• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Optic Blast from the Past

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to call my shot here & now, but I am predicting that, immediately after the end of the MvC2 invitational at Evo, Capcom will announce a "Marvel vs. Capcom 25th Anniversary Collection", similar to the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection. I just feel that there's no way Evo, in its current form, would host an MvC2 tournament as a main attraction, without any involvement from Capcom whatsoever. Combine that with the recent Arcade1Up cabinets that include Capcom-developed Marvel arcade games, and I think it's only a matter of time until there's a new console/PC release for those games.

Sure, the technical 25th Anniversary of the OG Marvel/Capcom game, X-Men: Children of the Atom, was last December, since it came out in Japanese arcade at the very end of 1994, but 1995 marks when the world at large first played COTA, so 2020 is the perfect year to collection all of these games. In that case, I'm guessing that such a collection would have COTA, Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, MSH vs SF, MvC1, MvC2... & might as well just toss in The Punisher, too, since that was also an arcade game (& was included in one of the Arcade1Up cabs).

I'm OK if this winds up not happening, but it just feels too perfect to NOT happen, at this point.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
-W101: Ah, nice to see this getting a second lease on life (and yes, I wouldn't be surprised if Kamiya is not happy at MS). Now all we need is Fatal Frame, Xenoblade X, and Super Mario 3D World.

-EVO 2020: I'm all for retro entries; like maybe have some KOF '98 or '02 entries.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The most one can expect is a re-release of old MVC games. No one is touching the license after Infinite and its awful story.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The most one can expect is a re-release of old MVC games. No one is touching the license after Infinite and its awful story.

I don't know if it'll happen this year, but I seriously doubt Infinite is going to be the last new MvC game ever.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I got blocked by Kamiya years back and I have no idea why because I never interacted with him. I assume I got caught up in some block chain or something.

Anyway I hope the new DQ game comes to the west. I've played a few of them already (including DQ Walk, which I played recently in Japan! It was nice being able to play it where it works properly, as prior to that I was playing it in Aus where nothing happened and where I was too underleveled to take on any bosses).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
No one is touching the license after Infinite and its awful story.

MvC2 had a number of issues and had no story and yet we eventually got MvC3......it took 10 years but still.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, I should mention -- Granblue Fantasy Versus finally has a US release date: March 3rd! It's out in Japan already, but if you want the most out of the RPG mode you'll probably want it in English
Well, except the fact that basically any SEA/Taiwanese/Korean copy of the game that already available still have English, and for hilarity - even the dual-audio for choice.

Why actually XSEED only release it after whole month, that's another question.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Will this be the year I try to run a Fighting Vipers 2 side tournament finally? Hmmm….

I'd be all over this if I was there and saw this happening Laughing
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:25 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Quote:
Oh, I should mention -- Granblue Fantasy Versus finally has a US release date: March 3rd! It's out in Japan already, but if you want the most out of the RPG mode you'll probably want it in English
Well, except the fact that basically any SEA/Taiwanese/Korean copy of the game that already available still have English, and for hilarity - even the dual-audio for choice.

Why actually XSEED only release it after whole month, that's another question.

Even Marvelous is going the hilarious route with this. I know they're gonna have like 5 or 6 different languages in the game but their "We're aiming for a Q1 release but we got no date, wait for the upcoming weeks for more info" is just stupid.

https://twitter.com/marvelous_games/status/1227941574052585472
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1