• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime We Most Want to See in Live-Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
No to live action Berserk! Yes to lavish ufotable 2D berserk!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I was excited for a live action Monster, if only because I thought it might get Viz to release the whole anime series in NA. The latter is a moot issue now, unless someone else can pry the dub from their hands, but from the first announcement I was dreading what they'd do to it to Americanize it. So the only way I'd be on board with it now would be if they kept the time and place, and Tenma as Japanese. It just requires too many changes once you start fiddling with those basic elements, until it's just a run-of-the-mill thriller.

I still am surprised that Black Lagoon hasn't been done, and still think it would work. Again, Rock ought to be Japanese (even if the actor is "generic" Asian), which shouldn't be a problem since the rest of the cast includes Americans.

As far as Westernization goes, I don't mind it if they openly admit it by changing the title and doing a "based on" or "original work by" disclaimer. Movies like Seven Samurai and Yojimbo have had successful westernized adaptations and no one flinched, because they called them Magnificent Seven and A Fistful of Dollars or Last Man Standing. But what usually happens is they don't change the title and then offer a movie that's nothing like the original, or at best a pale imitation that gets all the characters wrong.
chronium

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I think sports anime would have an easy time to be adapted into a live action series. Capeta would do well and a adaptation would most likely get rid of a lot of the annoying crying scenes.

I would also be interested to see a western take on Beck just for the hell of it.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Yuri!!! on Ice.

It's the first series I have EVER gotten into that had me going "I would love to see Hollywood properly adapt this". Give me that multi-national cast and an actually quality portrayal of figure skating from the US film industry (bc I, Tonya and Spinning Out ain't it). It wouldn't require a big budget to be a high quality film, and I think they might actually be able to successfully condense the show into film length.

Being said, Hollywood would probably balk at such a multi-national cast with so many accents, not to mention a Japanese lead (though being not big budget might make them more willing to do it), and that multi-national cast would be a big part of the appeal for me. And cutting out the romance would of course, be unacceptable.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:
...In any case, shows like Fate or Code Geass would be too ambitious. It took 2 years to shoot all 3 Lord of the Rings movies, after all.
Oh, but that means it could be a cash cow much bigger than LOR and for longer if it catches on with fans...I can't think of an exec not salivating at that prospect. Plus, if they adapt in the right sizes, the first couple of installments could be separable so if they failed, the project can be canned at any time...

That's an excellent point. I forgot that the Fate series and movies were more or less self-contained stories.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Didn't vote for live-action FSN because any interest I have in that is best described as morbid curiosity, but Detective Pikachu shows that Pokemon is viable. Dunno who suggested High School of the Dead but I'm seconding it; trashy zombie schlock is absolutely applicable to live action.
akamarulover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
I kinda feel like LWA would not be very good in live action. The Trigger art style and quirky animation is a big part of its charm. Fate series also would be pretty hard to pull off well unless it had a ridiculously huge budget.

My top pick would be Naoki Urasawa's Monster. It's a great series and a live action version would be a great format to show off its masterful storytelling to people who might normally snub animation
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:31 am Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
To be fair most of those Kurosawa adaptions didn't cause flinching because they came out in a time when it was openly acceptable to treat Japanese people as non-humans so people didn't care. The 2016 remake of Magnificent Seven did get some backlash at the time from people commenting on the original Japanese roots of the original film, which I assume was also part of the reason they specifically made it so racially diverse to try to sidestep those accusations in the modern era.

I think the reason those adaptations didn't get much if any flack was because few people realized they were adaptations, especially Last Man. Hell, I suspect the wider movie-going audience didn't even realize The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Let Me In were remakes of Swedish films.

As for the remake of Magnificent Seven, I think most of the crap it got was just because it sucked, compared to the "original" adaptation. Assuming they even knew about that one. A lot of people seemed to think it was adapting Red Dead Redemption 2. Or The Expendables (?). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:35 am Reply with quote
SSSS.Gridman started out as an adaptation of the original live-action Gridman series, so I could easily see it being re-adapted into live-action.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:55 am Reply with quote
If Vinland Saga would make a live action series soon then it's gonna be like a Game of Thrones hype. Wink
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
I think the only anime that Hollywood should look into remaking as live-actions are ones where the characters are mostly non-Japanese, that way they wouldn’t have to relocate and change names.
It bothers me when names get changed into something more familiar to us, but the story clearly takes place in a country where those names wouldn’t be common/used.

So the ones I think *could* work for Hollywood without the need to “Westernize” are:

Full Metal Alchemist
Last Exile
Attack on Titan
Gundam (any gundam)
No. 6 (a bit of a stretch)
Gungrave
Outlaw Star
Code Geass
Tiger & Bunny
Trinity Blood

Can’t think of any more with mostly Western characterizations/names.

Speaking of Outlaw Star, we already got that in live action. They just changed it a bit and called it Firefly instead.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
There was a live-action FB in the works, and ANN did a Podcast on it. Same with Berserk.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
Just a note, Fate already has got a live action series being made by studio TMA, so hollywood would never be able to get the rights to that.

Last edited by maximilianjenus on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
RhinocerousTrilbies

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
“Live-action anime we want to see”?

Speak for yourselves on that one
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Color2413 wrote:
catandmouse wrote:

No. 6 (a bit of a stretch)

I would be happy with a sequel that resolved the huge cliffhanger at the end of the "Beyond" book:

spoiler[Shion's grifter father heading for No. 6 with gold on his mind. What could possibly go wrong?]

That would be very interesting. I loved that story to bits, it it always bothered me that they were never 100% communicative with each other. Rather than a live action, I’d rather see the anime be remade to be closer to the original novels narrative. I personally hated the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5