• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Astro Boy, Kimba, Princess Knight, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Nadesico Anime to

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Real shame it sounds like there hasn't been a dub rescue for the Nadesico ADV dub, I guess there must be rights issues what with the license for ADV long being expired and ADV themselves being kaput pretty much. Just glad I still have my DVDs.
loveliver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Real shame it sounds like there hasn't been a dub rescue for the Nadesico ADV dub, I guess there must be rights issues what with the license for ADV long being expired and ADV themselves being kaput pretty much. Just glad I still have my DVDs.

It will be shown on FunimationNOW dubbed. Nozomi does have the dub for their Blu-ray and DVD release.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:03 pm Reply with quote
And here I hoped for subs for Tezuka's stuff.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Funimation has been able to diversify their library to titles outside their own licensed material.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Has Nozomi done anything to clean up the video quality for Nadesico's stream? Last time I tried to stream it (either on Hulu or Netflix, can't remember) the quality was about the same as the early DVDs and a little hard to watch on an HD TV.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime Limited were supposed to be bringing Revolutionary Girl Utena to the UK on Blu-Ray, and hope Funimation streaming it in the UK hasn't put an end to that.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Anime Limited were supposed to be bringing Revolutionary Girl Utena to the UK on Blu-Ray, and hope Funimation streaming it in the UK hasn't put an end to that.

This is just part of the nozomi/funimation streaming partnership. Nozomi pretty much owns all rights to the animes (physically and digitally) and have just chosen to digitally share with funimation. Whether or not it makes it to the UK physically wont have anything to do because of funimation.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Is this the first time the Utena movie will be streaming? Nozomi has the Utena TV series streaming for free on their YouTube channel but not the movie.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Astro Boy 1963 is incredibly hard to find subbed, since Nozomi were only able to license the dub. Even via illegal means, I've only been able to find the first two and last two episodes in Japanese. I watched the first two and they were great, I'd love to see more. I'm not opposed to dubs in general, but it's a real shame that such an important work in the history of anime is not easily available for people to see in its original form.

And I know it's not just the dialog that's different - for The Soundtrack Conservatory on MAL, I watched the first episode's Beethoven scene in Japanese and in English, and at one point the English version faded the music out entirely to boost the ~cool sound effects~.

Only 104 of the show's 193 episodes were ever dubbed, so you won't find the last 89 episodes on Funimation.

https://dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Astro_Boy
Quote:
The English dub would end up being the salvaging source for the Episode "The Beast from 20 Fathoms" (Episode 34). The original Japanese negative was reportedly destroyed by Osamu Tezuka himself out of frustration with the final result of the episode. However, the episode had already been exported and dubbed for America. The Japanese soundtrack to the episode was re-synced with the footage from the English dub and marketed as "The Lost Episode".

Ha, that's a great story. @George Lucas, Tezuka did it better.

That episode title reminds me of Doctor Who's "Fury from the Deep," which is entirely lost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1