• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 22/7

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I had the scratch my head why the heck they had Sakura's seiyuu Sally speak in some Engerish when we all know she can speak English clearly. C'mon, 22/7! Show off her authentic bilingual nature in her character! Confused

But yeah, her grandma backstory felt rather meh overall which disappointing since I was looking forward what interesting directions they can do with Sakura. But alas! Now, I'm a little worried how they're going to handle the other girls' backstories so they don't end up really flat as Sakura's.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:03 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one for who Sakura's story fell flat for. Dying grandparent stories are already so cliche for anime (although it makes some sense, since a lot of teenagers do have to deal with the death of their grandparents) and I never personally had a good relationship with any of my grandparents, so I can't even really relate.

I'm excited to see more about the other characters since, besides Nicole, they haven't gotten much attention at all, but it's always a bummer when my favorite character (so far at least) gets the boring character development episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I think I wanted to have reika , the "adult" one of the group (and life) act childish and unreasonable for a change; it worked for me like that.
But on the other hand I could not help but wonder what damaged akane so bad so that she is like she is.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:50 am Reply with quote
Maybe this is nitpicky, but I couldn't get over this the whole episode - Reika's mother didn't die in childbirth... it was like, Reika was already born, and both her and her mom were both having health complications, and Reika's mom was like "don't worry about me, just save my child" Like, the hospital doesn't have the resources to save them both or something?? Maybe I'm just triggered because I really despise the whole "just save my child" trope altogether, but the drama of having to choose one life or the other doesn't make sense once the baby has already been born. And then to make it ickier, in return Reika has basically had to mother her worthless father her whole life. What a noble sacrifice.

That said, I did end up really liking Reika herself by the end of the episode. I'm actually really intrigued by her ending theme - at first I was turned off by the fanservice, but then the visuals of setting all of it on fire at the end makes me wonder if the lyrics are a little bit deeper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
Saw it coming a mile away.

Stil hit like a [expletive] brick.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Man, this show can be really inconsistent with the quality of the individual girls' backstories. This week for Jun's was really rock solid despite being a predictable tragedy in the making (I actually found her trying to cover everyone particularly amusing). Yet last week's episode with Reika had a pretty off-putting message of whether she should be in her swimsuit or not.in order to support her peers which made it look like she was guilted into doing it. It's like they have different writers for each girl.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The song the girls perform this week, “Rikaisha”, is a surprisingly dark number about isolation, anxiety, and desperately looking for someone to connect to

Well, one of akimoto's early, most popular songs is sailor fuku o nugasanaide , which can be cosntructed as anything from compensated dating to rape, so.

Quote:
Being for The Benefit of Mr. Wall:

The wall is akimoto, I like the way they are doing it because having akimoto himself might be too distracting; just having a look at hot it works in akb49 convinces me of that.

Quote:
Nicole remarks early in the episode that such a girl must have some kind of “noble” reason for becoming an idol,

nothing more noble than getting a job because the work place is close to your home and also you get to do a bit of exercise, come to think of it that's big reason I got mine so I can relate.

Quote:
Given how mismatched her mother and father seemed, it would be ridiculous to say that Akane's disappearance was the sole catalyst of the divorce

yeah, being the straw that breaks the camel's back is weird.

Quote:
but the lighting, choreography, and music all come together to make for a genuinely fun show

One of the thing I search for in these kind of shows, is if the idols are not perfectly coordinated; unlike real life,a perfectly coordinated dance number screams cheap in cg anime/scenes; so I was very satisfied by all the blunders the girls made.

Quote:
Once again, though, 22/7 suffers from a lack of conflict for the group as a whole, which makes it hard to connect to the “idol” part of this idol dramedy. We haven't seen the girls in the recording booth, or watched them put together the impressive background visuals for their concerts, or practice their choreography, or do any of the dirty work that comes with being musical artists. Sure, we had Jun's manic montage from last week, and Reika's episode hammered home the importance of all the girls work and so on, but all of that feels very superficial when the audience knows that there is this omniscient entity with seemingly boundless coffers setting everything up for them. 22/7 has become quite the successful operation, yet it all feels so easy.

I think it's because akimoto has made too many "ñet's show the hard work that is behind being an idol" shows and mangas, so he wanted to focus in something else.akb49 even has the idols helping out setting the scenary, cleaning, etc...

Quote:
Why did this performance, of all things, help her break out of her shell like this?

It was their first big concert, all their previous concerts were much smaller in scale. I think that your critique is part of the reason the episode uses nicole so much, so we can also look at how exceited she is and how different this concert is from the previous ones.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that 22/7's songs in general seem to be a little on the darker side, at least in the anime, and I do appreciate the departure from typical idol fare.

I've really enjoyed all of the backstories until now - they're cliche but still executed in a way that really delivers a gut punch (save Sakura's). But I've given up on expecting any meaningful conflict in the present day sequences. It seems more like the show just wants to find excuses to showcase each idol in the present while presenting all the real drama in their backstories, instead of finding meaningful ways to tie two conflicts together.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

This one episode would have been much better, and I think that was the intention, if the onsen fight actually amounted to a fight that put the group in risk. That would have made ayaka's arc actually matter and even would have made the disbandments order feel more egregious. Right now it feels like it's a test from the wall to see how far are the girls willing to go against it's orders.

And there is somehting I have been itching to mention since the first (second) episode, the intro is so obviously shots from the final arc, where everybody has disbanded; I got reminded on that when we got the episode of the girl whose family is in the usa and only has one year to work as an idol, which I guess ties into the wall's current order.

About ayaka being a seductress, well one of her first actions is grabbing a handful of miu's ass, so there is that. Rhat ties into my headcannon if mio being a dating simulator main character.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There've been very many undertones of queer romance between Miu and the other girls, especially Sakura and Nicole, but despite the age-old soap opera trappings, I'm fairly certain Miu isn't going to end up with anyone by the time the credits roll next week

Umm, but why do you blame anime for this? Even shipping-friendly Love Live doesn't allow itself canonical romance, but for some reason you were sure that this idol show could receive some canon and now you are disappointed that it did not receive it. You can ship characters, this is entirely up to you. But scolding the anime for not satisfying your unrealistic expectations is a bit unfair, I think.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

Umm, but why do you blame anime for this? Even shipping-friendly Love Live doesn't allow itself canonical romance, but for some reason you were sure that this idol show could receive some canon and now you are disappointed that it did not receive it. You can ship characters, this is entirely up to you. But scolding the anime for not satisfying your unrealistic expectations is a bit unfair, I think.

Other akimoto shows did go the way. One creates a explicit lesbian couple ; and there is the a subtextone in other one (about as subtext as fate and nanoha).

google kai x rei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evS2Tdu1xow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jODaCafdgq8

or center and nezumi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DACF-Qk-HA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igveRyADsOA
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Other akimoto shows did go the way. One creates a explicit lesbian couple ; and there is the a subtextone in other one (about as subtext as fate and nanoha).

google kai x rei

or center and nezumi

Have you never seen idol show before and do not know by what principles they work? Regardless of actual teasing or fan talk about subtext, such titles will never have any canon, because it will prevent you from doing hype on shipping and positioning girls like waifu for everyone.

He can make some songs subtly lesbian, give girls gay jokes or ambiguous dialogs, but it will never have any canon so that the franchise can maintain the widest possible appeal. Not to mention the fact that the concept of subtext was extremely distorted by modern fandom, to the point where people simply refuse to acknowledge that symbolism in character relationships can have any purpose other than homoerotics.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

google kai x rei

or center and nezumi

Have you never seen idol show before and do not know by what principles they work? Regardless of actual teasing or fan talk about subtext, such titles will never have any canon, because it will prevent you from doing hype on shipping and positioning girls like waifu for everyone.

He can make some songs subtly lesbian, give girls gay jokes or ambiguous dialogs, but it will never have any canon so that the franchise can maintain the widest possible appeal. Not to mention the fact that the concept of subtext was extremely distorted by modern fandom, to the point where people simply refuse to acknowledge that symbolism in character relationships can have any purpose other than homoerotics.

yet I posted example of two of his shows where he does that, so what's your point ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2