• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haikyu!! To The Top

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:12 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
I feel like he should be a mix of the two. Know when to relent, but also push his teammates to be better and hit his harder tosses. They might be harder to hit, but they're also harder to receive on the other side.

If it's harder for the spiker to hit it, it's going to be easier for the other team to receive it. If Kageyama can put the ball in the perfect position for the spiker, the spiker can more easily make his own adjustments to slam it where he wants to, rather than wasting half his effort on just trying to get to the toss.
Clodus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If it's harder for the spiker to hit it, it's going to be easier for the other team to receive it. If Kageyama can put the ball in the perfect position for the spiker, the spiker can more easily make his own adjustments to slam it where he wants to, rather than wasting half his effort on just trying to get to the toss.

Thats not necessarily true. You remember when Oikawa was training with Kindaichi and Kindaichi said that the ball was hard to hit but Oikawa tells him to keep trying because his true hit zone is about one ball length away. Thats something even the spiker himself didn't realize. The ability to bring out the best out of each spiker is the setters job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:39 am Reply with quote
I get what you're saying, but I'll stand by what Ukai quoted from his grandfather: "Nothing beats a set that's easy for the spiker to hit."
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:06 am Reply with quote
Being a manga reader I'm enjoying this new season although I have to say I think the manga covered it better. Trying to cram so much into each episode means they have to make choices but overall I'd say they picked up on the most important parts.

I'm not a fan of the new designs really, I thought the previous ones were fine, maybe it's just because I'm so used to them and I'll adapt eventually.

I think Kageyama picked up on that comment about Tsukki as those two have never got on since the beginning and Tsukki used to be pretty lazy in his approach to practice. We'll see a change in the future.

I'm looking forward to seeing just how much of the story they put into these upcoming episodes, the practice and particularly the tournament matches were amazing to read and I really hope they don't stint out and cut them too short.
HKiyama

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the practice game against Date Tech (minus that earworm of a chant, thank goodness)

First of all, "GO GO LET'S GO LET'S GO DATEKO!" is iconic.
Second of all, it's a practice match; of course they wouldn't have the cheer squad come with them.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:49 am Reply with quote
HKiyama wrote:

Second of all, it's a practice match; of course they wouldn't have the cheer squad come with them.

I know, I was making a (lame) joke. Smile I hear their chant in my head every single time someone mentions the school! (And sometimes just randomly? I may have a problem.)
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
HKiyama wrote:

I know, I was making a (lame) joke. Smile I hear their chant in my head every single time someone mentions the school! (And sometimes just randomly? I may have a problem.)

Now all I can picture is the cheer squad following the team around everywhere they go in daily life: the Date boys go into a ramen shop and the cheer squad chants their support as the boys try to decide what to order. Very Happy Laughing Razz
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I recently heard the Date cheer in another anime with another school name. I think it was in Try Knights, but I'm not sure (and I'm not wading into that mess again to find out). I just remember it jerking me bolt upright when I heard it, and I had to pause and go find the Date cheer on YT to compare and confirm I wasn't imagining it. Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:07 am Reply with quote
It's so nice to see them all playing together again! But while I'm mostly used to the new designs, I'm never going to forgive them for what they've done to poor Asahi. Because they're too lazy to draw his hairline properly, it looks like they threw a bad wig on his head, one discarded by Trump's stylist. It's like he was drop-shipped in from a Saturday morning cartoon. He just doesn't look like an anime character anymore.

... ... ...

People say these designs look more like the manga, but no, he does not look like that in the manga images I've seen. I feel like crying every time he's on screen now. Sad
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:08 am Reply with quote
^ Okay, I will totally give you that. Poor Asahi deserves better than he's been getting design-wise. (And I also don't like the way the feather-haired lens-eyed guy from Kageyama's camp translated. Seriously creepy. And yes, I will try to remember his name by the time he comes in, assuming we get that far.)

There are a lot of jokes in the manga about how he spoiler[looks like he maybe killed someone with his bare hands], but even that doesn't really explain his "redesign" adequately.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Something that felt really off to me about this episode was when they showed the highlight video of the team and used footage from the previous season. It really showed off the difference in the art style that was used and is used now. It really through me off for the rest of the episode. I dont really like the new art style, but i dont hate it either. I think it gets the job done, but seeing it next to the old one I couldn't help but think the rest of the episode I wish the old style was back. Did anyone else have that same jarring effect from the episode after seeing the highlight video?
simona.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:55 am Reply with quote
I think this season has also a direction problem - or lack of thereof.
Not so notable in this episode, but the previous ones had a much worse narrative and action flow and scene coordination than the previous 3 series, I feel.
I hope they get their act together and make a better job as the story progresses.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:45 am Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Did anyone else have that same jarring effect from the episode after seeing the highlight video?

::waves hands wildly in the air::

Watching that I was thinking someone was either blind or had massive balls to use that beautiful old footage next to what's being served up now. (Yes, I am bitter)
timber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, there are some very noticeable artistic issues here.

Yeh, right from the start of the episode I let out a "Oh, f*ck" and as others in the forum signaled, the usage of footage from previous seasons make it very obvious.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
I have to agree about the new designs, I've tried getting used to it (not as if we have a choice) but I really don't like it. I think Suga's design looks terrible and another one that's really noticeable is Hinata's eyes. It's even more jarring as the anime has featured on those alot as Hinata observes and tracks what others are doing, especially in the early episodes of this arc. I'm hoping things improve or they revert back to the old ones in future arcs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4