• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:10 am Reply with quote
^ Pretty sure it's a bot.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:56 am Reply with quote
In our dystopian future, they say including you in their training set is highest form of robot flattery.

Everlasting Coconut:

Mm, I agree with all of that; my goal isn't to make the sacrifice feel artificial or cheap. Mirio could have finished clobbering Overhaul while de-powered, instead (he was pretty close to pulling this off as is!), and it have taken a season or so for Eri to figure her powers out sufficiently to re-power him, or some such. That would seem to achieve both goals.

An aside: I'm not sure how to fit it into my little alternative timeline, here, but it would be curious if Deku were to lose his powers for an extended period of time (I suppose this is still possible in future arcs, given Shigaraki and the Shigarettes managed to collect several of the completed Eri-bullets). Would be much harder to write the next arc with a de-powered lead, though.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
I also wasn't a fan of the Hassaikai. I liked Chisaki, but his goons were pretty forgettable. They pale in comparison to the much more fun and colourful League of Villains Razz

They mainly felt like a series of mini-bosses leading up to Chisaki; most of them appeared just for this one battle, and seemed as disposable as their boss treats them. Those face-obscuring plague-mask things most of them wear didn't help.

Mirio probably will end up getting his Quirk back eventually, since there's such an obvious way for it to happen, though strictly speaking he might not need it. Hatsume already showed us back in the tournament arc that purely-gadget-powered Batman superheroics is viable in this universe, and Mirio's got plenty of martial-arts skill to back up tech augmentations.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
After being disappointed by the Chisaki arc I hope a school festival will help us get back in touch with characters and appreciate developing hero personalities again. Deku just isn't doing it for me anymore, and in fact, I have become more interested in how Bakugo and Todoroki develop as heroes.

It would be really cool to see Todoroki confront Endeavor as the #1 hero. We have yet to see how Endeavor perceives his status as #1. Will Endeavor shift to becoming a beacon of hope or will he focus on instilling fear? Or both? Should be interesting if the writers focus on character development more than they do action. I think I dislike the Chisaki arc because none of the characters seemed to be developing more based on their experiences.

The new intro song is not a great start. It has a nice mood, but not a great tune.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Ep80- FINALLY, some "love" for Aoyama!! And it's not him being gay either...Does he qualify as a "twink" (since, you know, he twinkles)?
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Endeavor's redemption arc:

spoiler[It is one of the best-handled redemptions I've ever seen for a character who was once one of the most despicable character in the series.] Looking forward to seeing it adapted in the anime.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Aoyama proves surprisingly observant, revealing that he recognizes Deku's body isn't meant to handle the quirk it possesses"

This part fell flat to me. Is it really that observant? Doesn't basically everyone in Class 1A know that Deku's body struggles with his quirk? Not to mention most people who have seen him in action? It's exceedingly obvious.

It's why I left the episode largely disappointed. I like Aoyoma. And I like the idea of him being surprisingly observant (his scene with Ochako where he correctly deduced her crush was great). It just didn't work here though. His actions make no sense (the balcony message) unless he actually knew something of note. He did not.

Before Aoyoma's reveal at the end I was pretty excited to see him figure out at least some part of Deku's deal. I think it would be great if Deku had a friend he could talk to. Someone who is keyed in with what he's going through. Bakugo knows, but he can't fill that role.

It's cool that they'll be better friends from here on out. But maybe don't bait and switch the audience with a big, fat nothing that doesn't make sense in order to make it happen.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:24 am Reply with quote
I got two things from it. There's a difference between being "incompatible" with your Quirk, and lacking control over it. I think to everyone else, it looks like Deku just lacks control, the way Mirio did as a child, when he kept flubbing up phasing through objects and risked actually dying until he could learn control. Deku's Quirk is so powerful that it harms him when he can't control it. But to Aoyama, it looks like it's not just about control, but about the Quirk being intrinsically harmful to Deku. Even when controlled, Aoyama's Quirk makes him physically ill when he uses it. So he assumes it's the same for Deku, that it will always hurt him, even after he learns better control.

The other thing is that, despite his weird approach, Aoyama was looking for a friend who could understand what he himself was going through, and thought Deku could be such. I think it's telling that his overtures were food-based, since, at least as far as anime tropes go, eating with others is a really big deal in Japan, food tastes better with friends and all that stuff, so his exile from that social activity due to his fragile stomach is especially painful to him, despite his ever-present smile.

So weirdness aside, I thought it did make sense. To me the main bait-and-switch wasn't so much in Aoyama's actions as it was in Deku's ominous narration about him revealing his true colors. That was unnecessary.

Anyway, I adore Aoyama for reasons I don't understand, so any episode where he gets to twinkle is fine by me. Wink

Btw, for those who didn't catch it, what Aoyama carved in the rock was, "il n'est pire eau que l'eau qui dort," (no water is worse than quiet water) or the equivalent of "still waters run deep." The English version has somehow taken on a meaning of quiet people having unsuspected depth, in a positive sense, but the original meaning had more to do with the dangers of deep water currents, and the hidden treachery of people who appear benign. Not sure if that might be hinting that Deku's "true colors" comment is more on the mark than it appears. Or it could just be Aoyama using the saying in the more benign modern usage, I hope... (I'll be terribly distraught if they turn Aoyama into a villain)
Jinbeizaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Endeavor's redemption arc is at its premise and you anime only guys are not ready for it. It's one of the best redemptions I have ever seen very real and well-paced, Endeavor is the most developed character in this show resulting in him being the best <3 All those haters aren't ready for it and are going to have a hard time still hating on that guy. Bones did well animating that Remedial Arc and I can't wait for the Festival one next~
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Nick has read/reads the manga and there's no reason we need to have the Endeavor discussion in advance. Whenever it happens in the anime Nick will make his opinions known here, and we can all bitch about it regardless of how he feels, because there's no correct answer Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:01 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
...Btw, for those who didn't catch it, what Aoyama carved in the rock was, "il n'est pire eau que l'eau qui dort," (no water is worse than quiet water) or the equivalent of "still waters run deep." ...(I'll be terribly distraught if they turn Aoyama into a villain)
Very interesting, I couldn't read what he carved at all...But IMO there is no way he will be a villain as what scant little we have seen of him seems to belie a sensitive, gentle and caring nature, good humor and optimism which all seem genuine. Bakugo, on the other hand, already has the mindset of a villain and bully so I haven't been able to find his supposed "heroic" aspirations believable in the slightest.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:38 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
...Btw, for those who didn't catch it, what Aoyama carved in the rock was, "il n'est pire eau que l'eau qui dort," (no water is worse than quiet water) or the equivalent of "still waters run deep." ...(I'll be terribly distraught if they turn Aoyama into a villain)
Very interesting, I couldn't read what he carved at all...But IMO there is no way he will be a villain as what scant little we have seen of him seems to belie a sensitive, gentle and caring nature, good humor and optimism which all seem genuine. Bakugo, on the other hand, already has the mindset of a villain and bully so I haven't been able to find his supposed "heroic" aspirations believable in the slightest.

He does not have the mindset of a villain.

Sure he’s a total asshole but villain no.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
He does not have the mindset of a villain....Sure he’s a total asshole but villain no.
Respectfully, what makes a "real asshole" is what makes a villain IMO.
Would be interested in your view on how the two are different...
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:17 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
He does not have the mindset of a villain....Sure he’s a total asshole but villain no.

I think Bakogo would view becoming a villain as an admission of failure. I hate the character and want to see some powerless person humiliate him in some way (Maybe Mirio can do something here) but I think his future is more like the next Endeavor more than anything else - unless part of Endeavor's potential redemption arc is to wake ExplodyTwit up to the path he is on.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:51 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

By the manga’s own standards of what’s a hero then no he’s still not a villain.

Even then being an asshole doesn’t make you a villain. A real villain commits crimes, he steals, he murders, he does all sorts of horrible things that make him ergo a criminal with no desire to do anything right. Villains are people like Overhaul, Shigaraki, Stain, Dabi, All For One, people who actually do horrible shit.

And here’s the thing, Bakugo has not bullied Deku since the start of the manga. Yes the bullying was bad at the first episode & he was brutal during that first training exercise but since then he has not actually done anything major to him besides arguing with him which he does to everyone. He has no done anything to constitute being a villain nor does he want to.

Asshole he may be but he is committed to being a hero. He has never expressed any desire to go rogue or anything of that nature unlike Shigaraki or Overhaul.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 66 of 81