• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Interspecies Reviewers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
The Myconid in D&D communicate through their spores that create psychic connections, with a specific practice called "melding", where they connect their consciousness together in meditation and hallucination, you could possibly liken it to a mind orgy.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote
I wasn't surprised that Interspecies Reviewers separated cyclops and giants as its easier to build a story around a single appeal point... and right after there's the myconid story about how varied a species can be and still fall under one heading.

Yeah, I'm starting to sense that despite everything, they're building toward a moral. Wasn't it the first episode that started with the close minded argument just based on basic personal physical desirability? "This is my opinion and you are wrong" but in this episode they have to rate the first experience based on the cyclops' notion of what is attractive while in the second, their experience is tailored personally to each customer's fetish.

Bu while t I was expecting 10s, they only gave the mushroom experience 9s while their time with the cyclops got 7s which was higher. I think it shows some empathy was involved, more of a connection was made than what happened with the mushrooms.

And then there's Crim... Crim is complex. What Crim is doing is on a whole different level than the rest.I'm suspecting that with Crim, I will have to bring up the "L" word soon.... as if episode 5 didn't already hint at Cupid aspirations.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:46 am Reply with quote
It is technically a shounen manga. An Aesop wouldn’t be out of place here.
dharlow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
wants to visit, if not live in this world. Mr. Green Mr. Green
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quote
It is a weird thing to say about a show about prostitution, but I agree it's sex positive.

I think what would make it more so (and funnier) would be a female patron joining the review team, or if Crim fully, openly embraced their female side. (Haven't read the manga so no idea if that happens.)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 6;

This time, in the first half, spoiler[we have puppets, or golems(only watched the untranslated version yet), but first would likely be more correct as they're literal puppets on strings.
What's surprising our quartet gets to assemble their own, think of your typical rpg character creator(eyes, hair, body, etc). As for what they chose in the end, well, lets just say they're on the receiving end of a nuclear meltdown from our favorite bird waitress Meidr in the tavern later. Even Crim, surprisingly...]

As for the second half, spoiler[it's time for some will-o-wisps. And Crim shows he sure isn't very good with non-corporeal beings. It does introduce some quirks, like with censorship tied to the experience itself.
As for the results, well, first time I've seen Crim give someone a round zero. That aside, he sure is impressive on another arena...]
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this latest episode wasn’t as funny as the others, especially the first part.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a golem brothel.

IMO it felt more like a wooden doll workshop (the female mangager had strings like a puppet and was dragged up when she finished her explanation), kinda like if Kankuro from Naruto decided to open a brothel. Was expecting to see some flesh golemettes but alas, that would probably not be very popular (seeing how even Cream passed on the option of a "macho" doll which was clearly on display).

Quote:
seems quite anachronistic (how would people in this kind of setting even know about androids?)

I am so glad you asked, allow me to geek out. Such anachronism can be seen in the adventure module DA3 City of the Gods, published in 1987. More recently, Paizo published for Pathfinder (a D&D third edition derivative) an Adventure Path called Iron Gods and it does features androids.

So Stunk having heard androids exist in far away lands does not sound so farfetched given his noble origins. What surprised me is the android talking in a vocaloid voice, was it the real thing or just a sound alike?

I was also surprised by the obvious reference to Onna Holes; this adaption clearly intends to go where no TV broadcast has gone before!

Yeah, it is only a matter of when, not if, we start to see sex droids in real life and will all remember how we saw them here first. The only real question is who will be the first celebrity to have a non authorized sex doll.

Quote:
they get overwhelmed by the options

I can relate since I feel overwhelmed by ordering at a Subway.

IMO they guys were luck when Meidri went medieval on them, Harpies are known for ripping hearts with their sharp talons from their victims and proceed to eat them on the spot!

It was kind of fitting that Cream gave a 0 to the whole orgy concept, was half expecting to suddenly see a divine bow appear and have Cream destroy the whole brothel like Ikaros did

Quote:
The normal closer is replaced by the Light Parade

I have no idea if it is true (since I know nothing about the concept) but in another forum they called them a Main Street Electrical Parade. The only weird part is that there was no song, at least I am used to hearing a different song when they change the sequence which noways are there to help sell CD singles.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
I thought that how they did the golem reviews was hilarious. Contrasting the Meidri Golems having ideal sex with the real thing violently beating them up made for a ton of laughs. My personal feeling on sex dolls is the same with all sex toys even if they come with current level AI. If we ever invent true artificial intelligence (as in it becomes self-aware) then things get messy, but until then, sex dolls aren't fundamentally different than already existing sex toys, not that I've tried one myself.

Next episode is what I would personally consider the most extreme chapters in the manga that's to be animated, though that's definitely up to personal opinion. I would refrain from spoiler[eating eggs] before watching the next episode.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:49 am Reply with quote
The episode 6 review wrote:
]Since Crim (being an angel) can see through all of the light, their embarrassment also earns the brothel the lowest rates from Crim so far.

I wondered what you meant by that since I remembered Crim also rated the Pixie brothel zero on account of being charged for a test of whether he could even partake in said Pixies, and then ending up with not a single one. But apparently, he rated the Golem brothel zero as well, so... yeah?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:02 am Reply with quote
I too will say that I laughed at Meidri beating up all the boys, especially her essentially being a harpy meaning she did a lot with her talons. Not even Crim getting away safe, but Halfling seeming to get special focus.
bennyl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame this got dumped straight into the it's hentai bucket so quickly. It's sort of like HBO shows, you don't watch for the T&A, but you don't turn it down when it's served up for you. Probably the funniest show of the season or at least tied with scientists in love.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:39 am Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:
It's a shame this got dumped straight into the it's hentai bucket so quickly. It's sort of like HBO shows, you don't watch for the T&A, but you don't turn it down when it's served up for you. Probably the funniest show of the season or at least tied with scientists in love.

To be fair theyre only following the manga so getting straight into the hentai bucket is actually how it was done there too but the anime is obviously more extreme.

Quote:
This requires quite a bit of a fantasy lore stretch, as traditional will-o-wisps don't take human form, but the point here is instead utter abuse of the censorship that this series necessitates for meeting broadcast standards

If I were to base it on how they call the succu-girls there Spirits ("seirei" is what Stunk says) would be more accurate rather than the will-o-wisps the subs use.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 am Reply with quote
Might want to change the landing page as this is exclusively on AnimeLab now...;
Quote:
Interspecies Reviewers is currently streaming on FUNimation.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(how would people in this kind of setting even know about androids?)

automatons are as old as ancient greece, well, the origin of the word, they are actually older. You can blame it on the translation, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13