• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Anime episodes have the most nerve-racking cliffhangers?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbrok5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:24 am Reply with quote
Without giving any spoilers, what episodes have such a nail-biting cliffhanger, that the idea of waiting another week to see the outcome feels like torture?
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Worst came in Nodame Cantabile when we had to wait a week to see if Nodame would kiss Milch.

Monster has many cliffhanger episodes. So do sports and game shows like Cross Game and Hikaru no Go. Tournaments lend themselves to cliffhangers.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
Of all the shows I've seen over the years Key the Metal Idol easily takes the cake. The majority of the episodes end on cliffhangers and the ending theme music usually starts shortly before the actual end of the episode so you get a nice reminder about the cliffhanger a few seconds before it happens.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:57 am Reply with quote
The penultimate episodes of both FMA 2003 and Eureka 7 both floored me when I first saw them. The former was very early on in my anime-watching career, and combined with the left-field twists of the previous episode or two, they were almost more than my neophyte fan brain could handle. I had no idea how things could resolve in a favorable manner, and it was an agonizing week waiting to see what would happen. Despite being a few years more experienced, I think Eureka 7 was an even more torturous experience. I was head-over-heels in love with the series and its characters, and the show essentially pulled the rug out from under the viewer at the last second. I spent almost every spare moment of free time during the ensuing week speculating about what could happen, and by the time the final broadcast rolled around I'd worked myself into a frenzy of anticipation. Of course this happened to be the moment when [adult swim] decided to air a time-edited version of the finale, but after getting some things figured out, I was able to watch the full version, and it was everything I'd hoped for. That's still one of my favorite anime-watching experiences.

(Related, but experiences like these are why I personally don't get the appeal of binge-watching in general. Mashing entire seasons' worth of episodes down your gullet as quickly as possible leaves no time for reflection on a major twist or anticipation on how a massive cliffhanger could be resolved, and I truly believe this acts as detrimental to the viewing experience.)
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

(Related, but experiences like these are why I personally don't get the appeal of binge-watching in general. Mashing entire seasons' worth of episodes down your gullet as quickly as possible leaves no time for reflection on a major twist or anticipation on how a massive cliffhanger could be resolved, and I truly believe this acts as detrimental to the viewing experience.)

I totally agree with that. When I was first watching anime it was well before the explosion on Toonami, Cartoon Network, etc, so it was usually a lot longer wait to get new content. For domestic releases of TV series would usually take at least a month between VHS tape releases (yay! Another 2 episodes!), sometimes longer. I remember being particularly frustrated at the slow release of Evangelion's final few volumes. But while the delays are frustrating it's a ton of fun to think about what might happen next, discuss it with fellow fans, etc. Also, when a new volume did finally come out after a lengthy delay that was an excuse to re-watch the earlier episodes again. It's fun to binge-watch, but it's arguably more fun to watch a bit more slowly so there's more opportunity to think about things, speculate, discuss with others, etc.
NonSteb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:43 pm Reply with quote
The majority of the episodes end on cliffhangers and the ending theme music usually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1