Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online novel 18


Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AnimeFlyz



Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Posts: 193
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:08 pm Reply with quote
IDK why people are mad about Key's opinion on Kirito. As someone who has read over 50 different Light Novel Franchises, Kirito is easily one of the most uninteresting protagonists. In fact there is a more interesting version of Kirito that exists. Its called SAO Progressive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 132
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
IDK why people are mad about Key's opinion on Kirito. As someone who has read over 50 different Light Novel Franchises, Kirito is easily one of the most uninteresting protagonists. In fact there is a more interesting version of Kirito that exists. Its called SAO Progressive.


I think that you're misunderstanding. I don't care if Key likes or hates Kirito. All I was saying was that if this review is supposed to be objective in any way then his dislike of the character shouldn't be affecting the review like it seems to be. He can hate Kirito but him being the main focus in this volume should not be a bad thing just because he dislikes him. However, if this review is entirely subjective then it makes absolutely no difference to me.

As for what you said about Progressive Kirito being more interesting I completely agree. However, you can't look at them as separate anymore because Reki has been using stuff shown and talked about in Progressive in the main series. I'm not sure exactly when he started doing it but at the very least stuff from Progressive is having an effect on this volume . In the future volumes the two series become even more connected so it's best to just look at them as one series under two different names covering different points in time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pedram



Joined: 31 Mar 2012
Posts: 45
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:

I noticed that you post on SAO articles pretty often and I just want to say I really appreciate your posts. You seem to be able to explain stuff about the series more calmly and lot better than I can. And forgive me if I'm wrong but I think I've seen you post on either general LN or SAO sections of reddit. If you're the person I'm thinking of than you're pretty knowledgeable about the series and I've learned a lot of interesting stuff about it because of you, so thanks for that as well.


Happy to help if that was me lol, I'm active in reddit, mainly r/LightNovel and r/SwordArtOnline and r/Anime

Sometimes MAL and anilist.

The rest of my LN discussion happen in discord, r/anime discord and Anilist discord or specific series discord like SAO etc etc or lots Chinese novels discord. lol

I read more webnovels than I read lightnovels lol

AnimeFlyz wrote:
IDK why people are mad about Key's opinion on Kirito. As someone who has read over 50 different Light Novel Franchises, Kirito is easily one of the most uninteresting protagonists. In fact there is a more interesting version of Kirito that exists. Its called SAO Progressive.


nobody is mad tbh. Very Happy

my complains wasn't about why Key didn't like kirito but more of a "it's unfair to give a negative point to volume 18 just coz kirito is the focus of volume 18 and you don't like him"

either way, I already took back my complain as I realize it's Key's personal review and there is nothing wrong with that even if I disagree with it.

Anyway, I also read way over 50 different novel franchise (not all light novel) but Kirito is defiantly one of the most interesting and likable ones for me.

But I count both Main and Progressive kirito as one kirito, coz they are not all that different, specially since I read all the the side stories too and the new volumes ( unital ring ) as well which is written after sao progressive.


Kisuke525 wrote:
Reki has been using stuff shown and talked about in Progressive in the main series. I'm not sure exactly when he started doing it


He is doing it since the very beginning back in 2012.

bonus story with anime BDs include The Day Before and Sugary Days since season 1 IIRC, and they all include progressive stuff and Argo.

and all of Alicization volumes include tons of referances to Progressive.

I think earliest one i remember was in volume 10 when kirito talk about Dark Elf Queen's blade from Elf War campaign. and later Asuna and PoH talk about progressive events too and later in Moon Cradle as well, in Unital Ring spoiler[Argo completely show up in main story too]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 2125
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Pedram wrote:
bonus story with anime BDs include The Day Before and Sugary Days since season 1 IIRC, and they all include progressive stuff and Argo.

and all of Alicization volumes include tons of referances to Progressive.

I think earliest one i remember was in volume 10 when kirito talk about Dark Elf Queen's blade from Elf War campaign. and later Asuna and PoH talk about progressive events too and later in Moon Cradle as well, in Unital Ring spoiler[Argo completely show up in main story too]

Well, first I have to say I'm glad spoiler[Argo] survived SAO, to get that aside.

About the Progressive, the fleshing out of the original story, I started reading those volumes about when I also started to read the Alicization arc in the main story, that must have influenced me somewhat because I suspected/feared the whole Progressive thing was a kind of 'replay' of the whole incident taking place later. Which, with the STL's memory manipulation capabilities wouldn't be totally out of the possible...

I would thing Progressive will continue to the end of the Elf War campaign(the ninth floor) but I also think it will stop there. It's just not possible for the author to flesh out the entire story in the same manner. Or pace.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16187
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
I noticed that you post on SAO articles pretty often and I just want to say I really appreciate your posts. You seem to be able to explain stuff about the series more calmly and lot better than I can. And forgive me if I'm wrong but I think I've seen you post on either general LN or SAO sections of reddit. If you're the person I'm thinking of than you're pretty knowledgeable about the series and I've learned a lot of interesting stuff about it because of you, so thanks for that as well.

I don't even have a login on Reddit, so I'm afraid that wasn't me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pedram



Joined: 31 Mar 2012
Posts: 45
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

I suspected/feared the whole Progressive thing was a kind of 'replay' of the whole incident taking place later. Which, with the STL's memory manipulation capabilities wouldn't be totally out of the possible...


lol that would be pretty cool tbh, I very highly doubt it at this point, specially since I'm pretty sure SAO Progressive is more like an older Kirito and Asuna are telling the story of Aincrad in detail to other peoples. maybe their friends or kids.

The reason for why I think that, is those rare and short 4th wall breaking scene when Kirito or Asuna suddenly change into an omniscient narrator and say stuff like

Quote:
a long time later or many years later, Asuna told me this fact about this event or I learn that if i didn't do this, X would have happened


These short lines randomly showing up in the Progressive novels, made me believe it's Kirito and Asuna telling their story of early Aincrad Adventure and survival together to other peoples.

specially since all of it is from the view of either Asuna or Kirito.
So far there was no scene from another perspective, like there wasn't any scene from the enemy perspective, All of the story, is from Either Kirito or Asuna's memory/PoV.


Blanchimont wrote:
I would thing Progressive will continue to the end of the Elf War campaign(the ninth floor) but I also think it will stop there. It's just not possible for the author to flesh out the entire story in the same manner. Or pace.


I think Floor 9 or 10 is a possible ending place for SAO Progressive, but I kind of doubt it.

I think the most likely place to end the story is in Floor 25.

Floor 25 is a VERY important floor with a huge amount of major event happening in it which we already knew since Main SAO Light Novels but it was never explained to us in detail.

it's the first Super hard floor boss (basically each 5 floor = hard boss while each 25 floor = super hard boss so Floor 25, 50, 75 and 100 are Super Hard Boss)

We knew that around 1/3 of the Front runners died and half of them left the frontlines.

Which have PoH's involvement as well. spoiler[ tricking Kibaou's guild into soloing it and losing half their members failing miserably then having to leave to floor 1 and merge with MMO Today's guild who was run by Thinker that dude from Yui's story and they created The Aincrad Liberation Army ]

And we also know that Kirito and Asuna finally spoiler[completely split in floor 25 and Asuna join ] KoB guild that was just created by Kayaba and clear floor 25.

So yeh, since Kirito and Asuna are spoiler[ together until 25 ] and a major event happen there, progressive is probably going up to 25 as well and after Floor 25, everything is already more detailed in main story.

Kirito join Sachi's guild a few days after Asuna join KoB and the rest is in the anime and other side story like Hopeful Chant etc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 132
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
I noticed that you post on SAO articles pretty often and I just want to say I really appreciate your posts. You seem to be able to explain stuff about the series more calmly and lot better than I can. And forgive me if I'm wrong but I think I've seen you post on either general LN or SAO sections of reddit. If you're the person I'm thinking of than you're pretty knowledgeable about the series and I've learned a lot of interesting stuff about it because of you, so thanks for that as well.

I don't even have a login on Reddit, so I'm afraid that wasn't me.


My reply wasn't aimed at you it was at Pedram.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group