• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
rewinding anime she admired over and over again, taking note of important shots.

That seemed to be live-action she was watching, to me. She was taking a look at how people/actors moved in order to animate it later.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 am Reply with quote
I am actually not surprised now that I think about it, that an anime about making anime is one of the first anime with a protagonist dealing with autism spectrum disorder.
furyk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
All aboard the Yuasa Train! CHOO CHOO
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Wait, didn't the new episode air just today? How the heck did the review come out so fast?
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Wait, didn't the new episode air just today? How the heck did the review come out so fast?

I start hitting the refresh button on the Crunchyroll app at 10:29 Pacific so I don't have to wait even a second longer for the latest episode to drop. Why should Zac be any different? Laughing

And yes, that last line of Midori's really hit me. I love this show so much it is hard to find new words to describe the emotional attachment I have to it with every new episode.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

Zac love this show, and he can't wait to talk about it?

Thanks, Zac!

When Midori said, "No, we're nakama!", it was another emotional high point, the perfect ending for a thrilling ride.

In addition to recognizing their daughters' movements in her animation work, I liked Tsubame's reply to her parents: "You're actors, you know what to look for."

Her question to her parents, "When the production is done, have you ever been satisfied with it?" and receiving affirmation for the fact that watching the film she had seen lots of places to improve (echoed later by Midori).

Thanks for pointing out the discarded tea, Zac. I'd been impressed by that, but somehow managed to forget the connection to the earlier scene with the grandmother.

I think this series is going to be studied by animators in years to come. The writing and directing are extremely tight. I wonder how much is Science Saru, and how much is the original source material.
HannoX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Kanamori has rather--effective--negotiating tactics!

I love this show so much. It's already on my "must buy" list when it comes out on home video.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Zac love this show, and he can't wait to talk about it?

I figured as much, but still, I'm so used to reviews for new episodes on this site coming out the day after or later, so for the review to come out the day of before evening hours (eastern time) makes quite the impact.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
So many things to talk about....

I got a real sense that the robot's emergence was an homage to Evangelion, the image of the robot's foot filling the screen followed by the robot swaying as it walked with the sun at its back.

Tsubame has never learned how to use chopsticks correctly?

Was the HVAC blackmail material gathered while the Eizouken was studying the movements and postures of feasting?

Plus: a water-rocket Itano circus as the Robot Club launched their Tsubame trinkets.

I was puzzled by Tsubame's manta-ray cosplay until I saw the official video for chelmico's Easy Breezy.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Any idea why they haven't dubbed this show yet? It would be amazing if they could get an autistic actor to play midori I think.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:19 am Reply with quote
I had only to watch the first three minutes of the first episode to know this is a series I had to watch. A#1
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:25 am Reply with quote
Good review from your heart, Zac. Thanks for sharing a piece of your soul with us re each episode up to now. It's 1 of your best.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I was puzzled by Tsubame's manta-ray cosplay until I saw the official video for chelmico's Easy Breezy.

So that's what it was. Pretty obscure reference, if you ask me.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:13 pm Reply with quote
One small thing I like about Eizouken is that it's explicitly takes place in a world more exaggerated in our own. I remember I think the second episode where Tsubame crawls out of a secret passage and I thought it was an imagine spot, but then it's revealed to actually be a real secret passage. Another person on twitter also pointed out that the teacher's room is a empty swimming pool.

With a story like Eizouken the most obvious choice you would make is to make the real-world our mundane world to contrast the animated world. But it felt like the mangaka said "I made this series to show why I love animation, like hell I'm going to make the real world something you can shoot in a live-action film.".

It's a very Eizouken decision.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
With a story like Eizouken the most obvious choice you would make is to make the real-world our mundane world to contrast the animated world. But it felt like the mangaka said "I made this series to show why I love animation, like hell I'm going to make the real world something you can shoot in a live-action film.".

This is why I am upset that the idiot production committee is wasting money on a live action adaptation instead of giving us another 12 episodes of anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9