• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Interspecies Reviewers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crim, the only one with much sense of self-preservation

More like common sense. Stunk even thought he would have enough energy for the girl at the door after servicing dozens of girls inside, his ego no doubt was cut down to size after this experience.

Quote:
The surprise here is learning that Crim is heat resistant

No surprise at all, it is by the book!

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm

I am bit surprised that while waiting for Cream to come back, no one mentioned something about getting a ring of fire resistance next time they come.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Yeah, it has me wondering how many people weren't watching these shows specifically because of the lack of consent?

I don't know how many people, but as someone who will watch fanservice shows, that is something that will get me to drop it if it ends up being a recurring situation. Once I might side-eye (like those oh so common groping in the locker room situations) but if it's continual I drop it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
well, finally decided to watch the show

it has good comedic timing and execution. It's jokes are varied and well done. It is mostly sex positive excluding the bird girl in the bar and what happens with her at times but most it does seem fine.

I actually like this show's comedy, will probably watch it further
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
I know that jerkass protagonists are kind of a "your mileage will vary" thing, but I'm pretty sure that Stunk and Zel are supposed to be likable. I personally like them, and I haven't heard anything about them being unlikeable, unlike someone like Rance. Note that likeable doesn't necessarily mean someone that you would like to emulate, but it does mean someone you find entertaining. That said, I'm sure that many people would like to be them... at least in a fantasy world without STDs or accidental pregnancies to worry about.

I think it's a little bit of both, to be honest. Granted, I have two episodes' worth of impressions to go by, since that's as far as I got before Wakanime removed it, but I'm thinking the two were meant to be a little bit divisive. They're at times kinda rude towards each other and each other's taste in women, and their conversations about sex are extremely flippant. (Hence the "dudebro" comment on AnimeFeminist.)

But on the other hand, the two of them DID save Crim from someone or something that had bad designs on the angel, and while they eventually had some underlying motives about helping him(?) once they found out he was an angel, they also did offer to take him to a brothel (and paying for it.) And Stunk isn't cheating Crim out of the money he earned from his writing either, as he is shown giving the angel his (again?) share without being prompted or confronted in any way about it. Stunk and Zel's regulars also seem pretty happy to see them, and they their regulars. (Even though I'm pretty sure they both know they're sexing up others on the side, because work.)

Of course, prostitution in itself is a topic that takes a certain kind of... uh, balls... to bring up in an anime, especially if you're planning on putting a positive spin on it. Because in this world, and depending on the country, prostitution is very much steeped in people feeding drug habits or girls being forced into it, so I can fully understand why people would be uncomfortable watching this. But this show actually does put a lot of care in making the whole thing come across as, as people have mentioned, sex positive and consensual -- like, in the pixie den, first-time customers need to have their tools measured for the sake of the safety of the girls -- so for me, this is mostly a case of "I hope I never have to experience the other shoe drop in this world". That is, if I ever get a chance to watch the rest. So far, it's been... surprisingly fun, although I half expected that after reading the ANN season preview.

As for the girl in the bar; so far, it's been Stunk either do the "stroke them with a finger between their wings" thing or making some vaguely harrass-y comments towards her -- the gravity-boobs thing. And he usually gets walloped when he goes too far too. That aside, the reviews were kind of funny too, and even kinda adorable, as with... Zel, I think? ...commenting that "after [the sex], we went skinny dipping in a river, which was nice" when he was talking about the harpies.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
its a surprise the review ratings are getting the benifit of the doubt considering the majority of other series in the genere that is not named highschool dxd gets completely obliterated!!!

but my real worry is that it might end up going down the same trap that ruined darling in the franxx. hopefully if they keep the series lile this, then they wont have to worry about falling under that trap thereby justifying those streamers from canceling the showing of this series without a viable and plausible explaination!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote
Great to see the reviews of the Reviewers continuing Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:41 am Reply with quote
Me too (!), but it feels a little unfair being able to read a review but not being able to watch in the US...How did you do that Mr. Martin?
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:24 am Reply with quote
Not gonna turn this into another "political debate" based on Funimation's decisions. I just have to say great work for finding an alternative method of continuing your reviews after that ship had sailed! It's great to see that the fine people at ANN weren't gonna use it as an excuse to stop reviewing the series.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 5;
This time, in the first half, we meet spoiler[cyclop girls]. We see what differences there are on what different species find attractive. And our halfling and angel sure like their boobs...

The second part, well, we're not in spoiler[animal kingdom] anymore, it's spoiler[mushroom] time Cool . Also, our usual trio has a new companion, a spoiler[fairy] by the looks of it. And Crim once again proves why he's the chad.
This half may likely prove the most controversial to date, due to the appearances of the girls.
And I hope Stunk learns his lesson, well, probably not, but still...

Will watch the uncensored version later, but the AnimeLab version(which came out quite quick considering the 4th episode), was surprisingly light on the censorship.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quick side question: To use AnimeLab, are us folks outside Au/NZ going to have to use a VPN? I have used one for general privacy purposes before and it wasn't too bad, just a bit of a speed hit.

I am thinking of waiting about six or seven weeks, then I could subscribe for one month, and then binge eps 4 through 10, and get the rest week by week.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Quick side question: To use AnimeLab, are us folks outside Au/NZ going to have to use a VPN? I have used one for general privacy purposes before and it wasn't too bad, just a bit of a speed hit.

Well, if you strictly want to play by the book(though they likely have a ban on vpns in their TOS). I just used the ripped stream.

Whether a vpn helps might depend on whether or not they take into account where you're paying from though...
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
^ Ok. Thanks.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
For anyone watching the AnimeLab version and wondering what the black screen part in the second half hid, it was spoiler[the four nude mushroom lolis licking and and kneading and riding a giant mushroom stalk until it burst a cloud of spores from the top] Cool ...
Elves

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I've got to say I'm impressed by the provocative, grown-up discussion going on in this thread. Kudos to all for giving thoughtful interpretations of the most smartly written lewd manga/show I've ever had the fortune/misfortune of stumbling upon and actually enjoying. I am so~o not the target audience, but the unabashed humor captured my attention...and now I'm in too deep. No going back.

Glad to see the reviews continuing on!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, for the first half color me disappointed, the moment I heard cyclops I thought "hell yeah, they are giant-kin, they are going to be huge" (the opposite of the faeries episode) but alas it was not meant to be, they are the cutesy type like in the Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary manga. I suppose I will have to wait for Plus-sized Elf to get an anime adaption to see a couple of huge sized girls.

Quote:
The fairy matron from back in episode 2 has her counterpart here in the similarly run-down-by-life attitude of the myconid matron

When I saw her that not was what came to mind, IMO both her face and her attitude reminded me of Sucy Manbavaran from Little Witch Academia, which also loved mushrooms. This might be a coincidence, I admit.

Not surprised there was no reference to the hallucinogenic qualities of some mushrooms, the last thing this series needs into put a foot over that landmine Anime hyper

I was reading 1d4 and seems that the original inspiration that created the D&D myconoids was Disney's Fantasia, it has now come full circle (animation --> D&D --> manga --> anime).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13