• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Quintessential Quintuplets Anime's 2nd Season Premieres in October with New Director, Stud

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperRed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
How rare is it to see an anime series gets a second season after the source manga ends? Even more so if it's a romcom with a choice ending.
Sota-Son

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
SuperRed wrote:
How rare is it to see an anime series gets a second season after the source manga ends? Even more so if it's a romcom with a choice ending.

Not rare really.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
They only announced the manga was ending back in December, well after production of the anime had started. I do wonder if we'll get enough sequels to tell the story though. I'd estimate 3 or 4 more cours are needed without cutting a lot of content.

That said, I dont have much faith in this. Bibury has not proven themselves worthy to do this and this PV isn't helping with the mouths look so terrible.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
That new animation looks like CGI. A shame because the visuals in season 1 were one of its strong points.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if that teaser video is anything to go by, looks like the art/animation got downgraded from the already visually-sub-par first season.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
With a new director and a new animation studio usually the new anime season looks like crap like Bang Dream second + season and Wake Up Girls second Season or even High School D X D fourth season.
hopefully lost

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm Reply with quote
This is bad news, especially considering how terrible the characters look. The first season was mediocre already, but this is seriously worrying. These faces are awful and you can't have that in a harem anime.
Zen119

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, seeing that this will be animated by Bibury, there's a chance that it might have production problems like what happened to Azur Lane.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping for a Oregairu situation where the animation is improved but I dunno about this...

Got to see it properly in action
kyokun47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
wait, i'm having trouble seeing the issues with this.... i like the expression work? and the animation looked fine to me, too (i haven't seen the first season of this, but i've seen key art and they look comparable to me and my friends). someone mentioned that this was a downgrade like DxD S4, but i also liked that season's artwork more than the others hfjfsksjdkfjdk
Doc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I've got no problem with the animation. What confuses me is I thought that season 1 pretty much wrapped things up nicely.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Anime directors never do anything more than once, their industry is so confusing.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Doc wrote:
I've got no problem with the animation. What confuses me is I thought that season 1 pretty much wrapped things up nicely.

???

But we didn't know which girl he ended up with. I know in harem shows it's par for the course to not let the protagonist settle on one girl but the refreshing thing about the Quintuplets manga is that he actually picks one.
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Doc wrote:

Season 1 ended at chapter 32 of the manga. There are still 90 more chapters left after that, though we’ll see how far they get this time. If S2 is 12 episodes again then I expect it to leave off at chapter 68, which is another natural stopping point like 32 was. If it’s 24 episodes then I don’t know where they’ll stop.
Scoot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
kyokun47 wrote:
wait, i'm having trouble seeing the issues with this.... i like the expression work? and the animation looked fine to me, too (i haven't seen the first season of this, but i've seen key art and they look comparable to me and my friends). someone mentioned that this was a downgrade like DxD S4, but i also liked that season's artwork more than the others hfjfsksjdkfjdk

I agree. Characters look nice and clean and artstyle is really close to the manga artwork. I don't know what makes things worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2