• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Isekai Quartet 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:21 am Reply with quote
Honey mustard. Honestly, I thought Nihon was supposed to be civilized.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:19 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Very strange to see karaage translated as wings. It's not like you're talking about some obscure Japan only food. It's just fried chicken. Though I don't think that makes the mayo or ketchup any better... (I'd be on the salt team :p)

Japanese Mayo is made differently than it is in North America, JP Mayo includes just egg yolks instead of a whole egg and apple, making it sweeter than NA Mayo
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:37 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Very strange to see karaage translated as wings. It's not like you're talking about some obscure Japan only food. It's just fried chicken. Though I don't think that makes the mayo or ketchup any better... (I'd be on the salt team :p)

Japanese Mayo is made differently than it is in North America, JP Mayo includes just egg yolks instead of a whole egg and apple, making it sweeter than NA Mayo

Mind JP Mayo does not use whole apples but apple cider vinegar instead vs say Hellaman's which uses white vinegar.
bennyl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Key wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
The fact that the review did not recognize Albedo's move as a pro wrestling reference leaves me extremely disappointed.

Actually, I didn't even realize that she was pulling a wrestling move there; I thought she just jumped on the guy. I followed pro wrestling during my high school and college years but had mostly lost interest by the mid '90s - IOW, before Chris Jericho came on the scene.

Fun Fact: Chris Jericho was active for a while in New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) before hitting it big in the States and briefly returned there in 2017-18. That probably at least partly explains the reference here.

Albedo is not pulling a wrestling move.

Isekai Quartet is loaded with Easter eggs from it's various source materials-the not so normal "cat" Chomusuke...We're through the anime here people into the written materials.

Walls of Jericho is one Albedo's tanking abilities,it's happened to be based of off...The Walls of Jericho(Joshua 6:1–27)- Overlord vol 4 special drama CD "The Sealed Evil Tree Arc" being the source material and her character sheet.

Her other inate powers-
Aegis
Counter Arrow
Devil's Wings
Item Destruction
Parry
Parry Missile
Poison Mist
Skill Boost
Summon Mount
Succubus Eyes
Transposition

She put Tanya's guy in the pro wrestling move "the walls of Jericho" so it was two for one Easter egg.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Perhaps it was a deliberate move by the translation team to try and make it more relatable to a US audience who likely thinks of "fried chicken" as large pieces on the bone where in experience karaage is small boneless pieces so "chicken wings" was perhaps considered a better analogue.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
finally, a half decent joke with shield hero.

I really hate that they are using light novel/aniem shield hero, the webnovel one even had a great joke about him banning his party members from having sex because of risk of pregnancy... then immediately compliments that by declaring that homosexual relationships are ok... made better by the reaction of one of his male party memebers as he is the one who gets naofumi crawling into his bed every night,he is a soft, fluffy tiger so naofumi enjoys the fluffiness and avoid being crawled himself.
LN/anime naofumi is too nice to pull that kind of stuff.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Kiskaloo wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Perhaps it was a deliberate move by the translation team to try and make it more relatable to a US audience who likely thinks of "fried chicken" as large pieces on the bone where in experience karaage is small boneless pieces so "chicken wings" was perhaps considered a better analogue.

Wouldn't chicken nuggets or chicken fingers be a better choice to use than chicken wings for karaage?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Wouldn't chicken nuggets or chicken fingers be a better choice to use than chicken wings for karaage?

Maybe sauce dipping is more frequent with chicken wings (which are mostly an excuse to taste the sauce) than with chicken nuggets?
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
This week's episode was great and had me laughing throughout. I loved the cowlick bit in the background (though I think they should have left it silent and not called attention to it, just leaving it a background joke).

I paused it and I'm pretty sure that photo was of Tuare. If I'm remembering correctly, Wilhelm showed off a photo of his wife (or he may have just mentioned her?) last time we saw them, so it's a nice little continuation on their relationship.

mangamuscle wrote:

Maybe sauce dipping is more frequent with chicken wings (which are mostly an excuse to taste the sauce) than with chicken nuggets?

I don't dip my nuggets, but I know most people do and fast food places like McDonalds tend to give out nugget dipping sauce whenever you order them. I suppose it could be a regional thing though *shrug*
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The soldiers not wanting to spy the girls was a nice throw back to the scene in youjo senki when tanya forces them to strip naked in the cold and they were too profesional to oogle on victoriya, whom was also striped.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Poor Yunyun. All alone in Karaoke and as well as buying two extra lunches when she's sitting at the table in the cafeteria.

I love this series with all it's references.
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Any guesses on that mysterious costumer?
Gray.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Who noticed Ristarte from Shinchou Yuusha?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
She was hard to spot because of the golden sunset coloring her usually white clothing, but the golden wristcuff gave her away. Smile

My favorite bit was Cocytus seeing Visha at the handiclawcrafts store (and later doing string art there, sort of). Also Weiß and YunYun need to hook up.
KuroiEr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Subaru is also the Japanese name for the Pleiades star cluster making that scene even funnier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6