• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Railgun T

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was especially great seeing Touma and Misaki together for the 'first' time. For anybody interested, the relevant NT novel that focuses on Misaki's back story sold out the day after this episode aired, the very same one that this encounter only vaguely hints at. It's pretty crazy how popular Shokuhou is in spite of having so little screen time.

That's awesome. I'm holding off on the NT novels for the time being, but I can't wait to read Misaki's backstory. I like Misaki too, I enjoy her frenemy relationship with Misaka.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, if last year's Character Popularity Poll results* were any indication, the Index/Railgun fanbase has always had a kind of infatuation with characters who have comparatively few appearances. Laughing

* Link to poll results, but caution: the name of one of the characters in the top ten is itself a NT spoiler.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:12 am Reply with quote
Well, I will say after that episode that the studio finally has gotten a firm idea of how to frame and shoot action back. Compared to the Index 3 fights, the Misaka clone and her fighting are presented better and with more dynamic shots.

It is nice to see how the Sisters's different experiences lead to different styles of combat.

Also, it's nice seeing the other elements of the larger world converge at points and the supporting cast is strong in this entry.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
^ Railgun and Index have different directors.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
So what do we have here at episode four? We have Saten trying to hijack the plot and then the real plot being set into motion. Another good episode, but I'd like to take a minute to tear down this series' worst character.

Saten's only talents include distributing PED's (the level upper), acting as a vehicle to move the plot along, and getting her friends into undeserved trouble due to her largely irresponsible behavior. Now, I don't necessarily hate Saten, but she is a stupid character, one who would be better served in a true slice-of-life anime and not a battle-action series like To Aru.

I really do wonder how many anime only viewers are hating Shokuhou right about now. I also wonder how much that will change in the coming weeks.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
ep 4 review wrote:
I had speculated last episode that she may have nabbed 10032 on accident, but this episode's actions suggest that either she did know it was one of the clones or else she quickly realized that it was (she was aware of their existence anyway) and pivoted her plans on that.

She definitely knew before they abducted her. She got that phone call from the blond guy before the actual kidnapping and made a comment implying the person she saw on tv wasn't Mikoto.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:36 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Well, if last year's Character Popularity Poll results* were any indication, the Index/Railgun fanbase has always had a kind of infatuation with characters who have comparatively few appearances. Laughing

* Link to poll results, but caution: the name of one of the characters in the top ten is itself a NT spoiler.

most of us cant read jp, so its not that much of a spoiler since their all from index 3!

personally, i hope that kuroko remains in this docile state for a while and less of her acting like a man hating lesbian.

the last thing the series needs is for a fanservice filler ep showing EXACTLY what she was doing while watching those pictures of mikoto. i dont think anyone wants to see another nina einstein scenario occur in railgun, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
^ Railgun and Index have different directors.

This is painfully obvious. I'm an anime only watcher and I have only watched the first two seasons of Index (plus the movie) and the first two seasons of Railgun, and now I just started the third of Railgun. The difference between the series is off the charts - I don't know about liberties in adaptation from the source material, but Railgun feels like a completely different series than Index in its storytelling. More engaging stories, better written characters and dialogue, nicer scene transitioning, better set up and execution in the story progression. Index was simply not at all engaging, it left me wondering why is there such a big franchise for something as mediocre as this. But then Railgun came along and suddenly things got fun again!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
More engaging stories, better written characters and dialogue, nicer scene transitioning, better set up and execution in the story progression.

Some of the stand-alone Index novels were originally written with the pacing of single-coeur anime shows, yet they get barely four episodes in the anime adaptation. Some barely even get two episodes. Something has to be cut, and it's usually the stuff you mention in your post.

Meanwhile, the Railgun anime adaptation once spent sixteen episodes adapting roughly three manga volumes, and often adds "filler arcs" that further develop its characters. (No wonder many anime-only fans find the Railgun crew to be more well-developed characters than the Index ones!)
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:09 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Kirki wrote:
More engaging stories, better written characters and dialogue, nicer scene transitioning, better set up and execution in the story progression.

Some of the stand-alone Index novels were originally written with the pacing of single-coeur anime shows, yet they get barely four episodes in the anime adaptation. Some barely even get two episodes. Something has to be cut, and it's usually the stuff you mention in your post.

Meanwhile, the Railgun anime adaptation once spent sixteen episodes adapting roughly three manga volumes, and often adds "filler arcs" that further develop its characters. (No wonder many anime-only fans find the Railgun crew to be more well-developed characters than the Index ones!)

I honestly think that most people would greatly prefer Index if its anime adaptations didn't completely suck. Damn shame that such an amazing series has gotten such poor adaptations.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Saten has shown a talent in the past for being able to bumble her way into major plotlines while pursuing her fascination with urban legends

It goes to ways that it feels like it's a power in itself, so I call saten a dual skill wielder.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Glad that Kongou's confrontation was given the seriousness and her character wasn't changed from what I remember from this portion of the manga. She wasn't just some stupid ojou-sama like she had been treated prior to this point.
Stiles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Glad that Kongou's confrontation was given the seriousness and her character wasn't changed from what I remember from this portion of the manga. She wasn't just some stupid ojou-sama like she had been treated prior to this point.

Agreed.

Kongou never should have appeared in the previous seasons of Railgun since it directly breaks canon and somewhat misinterprets her character. This episode did right by her and I'm glad to see this fight wasn't omitted.

Kisuke525 wrote:
I honestly think that most people would greatly prefer Index if its anime adaptations didn't completely suck. Damn shame that such an amazing series has gotten such poor adaptations.

I've never thought the Index adaptation is poor, nor do I think that it's worse than the Railgun adaptation. Railgun, historically, has spent too much time with filler and characters that have little to no significance to the To Aru plot. I will never understand the fascination with the Railgun anime. It's good side story, but it's not nearly as interesting or as fulfilling as Index proper.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Just to give a heads up to the reviewer, in case they didn't know. Kongou doesn't appear in the Railgun manga until this arc. She is technically a transfer student. Thats the reason she feels so much different than in the previous 2 seasons, because those appearances were all anime original. Kongou is great in the manga. Just thought Id let you know.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:02 am Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Agreed.

Kongou never should have appeared in the previous seasons of Railgun since it directly breaks canon and somewhat misinterprets her character. This episode did right by her and I'm glad to see this fight wasn't omitted.

Kisuke525 wrote:

I've never thought the Index adaptation is poor, nor do I think that it's worse than the Railgun adaptation. Railgun, historically, has spent too much time with filler and characters that have little to no significance to the To Aru plot. I will never understand the fascination with the Railgun anime. It's good side story, but it's not nearly as interesting or as fulfilling as Index proper.

Im surprised how you can say the Index adaptations are not a mess. besides Volume 1 and maybe 3, every Volume adapted into the Index anime has been rushed to hell. Index 3 was easily the biggest offender. They could have made it more tolerable, by stopping the adaptation right before the WW3 arc, and then doing WW3 as a movie trilogy, but whats done is done. I watched Index 3 weekly, and if I didn't read the novels before hand, I would have been so lost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14