• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index III part 1 BR/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:18 am Reply with quote
Index III is one of the worst anime series I have ever watched; easily a D grade. The first two seasons are mediocre, but season three sank to unimaginable lows. I continue to be amazed as to how Railgun is so much better written and charming than the main series.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
I've been thinking a lot more about one particular passage from Theron's review:

Quote:
The series brings back ITEM, the female quartet which first appeared in Railgun S, and their affiliated servant Shiage Hamazura (who first appeared in the last episode of Index II); the latter gets some focus attention in a couple of episodes of this part but will be much more important in the second half. It also introduces BLOCK, SCHOOL, MEMBER, and GROUP, leaving one to wonder if original writer Kazumi Komachi wasn't playing some kind of word game here.

One of the things I thought was really cool about the way the Battle Royale Arc was presented in the light novels was that every chapter was bookended by images that were heavily implied to be status reports displayed on one or more of these organizations' handlers' monitors.

e.g. -

GROUP, SCHOOL, BLOCK, ITEM, MEMBER... as the battle royale goes on, the lights on the monitor start to go out, one by one. The person sitting at the monitor might see these lights in terms of their place within the broader struggle to control the fate of Academy City. They represent the "members" of "groups", "blocks" of strategic assets, and "schools" that turn out super-powered operatives that can be deployed as pawns/"items". (It's a little wonky, but English isn't the author's first language, so I'm willing to cut him a break here.)

This, then, is how we're supposed to think that the "higher ups" in Academy City view the protagonists. It is from this framework, this way of viewing human life, that GROUP and ITEM are struggling to break free, all hoping to grasp hold of and shape their own destinies. Going into this arc, we already had a number of reasons to care about each of GROUP's members, but what did we know about ITEM? Here's one case where the anime adaptations of Index and Railgun significantly differ from the source material!

Anime viewers who have previously seen Railgun S will already be familiar with ITEM going into Index Season III, but way back in 2008, the ITEM girls wouldn't end up making their first appearances in the Railgun manga until six months after the Battle Royale arc had been published as the 15th Index light novel. The Railgun anime adaptation did a fantastic job covering for the fact that manga readers would have already known who each of these characters were: in addition to squeezing every bit of character development they could out of the manga (the scene where Frenda and Kuroko loudly compare their respective Level 5s is from a 4koma!) the animation team gave their introductory Railgun appearances plenty of time to breath, and made the audience want to know more about each of the girls and their respective backstories.

Without the context of their Railgun appearances, the light novels heavily relied on Hamazura's internal narratives in order to give the readers the distinct impression that each of the ITEM girls were some different mixture of antagonistic and charming. The readers' first impressions of the ITEM girls were that they were Hamazura's unwanted, belligerent, and "bratty" harem (much later, during the New Testament novels, the girls would eventually come to form the core of spoiler["The Hamazura Brigade"]). It was through Hamazura's eyes and within Hamazura's thoughts that readers got a handle on who these girls were and how they interacted with one another.

(As a side note: several years later, NisioIsin's "second season" Monogatari novels would play around with the idea that you can't always trust your light novel harem lead to accurately understand the relationships between his growing gaggle of love interests.)

I find it really interesting, then, that anime-only viewers were first introduced to each of these characters outside of the context of their constantly-beleaguered male compatriot's impressions of their personalities.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:49 am Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
I wouldn't have trepidation about a New Testament adaptation if it can be somewhat assured the pacing would be better and to wash the overall bad taste of the anime adaptation of the final stretch of the original novel series out of my mouth.

Problem there is that I doubt they have the balls to end in the middle of the Gremlin arc. If they would stop at NT6 or so then pacing should be fine with a decent director to keep it together. That just isn't a natural stopping point.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
My gosh, I wonder how short the review would be if you took out all of the proper nouns. After watching Index II and following adaptations of a few of the spin-off series, I don't remember the series being this intimidating.
RoamFree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:33 am Reply with quote
2015 was the year I went through the RailDex anime adaptations in the order they were originally broadcast, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Related note, I checked out the author's other creation Heavy Object and had a fun time with it (Hoping for a S2 of it after Index III happened). After finishing Index II, I decided to read the original light novels, and was surprised by how much was left out (I stopped on Volume 7 where the various Churches get involved). Reading this review and the various problems that almost everyone here has brought to life about this adaptation and the previous Index seasons, I'll still enjoy watching the first two Index seasons for what they are whenever I get the chance, and call me a completionist but I am going to check out Index III when I get a hold of both parts of that season on home video (or have them all in one case like previous RailDex releases). Then Accelerator and Railgun S will follow soon.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:47 am Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
Theron, I'm amazed you subjected yourself to this disaster for a second time.

You're absolutely right that the big issue for the Index anime is pacing and lack of explanation to flesh out what the hell is going on. Its a problem that'll continue to get worse as the average length of an Index novel has been increasing with time. I can only say that whoever decided to squeeze the entire God's Right Seat Arc into just 26 episodes committed a willful act of sabotage to this franchise (here's looking at you Project INDEX . Evil or Very Mad ). Add to that the inevitable problems of adapting a light novel to begin with, JC Staff's horrendous production schedule and Nishikiori's bland direction.

The first scene in Episode 1 was Kamijou awkwardly walking into Index showering. By this time in the novels this kind of cheap fanservice was essentially eliminated (to be fair it might have been after the Aqua arc but I digress). Completely emblematic of the mindset of the production considering they wasted precious time on that.

Here's looking to Railgun T to save the franchise again.

the author stated that Kadokawa is the one who wanted the anime studio to rush the season into 24 episodes and the director asked for more episodes but they gave him only 2 additional episodes
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Stiles wrote:
I'll keep this short and say that the God's Right Seat arc needed four cours, not two, and that is Index III's biggest problem. I suspect that Index suffered for the sake of both Accelerator and Railgun, which received three cours total, although there's certainly no proof or guarantee that Index's production budget would've been bigger without those two adaptations.

While I agree that it needed more episodes to cover that many novels, I don't think the staff could have delivered even with double the episodes. If they ever adapt New Testament, I hope they replace the director.

Also, if Railgun gets a bigger budget, it is probably because it sells more. Even if Railgun wasn't getting a 3rd season, there is no real reason to expect Index to have gotten more. Of course budget isn't everything in the first place.

Kisuke525 wrote:
I say it all the time but if the adaptation didn't suck I truly believe that the majority of anime only people would greatly prefer it over Railgun, which a lot of the time feels like nothing but Misaka fanservice "I still love it though" and nothing more than a side dish to Index.

It kind of is a side dish considering all of the main character's biggest developments happen in the Index novels... though spoiler[god she got shafted in the recent one.]

the director wasn't really the problem it was the schedule and also to keep in mind the director was busy with working on 2 movies with Index III at the same time you guys are just mean with the wrong person lmao
also adapting light novel isn't an easy task as you see i bet even Nagi is good with adapting manga only but he'll struggle like Hiroshi struggled too if he was adapting light novels
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:08 pm Reply with quote
#897978 wrote:
the director wasn't really the problem it was the schedule and also to keep in mind the director was busy with working on 2 movies with Index III at the same time you guys are just mean with the wrong person lmao
also adapting light novel isn't an easy task as you see i bet even Nagi is good with adapting manga only but he'll struggle like Hiroshi struggled too if he was adapting light novels

Oh, and I suppose he had the same problem during the second season too? Because that suffered greatly for a lot of the same reasons... it just wasn't the total train wreck of S3. Plenty of other light novels get good anime adaptations. That isn't a valid excuse.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:25 pm Reply with quote
At least this wasn't as much of a complete trainwreck as Shana III was. That's about the only thing positive I can say about it. Railgun T's first 6 episodes have delivered far more than anything I got from watching this.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
At least this wasn't as much of a complete trainwreck as Shana III was. That's about the only thing positive I can say about it. Railgun T's first 6 episodes have delivered far more than anything I got from watching this.

I could tell Shana 3 had skipped a good amount, but I liked that season, at least enough to buy it on bluray. I definitely can't say the same for Index 3.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, despite how much it obviously cut out, Shana III was what convinced me to go back and buy Blurays of the whole thing.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:09 am Reply with quote
#897978 wrote:
the author stated that Kadokawa is the one who wanted the anime studio to rush the season into 24 episodes and the director asked for more episodes but they gave him only 2 additional episodes

Project Index is synonymous with Kadokawa but in reality its the whole production committee that was managing the whole thing that screwed it up for everyone.

#897978 wrote:

There's a lot of blame to go around and its not solely Nishikiori's fault. But there's no way he's getting off scot free for this. There are clear directorial decisions he made that completely ruined moments from the source material. Everyone's to blame.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:36 am Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
There's a lot of blame to go around and its not solely Nishikiori's fault. But there's no way he's getting off scot free for this. There are clear directorial decisions he made that completely ruined moments from the source material. Everyone's to blame.

Right. Just like a good director doesn't automatically get you a good series, a bad one doesn't automatically result in something on the level of Index 3. There are a lot of people involved. The director is just the low hanging fruit when they clearly shit the bed, and he did.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
#897978 wrote:

Oh, and I suppose he had the same problem during the second season too? Because that suffered greatly for a lot of the same reasons... it just wasn't the total train wreck of S3. Plenty of other light novels get good anime adaptations. That isn't a valid excuse.

index needed more episodes because it's a complicated series and kadokawa is treating it like it their other IPs (with giving the same number of episodes which isn't enough for index)

and perhaps that's the reason season 2 was rushed in some corners so with index iii it was inevitable that will be more rushed with kadokawa not giving hiroshi enough (they gave him only 2 additional episodes with the already 24 episodes imo) so how you can expect him to do better job especially with a tight schedule and J.C.Staff being in turmoil because they were handling OPM S2 in the same time index iii was airing which lead him to Improvise sometimes

so if you wanna blame someone so hard just blame kadokawa because they just care more about SAO than their other IPs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2