• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else noticed in the subtitles that at the end of each episode when they have that text chat that the subtitles will sometimes skip over a few lines here and there? Makes for a jarring experience and wanted to k ow if anyone had found a workaround?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
^
I haven't noticed any skips. I have sometimes had to make multiple attempts to get the pauses just right to read everything, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Based on the opener, the series seems to be going exactly where it was supposed to as it ends showing Maple with the party assembled at the "tree house" and the members get a chuckle out of her tripping. Though being at Ep6 I'd hate to think the latter half of the show would have nothing more than adding a possible antagonist and another party member...
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:58 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Has anyone else noticed in the subtitles that at the end of each episode when they have that text chat that the subtitles will sometimes skip over a few lines here and there? Makes for a jarring experience and wanted to know if anyone had found a workaround?
The pace is jarring, I just been spamming pause to read the english subtitles.

I didn't notice missing lines... but I did notice that the Episode 6 group chat Kuromu at 133 called out Sally by her real life name Risa in the english sub Embarassed
Her nickname Sally (サリー) is a anagram of her real name Risa (リサ), so I think they may be struggling with the big wall of text.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
I haven't noticed any skips. I have sometimes had to make multiple attempts to get the pauses just right to read everything, however.

I got tired of trying to read them. I already go through this Pausing nonsense with Eizouken, I refuse to do it with the laid back show. I’m not missing any random info dumps am I?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^

I definitely do the quick pauses as well but it will literally go from like line 567 to line 569 ( not sure of the exact numbers so dont quote that)

I'll list some examples this evening when I get home.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:30 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Key wrote:
^

I got tired of trying to read them. I already go through this Pausing nonsense with Eizouken, I refuse to do it with the laid back show. I’m not missing any random info dumps am I?

I wouldnt say its detrimental to know but it's more like conversations talking about maples rise to stardom as she gets crazier and crazier (essentially a fan following if you will)
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Key wrote:
^

I definitely do the quick pauses as well but it will literally go from like line 567 to line 569 ( not sure of the exact numbers so dont quote that)

I'll list some examples this evening when I get home.

Examples from episode 6 for the subs include missing translations for lines 126-127, 130-131, 133-135, and line 139. Are those specific ones missing for anyone else?

Episode 7 is missing line 159, 161, 163-164,

Episode 4 is missing lines 552-553, 556.

Episode 2 is missing lines 544-545, 557.

Episode 1 is missing lines 244-245, 247, 249, 251, 253, and 255.

Interestingly enough the dub actually seems to fix all the issues of the missing translations if anyone's curious.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
I couldn't help finding the NPC carrying on with her preset conditions and lines despite what was actually happening pretty funny Laughing
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:46 am Reply with quote
BOFURI is so fun. I wish we could get more seasons.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
...Some hilariously game-breaking stuff is always going to be in there, and some of it can take months if not years for someone to stumble across...And that's not getting into how an adjustment to the mechanics of one thing to fix one game-breaker can cause another...
steelmirror wrote:
For me, personally, I can suspend my disbelief enough to buy that the game was broken on release (as games often are), and Maple was the only player stupid enough to accidentally break the system....It is very clearly a comedy based on exaggerated experiences of playing a game like this.
After this week's Ep I was thinking Maple was a great example of one way a beta tester should be relative to how some so-called beta testers work. Some devs tell testers to "play the game as an average player would" and some beta testers purposely don't try to break a game because that can piss off the devs and lessen their chance of being paid to test the next game. Apparently the in-show game devs had one of these two scenarios happen because with Maple not playing as a knowledgeable gamer would, the result keeps showing how subtly broken the game is. It seems a little unfair to be dunking on her as being "stupid" because in real life gaming, there is always some percentage of players who do things to see what happens and it's the devs' job to check that the result isn't a big problem.

As a former UI software programmer, a tried and true technique is the "monkey test" where the tester purposely does things out of normal order or that shouldn't be allowed or that wouldn't be expected (button mashing) to flush out unforseen code holes. At the system level, testers should think when they test, try things in combinations to see if they can get an unfair advantage due to the structure of the gameplay, cause other players mayhem, screw with the NPCs or stats. My favorite example was something my daughter did to a fairly famous game where you could learn a magic fire spell and apply that to a certain ubiquitous NPC type that she found wouldn't die from that and the fire would never go out as long as the character lived. The NPCs would run around randomly when on fire as if in pain which resulted in the whole game world eventually catching fire.

I have gotten much joy watching Maple simple-mindedly going about her business and how much consternation that creates for the mods/devs. Serves them right for not doing the beta testing better...
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
After this week's Ep I was thinking Maple was a great example of one way a beta tester should be relative to how some so-called beta testers work. Some devs tell testers to "play the game as an average player would" and some beta testers purposely don't try to break a game because that can piss off the devs and lessen their chance of being paid to test the next game.

It's not an entirely unreasonable logic behind testing based on how people would normally play the game or use the software in question... it's just unfortunately out of step with how things go in reality. Some people use it wrong accidentally because they're idiots, and some deliberately in order to take advantage or for the fun of it, and there is overlap.
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
It seems a little unfair to be dunking on her as being "stupid" because in real life gaming, there is always some percentage of players who do things to see what happens and it's the devs' job to check that the result isn't a big problem.

It is unfair to dunk on Maple as being stupid. At worst, she's maybe a little bit ditzy. What she is, at least to begin with, is basically completely unfamiliar with how video games are supposed to work, so in ignorance she takes actions that A) no-one else would have, and B) devs don't see coming.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:33 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
It is unfair to dunk on Maple as being stupid. At worst, she's maybe a little bit ditzy. What she is, at least to begin with, is basically completely unfamiliar with how video games are supposed to work, so in ignorance she takes actions that A) no-one else would have, and B) devs don't see coming.

I don't think "Testing" would solve the "games" premise where people get awarded bonus unknown abilities/gear by meeting unlisted challenges. Those little GM creatures seem stuck with their design or want the game to continue as "working as intended".

Maple is not stupid, just a friendly noob who got lucky and learnt from it and may be the smartest player in game because the way she plays gets results. She would only be dumb if she kept dying and getting nothing but repair bills, and her guild mates have learnt from her and started getting OP abilites/gear too.

If their was an achievement guide that listed all the rewards for first kill, solo kill, speed runs etc... everyone would of been doing what Maple has been.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Definitely of the same mind as Chris after watching episode 8: what Maple does in this episode would be eye-rollingly obnoxious if she or the series took it even slightly more seriously. The show works both because of that and because of the cheerfully oblivious way that Maple plays. Besides, it's hard not to giggle over the ball of wool thing, Maple eating a monster from the inside, or the way she still talks and acts like Maple even in demonic beast form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
That final boss encounter in Episode 8.... that was surprisingly awesome as just action-based spectacle goes, and is even better just knowing the show this was all happening in. With so few episodes left, I'm hoping this only get better Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5