• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
I hate dead mom trope at all and it's getting more repeated all over and over again. It feels like anime and manga prefers fathers over mothers and then kill off moms but let dads live. It's kinda sexist and so cliche.
Sky Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
Furwerk studios wrote:
6. This has to be the biggest one, not everything from the West is a Cascades of golden wonderfulness that dazzles the mind.

Damn right, and damn straight; too much of current Western (American) animation, IMHO, is composed of talking animal movies instead of movies with human beings in them (
Sing and Zootopia, I'm looking at you!) NOBODY in (North) America (with exceptions from one particular studio ) wants to make animation that's like what's in Japan; it seems to be this kind of stuff and nothing else (Sausage Party wasn't 'adult', it was just a completely long dire sublimated dick and pussy joke.) I would love to see a (North) American studio make something like Panty & Stocking With Garter-belt, anything like the works of Satoshi Kon, Osamu Tezuka's Cleopatra, Axis Powers Hetalia, or anything else that's NOT on movie screens now.

A while back, Gainax visited Pixar; I'd like to see the reverse, and with the Pixar people learning how to make movies about subjects other than what they usually do in an adult bent so that people here in (North) America can see a (North) American animated movie with an adult story line made by a (North) American studio. We did this before (Heavy Traffic, Fritz The Cat, [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonskin_(film)]Coonskin[/url]-controversial though it was, Heavy Metal, Rock & Rule, Starchaser: The Legend of Orin, Titan AE, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within), we can do it again.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Anime is a brand. Who cares where it is made from? Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWccr1r-H0E

This is by far the most intellectual view on the "What is anime" question, and quite frankly, I like how Gigguk presented it.
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:02 am Reply with quote
Anime should be about fun and enjoyment first and foremost, not about "intellectual" or philosophical merit.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
But intellectual and philosophical themes make anime fun and enjoyable. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
(Edit: darn, organizing all this blather let somebody beat me to it. Oh well. )

Truly great art can be fun and thoughtful at the same time. Anime can do that. It is just extremely rare.

That said, attempts to "stick the landing grease smooth perfect" lead to a lot more failures than attempts at consistent simple entertainment. I think I finish more silly shows than dramas or comedy/dramas, probably because it's just harder to make those work. ( Sorry if that's an automatic Duh for most of you. )

I can only hope that creators get enough resources to "shoot for the moon" once in a while. That was what made so many memorable 80's things happen, that and there was a wave of young talent that got money thrown at them.

Eh, just my two bits.

Millennium Actress is a personal fav for something that made me laugh and then shed a tear, and at the end left me thinking about it, at least at the level of "I just went through a thing, and I want to think about this. I need to think about this." Kemono Friends S1 was a more recent one for me, though not as powerful.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
BlackWolf26 wrote:
Anime should be about fun and enjoyment first and foremost, not about "intellectual" or philosophical merit.

There is no "should" to anime, it just is. By that I mean that each individual anime show is presented to fans both in and outside Japan as a finished object. We can like it or dislike it and discuss (often at length) what we like or dislike about it, but ultimately we have no say on what it is about.

Since most anime is a commercial product, it needs to be entertaining to at least some audience however, there is very little agreement on just what is necessary to meet that goal. Fortunately for us there are, currently, between one and two hundred shows each year and enough diversity to provide something for everyone. I suggest concentrating on those that are compatible with your own taste and ignore those that are not. The idea that all anime "should" meet some criteria of yours is tremendously self centered.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Since most anime is a commercial product, it needs to be entertaining to at least some audience however, there is very little agreement on just what is necessary to meet that goal.

I think that's simply because, like any sort of art, what is "entertaining" is entirely subjective and depends on the preferences of the individual viewer.

Quote:
Fortunately for us there are, currently, between one and two hundred shows each year and enough diversity to provide something for everyone. I suggest concentrating on those that are compatible with your own taste and ignore those that are not. The idea that all anime "should" meet some criteria of yours is tremendously self centered.

Agreed completely with the first part: there's so much out there that anyone can simply pick and choose what they like. In fact, I think that's one of the big advantages of anime compared to, say, mainstream TV or hollywood movies: those tend to be crafted a lot more for the "lowest common denominator" or for mass-market appeal, whereas anime embraces a lot of oddball niches with very little thought or effort spent on trying to shoot for universal appeal of every show. An idol show (for example) is going to be made for idol show fans, it won't be "dumbed down" to try and appeal to everybody. If idol shows are your thing then you get exactly what you want without it being watered down; if idol shows aren't your thing then maybe you watch something else...be it sports, isekai, school life, magical girl, samurai, cyberpunk, whatever...

That said, I don't take BlackWolf26's comment as being self-centered. He or she didn't specify they had to match their specific preferences. They simply said that being entertaining is more important than having intellectual merit. And I must say that I agree: if a show has intellectual merit but isn't entertaining to you, then would you ever bother to watch it? You'd never be able to appreciate the intellectual merit without some degree of entertainment motivating you to pay attention. What is entertaining or not changes for every viewer; there isn't some single gold standard that everyone has to follow.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I love the last episodes of Erased! Kind of surprised to see people knocking on them. Really loved the tensions of the characters on the last scenes and I feel there were good metaphors going on there. Like spoiler[How Satoru fell for Yashiro's trap the first time, and now Yashiro fell for Satoru's in the end.] Based on the manga knowledge, I have a good understanding of spoiler[Yashiro's] intentions and things made sense to me. Basically, I liked the second half of the show better, lol. Love character intentions like that.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:10 am Reply with quote
JoJo opinion: Part 2 is better than parts 3 and 5.

As for anime in general, I know that a lot of us got into a lot of the anime that we love today due to anime YouTubers recommending us things, but... if I'm being honest here, Baccano. Not a huge fan anymore. I still like it, but I don't know what I was thinking rating it as high as I did. It's like an 8/10 if you ask me.

More specifically though, I don't even know if Baccano is better than Durarara. Now that Durarara is finished, I think it's better than Baccano. Even if we're just comparing season 1 to Baccano, I think there's a decent argument to be had that Durarara is superior. Better characters, better story, the only thing I think you could argue Baccano did better was the adaptation (music, direction of scenes, etc.).
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:27 am Reply with quote
I think Grimgar is overrated and did not like it myself. I don’t think it was well written and I personally felt it pulled a lot of punches wrt the female characters, which presented a contradiction to the serious scenario/themes it was trying to present. The pacing was horrible and it really sucked the life out of the series.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm tired of isekai titles.

In some ways I think it may not be an unpopular opinion given sales for such titles, and the plethora that come out every season, but all the same I am done. They just are so derivative anymore. Not to mention the titles just made me groan and shake my head. I haven't been this "done" with a genre/sub-genre of anime since the moe craze. It's not even that I dislike all the isekai shows, there's just too many now.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I think Grimgar is overrated and did not like it myself. I don’t think it was well written and I personally felt it pulled a lot of punches wrt the female characters, which presented a contradiction to the serious scenario/themes it was trying to present. The pacing was horrible and it really sucked the life out of the series.

It also refuses to deal or explain the mystery of the locals and the summoned.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:16 am Reply with quote
My big one? Shoujo > shounen.

Also, iyashikei anime are treasure. The best kind of anime is an optimistic and heartwarming shoujo series.

I believe that if everyone could appreciate series like Natsume Yuujinchou, Cardcaptor Sakura, Fruits Basket and Pretty Cure, the world would be a much better place.

Also also, the best isekai is shoujo isekai. Katarina Claes is the best isekai protagonist. Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits is also a wonderful isekai and one of my favorite anime and no one talks about it enough! It’s so good!

I like some shounen and seinen stuff too, but it’s always one that’s light or heartwarming, or cute in some way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm tired of isekai titles.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion. If I had to guess, the reason they're so successful is because it hits the teen audience just right, but it seems most adult fans have the same opinion. For every good one, there are 50-100 bad ones. I mean, what's even the best Isekai anime out there? I don't think I'd give any of them higher than a low 8/10.

Here are a few of mine.

Series with more of a focus on Comedy can be just as deep, meaningful, or long-lasting as series with a dramatic focus.

Attack on Titan season 3 is one of the best anime of the decade.

Fate/Zero is the only truly great entry in the Fate series. The rest are just varying between terrible and 'pretty good.'

The Tsukihime anime wasn't that bad. Honestly, for a VN based anime that decided to go the 'lets try mixing every route together' option, I've seen far worse.

Fate/Stay Night 2006 isn't that bad. In particular, the second half is actually pretty good.

Enjoying moe, loli fanservice, or whatever tickles your fancy is perfectly fine so long as you can separate fiction from reality.

K-On didn't "ruin anime" for years to come.

On that note, anime was never ruined to begin with. Just because you see more shows about a niche you're not into, that doesn't mean the things you enjoy in anime ever stopped being made. If you ignore the things you don't like and focus on finding the things you do on MAL's seasonal charts, you'll find more anime of your particular tastes being made.

Armin isn't an annoying, whiny coward. I don't even understand how this opinion sprung about, but anyone who knows that they're weak and joins a military force against giant monsters anyway is ANYTHING but a coward if they stick with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 75 of 84