ends up being more work than just doing it yourself, especially job that involved following instruction like painting generic background.

Also Midori keep changing stuff on them for little to no reason, the group was specific about waiting the anime to be about their robot, yet she just went and changed the appearance last week and this week she just changed the height... because... If I was paying people for a specific project and they'd keep changing it on me for no particular reason I'd be pissed (and they wouldn't see their money at the end of the day). If this and shirobako are true to life, I don't have much respect for director, they come of as capricious and lazy.
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Kanamori could intimidate a yakuza boss. Just the kind of person a producer needs to be to ride herd on her partners and the other clubs she ropes into working on their project.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
yurigasaki wrote:

“Girls” feels creepy to me. I suppose I could use “artists” instead of even mentioning their gender, but “women” feels like a term that reflects the respect I have for these characters.

None of them behave like children - they’re reflective of different creative personalities, and so “girls” feels inappropriately belittling to me. This is not a Cute Girls Doing Cute Things show, it’s about what it takes to make collaborative art.
Well I mean, girls can be artists too...there's nothing bad about being a girl. It can be used as a pejorative, but it doesn't have to be!

Not that I disagree with your actual decision in any way, it's sort of a nonissue for me either way. Use whichever one you like better!

It does make me a little sad to think that "girls" or "boys" might be abandoned as terms outside of belittling, because I think girls and boys (as in, younger version of women and men) can be rich characters with complexity and dignity in their own right. They don't always have to be infantilized or held up on a moe pedestal in the way that CGDCT implies. "Coming of age" is a classical story structure that I adore, but it does sort of imply that being "A Woman" is somehow better and superior to being "A Girl", when I think there is room to celebrate both states of being as distinct and worthy on their own. (ditto of course for "Boys" and "Men") Girls can do all sorts of interesting things, and be interesting, without having to draw some invisible line that says only "women" can be interesting characters, girls are just not worthy of considering their internal life yet.

But again, that's just an internet rant. I get where you are coming from, even if I don't really think it's necessary.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Kind of wild robot shows even became a thing with anime, given that they're uniquely unsuitable for animation before the advent of CG. A-lot of America's animation style was built on the principals of trying to avoid drawing crap as detailed as giant robots (generalizing, but there's a reason Bruce Timm/Disney/Simpsons etc. model sheets were pretty simple).

Found Midori pretty relatable in this episode. Her combination of passion and anxiety that makes her difficult to be understood by other people.

Just her losing track of what she was going to say because she didn't expect to have to explain things a couple reference points down and then completely lose her confidence resulting in being unable to make them understand her is well... mood.

Also her self-doubt, just picking apart an idea going "Is this really as good as I think it is? Or is it just going to be embarrassingly bad once I bring the idea to fruition.". I think anybody who has tried to do anything creative and gone past the dunning kruger effect has hit that wall at some point.

Kanamori may not be an artist but she's right in saying "You think you're so slick you can make something everyone likes?", in reality any piece of art isn't going to please everyone, even the ones that are put through audience test after audience test for maximum profitability.

People are going to resonant differently to art depending on their own life-experiences, worldviews, personalities, and aesthetic preferences. At least some people are going to hate your work, and that's kind of the point of it. Not pleasing everyone goes hand in hand with having an individual voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9