• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: LaLaport Numazu Removes 'Sexualizing' Panel of Love Live! Sunshine!!'s Chika

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:16 am Reply with quote
you gotta be [expletive] kidding me, this is some 4Kids level stuff.
Number #821189

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:23 am Reply with quote
You all asked for this. Congratulations.
tomaszterkates

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:36 am Reply with quote
Gotta love how some people are working to erase anime from public places under ridiculous claim. I'm sure removal of a cartoon girl will improve the rights of women all around the world.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:50 am Reply with quote
^ Um... you all know that's not how skirts work unless there made from sheer fabric. And a regular school uniform skirt is not sheer. You're all just showing how pathetic you are that you think that they should depict a school aged character like that.
tomaszterkates

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:56 am Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
^ Um... you all know that's not how skirts work unless there made from sheer fabric. And a regular school uniform skirt is not sheer. You're all just showing how pathetic you are that you think that they should depict a school aged character like that.

"If you're complaining about people censoring anime you're a pedophile".

Okay I understand I will shut up now. This is what you wanted?
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:39 am Reply with quote
tomaszterkates wrote:
IceLeaf wrote:

"If you're complaining about people censoring anime you're a pedophile".

Okay I understand I will shut up now. This is what you wanted?

Okay that's not what I meant (I admit I came on a bit strong), it's more along the lines of how people are getting defensive over it being removed when it's a public space where little kids could see it. Having the crotch area drawn on like that(as it does not work with fabric's opacity or where crease lines naturally form on fabric) in the first place is an odd choice to begin with let alone in a location anyone could see it.

Censoring anime is a completely different issue, this is just one problematic poster that they could easily fix with a simple edit to the drawing of the skirt and reprint out the standee of the ad. Anime and manga themselves are aimed at particular audiences and as such should be left for those audiences and not censored. But with this case the issue is that it's an ad for a separate product in a public space which isn't limited to the series' intended seinen audience and displayed in an area that isn't limited to the series' audience. Within the series itself the skirts aren't like this so it's odd they would do art like this for a public display.
tomaszterkates

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:51 am Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
Okay that's not what I meant (I admit I came on a bit strong), it's more along the lines of how people are getting defensive over it being removed when it's a public space where little kids could see it. Having the crotch area drawn on like that(as it does not work with fabric's opacity or where crease lines naturally form on fabric) in the first place is an odd choice to begin with let alone in a location anyone could see it.

Maybe it's weird choice to make a skirt like that, but still an extremely pedantic choice of complaint. And this is why people are defensive - at this point everyone will stop doing collaborations with anime studios because you can't predict whether a crease on skirt or wrong boob size will make losers on twitter mad. And industry will lose money.

Also what's next? First anime posters because they're not "family friendly" - next LGBT and Pride posters?
Clematis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:53 am Reply with quote
I agree with the correction. You cannot see those outlines on a skirt to begin with (you even have a rl version next to it for comparison, come on)......... it was nothing else but a cheap attempt to add some fanservice in a clumsy manner.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:57 am Reply with quote
Next time they need to be more tasteful and less.. I dunno... transparent about it?
No skirt folds that way. It looks as though she jammed it between her legs.
It was such an obvious ploy to try and get otaku to buy merchandise of this character. Rolling Eyes
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:59 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
you gotta be [expletive] kidding me, this is some 4Kids level stuff.

Quite literally Laughing

Nobody show this person the outfits in School Idol Festival. They'd go crazy.

IceLeaf wrote:

I mean, it's a drawing. Clothing doesn't have to 'work' any sort of way any more than the way Picasso draws faces or Spongebob not being how sponges work.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:52 am Reply with quote
The fixed version looks a lot better, but it's stupid to say the original is more sexualised... it just looks like she's wearing weird pleated shorts.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:06 am Reply with quote
>Skirts don't look like that

Neither do human eyes or faces, but go off I guess. It's drawn a little weird but if this is sexualizing we better put all fictional characters in throat to ankle gowns right now lest someone find them attactive. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:12 am Reply with quote
That’s a shame, looks like a cute collaboration to sell oranges from the characters home down.
IMS Judi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:12 am Reply with quote
As a mangaka working in Japan, this is my personal thoughts on this whole debacle.

Collaborations like these take a lot of time, effort, and manpower to pull off, ranging from the artist painstakingly perfecting their craft, the Love Live execs establishing licensing deals with the LaLaPort execs, to the business execs and Numazu city officials working together to draft the plans, to the farmers laboring hard to grow the oranges for the event, the factory workers responsible for packing and shipping those oranges, and so on. You get the picture.

This was supposed to be a fun event that would run for a month and draw in locals, tourists, and Love Live fans alike for celebration.

But then you get a handful of these thin-skinned Twitter losers who saw Chika's picture and got offended so badly, apparently because their minds are so perverted that they believed the skirt was see-through and that Chika was wearing a thong underneath, even though the picture in question is not problematic at all and is completely public-friendly. In other words, opinions.

So instead of just doing the mature thing, which is to just dislike it and move on, what did these few offended losers do? They used Twitter to gather up a cancel mob and then bullied Lalaport management into cancelling the event, even though they contributed nothing at all to the building process. Because to them, their opinions are facts, and if they found it offensive, then so should everyone else.

So because a few over-entitled, weak-minded, and cowardly individuals felt they had a god-given right to dictate what people can and can't enjoy in public, the artist's labors are wasted. The business executives' efforts were wasted. The city officials' labors were wasted. The farmers' hard work gone down the drain. The factory workers toiled for nothing. And most of all, the fans, locals, and tourists were denied of their right to participate in the event.

This is why in this fiasco, I firmly believe that the ones at fault and the ones to blame are none other than those offended losers themselves, because they felt that their feelings and false sense of morality were more important than the passion, freedoms, and hard work of countless of other people. Those offended bullies are the villains in this story, and they deserve no sympathy.

Thankfully, it seems karma is swift. Based on what I'm seeing on Twitter, the individuals who partook in the cancel culture mob are now getting counter-mobbed by thousands of angry (rightfully so) Love Live fans, Numazu locals, and just anime fans in general, and they are now busy desperately trying to fend off the hornet's nest that their selfishness has kicked. I’ve even seen some of the cancel mobster get banned; I assume they got mass-reported for targeted harassment or something.

That is all. I apologize for the explosion of words, since lately here in Japan, Twitter cancel mobs continue to mount assaults on anything moe or bishojo-related, and as a mangaka, I’m sick of it. It all needs to stop. Feel free to agree or disagree with me, if you so wish.
Oh no its e-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:18 am Reply with quote
In glad japan is finally becoming more like america...

Said nobody with a logical thought process.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6