• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:15 am Reply with quote
A new living being? In the original series QB made it very clear that they consider witches and magical girls to be the exact same creature.
Amy192

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
There is more to Felicia's story than it seems/what Felicia thinks happened, she is a very different character to Kyoko

"making the characters temporarily stupid" Yachiyo literally said later in the episode that if you don't know about the rumour you will perceive it as normal

The episode wasn't wasting time, it was building the characters, which I have seen a lot of people complain about there not being enough (you lot will never be happy, you all complain when it isn't there and then complain when it is)

There is a difference between Uwasa and rumor, the physical body/familiar things of the rumor are called Uwasas
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Magius Wings. They're dedicated to letting rumors come true. Meanwhile, we have a rumor about magical girls being saved. Huh.
I wish they had toned it down with the Inu Curry aesthetic, it really made Iroha look ridiculously stupid, in-series excuse or not. (although at first I thought they were introducing a fancy game mechanic. Why else would an experience mahou shoujo mingle with obvious and "harmless" Familiars?) People gathering at a decrepit gallery was already odd enough, they could have lets the aesthetic come out as a "reveal" when they went to confront the Rumor.

#900545 wrote:
There is a difference between Uwasa and rumor, the physical body/familiar things of the rumor are called Uwasas

If you're familiar with "kai", or either of the other two shows this season dealing with them (would have been funny if we also had some Monogatari to round it up), they're exactly the same. Creatures born from rumors to make said rumors true. These Rumors might not be the literal words spoken out by people, but then again the Witches aren't women in pointy hats concocting potions and the Familiars aren't black animals, but they're similar and play with known concepts.

It's just inconsistent and not really meaningful. If you just read "We must hunt the Rumor behind this" you will get just as much information as the Japanese get with "uwasa". It is not any fancy word or name, just a pretty common term applied to something specific in the setting.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kyoko being introduced in the episode along with Felicia was done in the game as well because they were added into the gacha pool at the same time (Kyoko being the premium 4star character & Felicia the more common 2star character) so even in game it was a marketing ploy.

The main cast spoiler[(especially Mami)] will play an important part later in the story but yeah, in this early part they do feel really excessive. I wish they included the intro of game along with the intro we got to really bring some of Kuroe's lines full circle.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
A new living being? In the original series QB made it very clear that they consider witches and magical girls to be the exact same creature.

Ah, new living being as an individual. So, the mari who became magical girl mari then became a witch susan, susan is a witch that acts like she is a magical girl, but she is a witch and she is not mari anymore, to the point that susan can get a wish from qb and become a magical girl again.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Ah, new living being as an individual. So, the mari who became magical girl mari then became a witch susan, susan is a witch that acts like she is a magical girl, but she is a witch and she is not mari anymore, to the point that susan can get a wish from qb and become a magical girl again.

I get thats what you mean, but well, as far as QB is concerned "Miki Sayaka" and "Octavia von Seckendorf" are the same person at different point in time (and Rebellion kinda showed the extent of that, even if it was player for fanservice).
Spin-offs often do bend the rules, spectacularly so, but this one seems to go against the most crucial revelation in the main series in a very simple and kinda mundane way.
Also makes me think of "H.N.Elly (Kirsten)" who was a witch that wanted to go by a different (online) identity. I guess she should have gone full chuuni and want to be a mahou shoujo.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Spin-offs often do bend the rules, spectacularly so, but this one seems to go against the most crucial revelation in the main series in a very simple and kinda mundane way.

The ability to un-witch does have an explanation, and it's one of the main spoilers for the whole story. It is a game mechanic, but it's not one they just threw in for coolness.

Its first appearance--in the anime, episode 5--is a bit awkward because some, but not all, of the characters know that witchification is a thing spoiler[(Yachiyo, Tsuruno, Momoko, and Mitama know, but everyone else we've seen so far does not, except the one who I probably shouldn't draw attention to; none of the above understand what happened to Iroha, though, that's the big spoiler part)] and we have not yet been told who's in the know and who isn't. That scene makes more sense once you know those details.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

The ability to un-witch does have an explanation, and it's one of the main spoilers for the whole story. It is a game mechanic, but it's not one they just threw in for coolness.

Ah, in this case I was talking about the other spin-off, the one with the mahou shoujo turned majo turned mahou shoujo.
The whole Stand deal is a different iffy thing.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Uwasa” is just Japanese for “rumor”, for anyone who was wondering

Well sure, but were they using 'uwasa' to refer to this stuff beforehand and just now the translator caught up that it's supposed to be a Named Thing or did they specifically change terminologies?
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:
“Uwasa” is just Japanese for “rumor”, for anyone who was wondering

Well sure, but were they using 'uwasa' to refer to this stuff beforehand and just now the translator caught up that it's supposed to be a Named Thing or did they specifically change terminologies?

In previous episodes, the characters were referring to the entities causing/enforcing the rumors as "witches".

In this episode, these entities start being referred to as "uwasa" (aka "Rumors") in order to differentiate them from witches.

The anime translation is following the game's lead in leaving these specific instances of "uwasa" un-translated.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
side note the video game screen in the ep is a shot of the magia record game as a neat nod. And yea the game's cast is big and only a 3rd of them have plot import
Amy192

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote
There is a difference between Uwasa and Rumor, the physical body/familiar things of the Rumor are called Uwasas

I can't wait for the next episode, if it's done properly it will be the best so far by a big amount
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:16 pm Reply with quote
#900545 wrote:
There is a difference between Uwasa and Rumor, the physical body/familiar things of the Rumor are called Uwasasamount

And both are called exactly the same and only the localization is making a difference. Unless the game really does something like calling them 噂 and ウワサ separately.
Right now we have "rumors", "Rumors" and "Uwasa" and it feels stupid.
Amy192

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
#900545 wrote:
There is a difference between Uwasa and Rumor, the physical body/familiar things of the Rumor are called Uwasa

And both are called exactly the same and only the localization is making a difference. Unless the game really does something like calling them 噂 and ウワサ separately.

I don't know about how it's written in Japanese but in the English version of the game Uwasa and Rumor have different meanings
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I haven't played the game in either Japanese or English, but from what I've managed to gather the Japanese uses all three of 噂, うわさ and ウワサ. Not sure if the distinction is ever actually spelled out, but I've seen speculation by Japanese users that the hiragana spelling refers to the place the unsuspecting people are trapped in, while the katakana refers to the entity that controls it and needs to be defeated (i.e. the distinction between a witch's labyrinth and the witch itself). Judging by the usage on the Japanese Wikipedia page, the kanji is used just for the regular noun literally meaning "rumor".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9