• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In/Spectre

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:14 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Trauma inducing,

Finding out the person you have been with for four years, is a vampire or a werewolf.

She's had the double whammy, in finding out the supernatural is actually reality, and that supernatural creatures are scared of her longtime boyfriend.

Did Kuro explain how he got his powers or abilities to Saki, that might explain her meat phobia.

Really, if you quite clearly saw the Creature from the Black Lagoon in your community pond, wouldn't that be something life altering.

Maybe, but why would that make me dumb the person I was with, even if they're related to the supernatural? Like you said, I'd 100% understand if he was a vampire or werewolf, cause those have obvious downside. But Kuro is just a regular dude, he can live a completely normal, no inner demon to fight off or anything.

Heck, wouldn't that make her want to stay with Kuro more, since she know the supernatural avoid him like the plague?
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was honestly expecting this arc to wrap up this week, but I can't say I'm mad about it extending into at least one more episode.

This arc will be the rest of the season as now we're in the actual main story.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:08 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Trauma inducing,

Finding out the person you have been with for four years, is a vampire or a werewolf.

She's had the double whammy, in finding out the supernatural is actually reality, and that supernatural creatures are scared of her longtime boyfriend.

Did Kuro explain how he got his powers or abilities to Saki, that might explain her meat phobia.

Really, if you quite clearly saw the Creature from the Black Lagoon in your community pond, wouldn't that be something life altering.

Maybe, but why would that make me dumb the person I was with, even if they're related to the supernatural? Like you said, I'd 100% understand if he was a vampire or werewolf, cause those have obvious downside. But Kuro is just a regular dude, he can live a completely normal, no inner demon to fight off or anything.

Heck, wouldn't that make her want to stay with Kuro more, since she know the supernatural avoid him like the plague?

He's not exactly a "regular dude", he's very closed in himself and not-emoting type of guy, and when you combine his "unfazedness" with casually getting harmed and healing instantly, or scaring a freaking monster away and not even reacting much to it, it has much more effect on her, I think.
reaslin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was honestly expecting this arc to wrap up this week, but I can't say I'm mad about it extending into at least one more episode.

You may be in for a rough surprise, I am afraid. If the anime sticks to the manga, this arc will drag on way too long.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, no way this arc doesn’t take the season, or at least the vast bulk of it. It ran super long in the manga. I mean, I didn’t mind it because I found the climax the sort of crazy I like in my logic puzzle stories, but it hasn’t even gotten warmed up.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:59 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

He's not exactly a "regular dude", he's very closed in himself and not-emoting type of guy, and when you combine his "unfazedness" with casually getting harmed and healing instantly, or scaring a freaking monster away and not even reacting much to it, it has much more effect on her, I think.

Plenty of people are closed in on themselves, that doesn't stop them from having normal relationship... Even if we make the giant leap that somehow this is an insurmountable deal for every potential partner on the face of the earth, these things are incredibly easy to fake (see monster, go "wow!"). Hardly something that would force him to only be able to be with Kotoko.

And even if we make, once again the incredible logic leap, that Kuro would be completely unable to hide his nature, how many people are actually really into the supernatural and actively want to be involved with these things? There's a reason romance book like twilight are super popular, people are interested in the supernatural. Add to that the people who are religious, and therefore already believe in some version of supernatural, and you quickly end up with the vast majority of people in the world would be okay with Kuro.
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:38 am Reply with quote
Does anyone think the editing for episode 6 was kind of weird? Around the 18 minute mark they threw in that scene about fate and branching futures and stuff in a totally different setting, then went back to waking down the hill with the bike around 20:30.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

Plenty of people are closed in on themselves, that doesn't stop them from having normal relationship... Even if we make the giant leap that somehow this is an insurmountable deal for every potential partner on the face of the earth, these things are incredibly easy to fake (see monster, go "wow!"). Hardly something that would force him to only be able to be with Kotoko.

And even if we make, once again the incredible logic leap, that Kuro would be completely unable to hide his nature, how many people are actually really into the supernatural and actively want to be involved with these things? There's a reason romance book like twilight are super popular, people are interested in the supernatural. Add to that the people who are religious, and therefore already believe in some version of supernatural, and you quickly end up with the vast majority of people in the world would be okay with Kuro.

I think you're lumping together the question of why "someone" wouldn't still want to be with Kuro, and why "she" wouldn't. Yes, some people would love to be involved with the supernatural. Heck, there's real-life stories of people who claim to be married to ghosts that they met after said ghost came on to them in the middle of the night. For a lot of other people, said ghost would be an incubus/succubus and the person would have wanted an exorcism.

Or to put it into more realist terms, let's say you've got a boyfriend, and for whatever reason the most hardened gang and criminal types you know turn tail and run at his sight. There aren't many things you can imagine that would put a good light on why. so chances are you're not gonna keep up that relationship, especially with all the other personality issues already weighing on that relationship. Some MIGHT, but most would not.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
I think you're lumping together the question of why "someone" wouldn't still want to be with Kuro, and why "she" wouldn't. Yes, some people would love to be involved with the supernatural. Heck, there's real-life stories of people who claim to be married to ghosts that they met after said ghost came on to them in the middle of the night. For a lot of other people, said ghost would be an incubus/succubus and the person would have wanted an exorcism.

Or to put it into more realist terms, let's say you've got a boyfriend, and for whatever reason the most hardened gang and criminal types you know turn tail and run at his sight. There aren't many things you can imagine that would put a good light on why. so chances are you're not gonna keep up that relationship, especially with all the other personality issues already weighing on that relationship. Some MIGHT, but most would not.

I was commenting on this part of episode 5 preview:
Quote:

Kotoko has said as much herself in previous stories, but the core binding thread between her and Kuro is their shared inhumanity. Saki herself is proof that it's difficult if not impossible for Kuro to function in a normal, intimate relationship.

Anyway, dumping your longtime partner because of something you essentially don't understand and don't have a clear explanation for is quite a shitty thing to do in my book and this paint Saki in quite a negative light.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
@meiam, fair enough. I'm only saying that I think her reaction has a reasonableness to it. I suppose the ultimate issue is we don't have a whole lot of detail. Was there any attempt by Kuro to get back together, was it there a big blowout fight, or did they split relatively amicably? She clearly doesn't hate him, but it's not going to be a healthy relationship if she forces herself to be with him just so that she doesn't appear to be insensitive to something she didn't even think existed until then.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Steve Jones wrote:
the snake god is a metaphor for CinemaSins. Theirs is a boring, A-to-B misinterpretation of storytelling as an airtight reproduction of reality.

Um, CinemaSins is a parody series written by comedians making fun of that type of people by always looking for something to be angry about, even if it's complaining about there NOT being a lapdance in a scene, or inadvertently making them think about a worse movie merely by virtue of doing a thing better than that worse movie did (seriously), or just nothing in particular because I couldn't think of anything to actually complain about so HEAR ME COMPLAIN ANYWAY.

I hear people who seem to not understand that for some reason complain about them all the time, though. I get the distinct impression that a bunch of that is just people continually feeding on the information that is going on, who aren't in on the joke due to never having actually watched their videos. And in this case, all of them are film snobs. The type who can't help going out of their way to show off their film snobbery to the point where it shows just how shallow they really are. Basically, some people memed about it, and others took the memes at face value without questioning it, because that's just how stupid the internet always is.

tl;dr CinemaSins already is the metaphor.

This would've been true if the person doing CinemaSins didn't used to mix in his own criticisms with movies.There's some irony there are CinemaSins is touted as a joke but it really is exactly what it's attempting to make fun of, so much so that movie directors hate any mention of the channel.

In/Spectre wasn't on my watchlist, but reading such good things in the reviews is making me reconsider.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In essence, this is the same problem she encountered with the belligerent snake god, albeit on a grander scale. She needs to incorporate all the known details into something that will satisfy her audience. That, not the truth, is her primary concern.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
As for how we're supposed to feel when she readily admits it was mostly bullshit, I don't think it was intended to be shocking, since we watched her fabricate the whole thing from the start. I think it was just some character-building time, to get us more in her way of thinking and her methods and her practical attitude toward her job.

I wanted to reiterate the above, because this was on my mind the whole time she was laying out her plan of creating a fiction that could replace the current one. The snake arc was laying the foundation for this one.

I'm also fascinated by how this series continues to be interesting while essentially being a talking heads show. There's an occasional sprinkle of action and some fun bits with youkai giant and mini, but it's still mostly dialog. And I'm loving it.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Why on earth is Steve Jones inserting his commentary on a political campaign in the middle of an article about an anime?!

How is this in any way acceptable standard for ANN? If I wanted to read annoying political sermons I would have stuck to reddit.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:28 am Reply with quote
It wasn't a sermon, and it wasn't much about politics, but rather a proximal real life example of what the episode was about. I thought he justified it well enough to include it. Do you freak out like this when anime itself includes political commentary, like including real life leaders or their recognizable substitutes, or satirizing events (e.g., the Gintama opening that recreated a politician's apology press conference)?
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It wasn't a sermon, and it wasn't much about politics, but rather a proximal real life example of what the episode was about. I thought he justified it well enough to include it. Do you freak out like this when anime itself includes political commentary, like including real life leaders or their recognizable substitutes, or satirizing events (e.g., the Gintama opening that recreated a politician's apology press conference)?

No, it's not, the episode had little to do with politics, and even less to do with the 2020 elections.
Quote:
a large swath of Twitter (myself included) was convinced that Pete Buttigieg's senior communications adviser had been exposed using a sockpuppet account where she posed as a Nigerian man who really loved her employer.

Quote:
it spread quickly because it fit a pattern of past behavior and reinforced an already-established narrative of desperation and deception within the Pete campaign.

There are a million real life analogies that Steven Jones could have used to talk about online conspiracies and memes. He chose to bring up Pete Buttigieg's presidential campaign, and then pivoted further to trashing Buttigieg as a politician when it had absolutely nothing to do with the show.

If you told me Steven Jones was a paid spokesman for the Bernie Sanders campaign, I would have believed you. Keep your politics out of anime, especially anime that has nothing to do with contemporary politics. Political cesspools stay on reddit and twitter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6