• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove it

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Strands of hair stuck in my teeth---ew, no thanks. Maybe that's just a personal problem. Razz

I don't think you'd get hair in your teeth from a chaste kiss like that. Laughing
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I cracked up at the episode 7 joke about the 3 suitors! That was a stupendous little joke about Fermat's Last Theorem. And, as with much of the earlier content, bizarrely accurate, but I guess by now there's not much reason to doubt the author's mathematical bona fides.

EDIT: I should have waited a few minutes! The Zermelo's Axiom of Choice reference---what in the world?! Laughing Laughing This show feels like it was produced in a truly strange alternate universe...
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I like this show and i find i WANT? to like it maybe more than i really do if that makes any sense... it has good stuff going on, and is rather unique in some ways. but that stupid bear ya we get it we got it the first time we saw him and we dont need to ever see him again, Sands of Destruction it made sense and was BEARable sorry for that, but now no so much.

well hmm i will see i am not as excited as i was to start but frankly this season is really really shallow and barren. Not much else to watch or look forward to which is sad. I was hoping for more good stuff from Hero Academia and from the new Railgun but both seem to have fallen into the trap of repeating themselves..some good series flop by looking into the mirror too much ..... and just cannot bring fresh material enough to keep them selves vital and alive.

I will watch Hyouka again and hope for New Yuru Canping full eps maybe?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
I'm a sucker for new takes on fairy tales, and they outdid themselves with this. I especially loved the shock at "That can't be true! Organisms can live on the moon?!" It was a bit disconcerting though at the end, where Yukimura thought Kaguya should have been kept as a study specimen. Shocked
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:17 pm Reply with quote
As someone with a math PhD from Cornell, I have to appreciate that there's an anime this season with the lines "I can't believe that they proved the Poincare conjecture using topology. Yeah, it's a consequence of Thurston's geometrization conjecture." Bill Thurston was at Cornell while I was there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:45 am Reply with quote
While abuse or bullying could explain the bandaids, my first thought was that Ibarada got them from beating up Inukai's bullies. Not that she would ever tell him that, but if that's the case, he probably knew and that would explain his concern.

It's funny, we're so coded to view bandaids as evidence of some sort of beating that it doesn't even occur that it's just the result of the normal childhood mishaps of rambunctious kids who leap before they look.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:38 am Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
I like this show and i find i WANT? to like it maybe more than i really do if that makes any sense... it has good stuff going on, and is rather unique in some ways. but that stupid bear ya we get it we got it the first time we saw him and we dont need to ever see him again, Sands of Destruction it made sense and was BEARable sorry for that, but now no so much.

well hmm i will see i am not as excited as i was to start but frankly this season is really really shallow and barren. Not much else to watch or look forward to which is sad. I was hoping for more good stuff from Hero Academia and from the new Railgun but both seem to have fallen into the trap of repeating themselves..some good series flop by looking into the mirror too much ..... and just cannot bring fresh material enough to keep them selves vital and alive.

I will watch Hyouka again and hope for New Yuru Canping full eps maybe?

That stupid bear would be much less irritating if it didn't use the word 'bear' in place of punctuation. They even carried that obnoxious detail over in the english dub.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
As someone with a math PhD from Cornell, I have to appreciate that there's an anime this season with the lines "I can't believe that they proved the Poincare conjecture using topology. Yeah, it's a consequence of Thurston's geometrization conjecture." Bill Thurston was at Cornell while I was there.

Laughing
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:21 pm Reply with quote
As a grad student in STEM, I feel like it's really not abnormal at all for people (especially professors) to ask questions in the middle of a conference presentation like this. Like it's not something that will likely happen in a class setting, but it's not uncommon in more professional settings for people to ask questions before the presenter reaches the end of their prepared slides
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah -- I think it varies by conference & discipline, and obviously they were a little melodramatic in the episode, but mid-talk interruptions with occasionally pointed questions are not at all an uncommon experience at conferences in technical disciplines.

I also rather appreciated that the "complicated" paper was solving for Nash equilibria with tabu search, and that the questioning prof insisted the student should have used some kind of genetic algorithm to hunt down multiple equilbria. I spent a fair bit of time with all of those ideas in grad school (although only glancing at tabu search); it's weirdly surreal to see them discussed correctly and not entirely superficially in an anime.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
It's also very relatable to be months into a mathematical research project and then, when asked "so... what's the point?" have no idea how to answer.

Last edited by Yttrbio on Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Yeah -- I think it varies by conference & discipline, and obviously they were a little melodramatic in the episode, but mid-talk interruptions with occasionally pointed questions are not at all an uncommon experience at conferences in technical disciplines.

Neither are they in other disciplines like History and Classical Literature. This episode brought back some of my PTSD from presenting at a few Medievalist conferences I attended in my younger days. I completely emphasized with Kanade's freak-out, because that was me once.

This series has been one of my absolute favorites this year. I've really enjoyed the characters and the gags. Wasn't sure if they'd be able to milk this concept for an entire season, but so far they've done a pretty good job. This will almost certainly wind up in my top 3 for the season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it any wonder she slaps him?

It's an explanation, but far from a justification. I was really disappointed that the writers made her resort to that. Having her just stop dead, give an icy "Yes, of course you're right," and walking away while showing us on her face how deeply that wounded her would've been much more resonant for me. Her slapping him just distanced me from her pain rather than involving me in it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
What I liked about them critiquing their kiss was how they blended very tender actions (her holding his face in her hands (before she wrenched his neck), him touching her lips with his fingertip) with their analysis while not even noticing how intimate their touches were being.

I'm satisfied with this season, but if they do a second, it would be a medium-priority watch, depending on how crowded the field was. I think they should just stop here.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
A fun show overall. I wouldn't mind seeing a second season but they need to explore Kanade's life more. She was probably my favourite character
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3