• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping this is just a temporary setback and that we will see ADV back up and running in no time.

If it is, someone should start printing T-shirts saying "I got paranoid about ADV going out of business which never happened and all I got was a lousy T-shirt". Razz
rg4619

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
IMO this is the simplest answer: the ADV site broke so they put up an old version until it's fixed.

As another possibility, modifying an older backup might be the easiest way of removing recent titles from the site. It's strange that titles from late 2006/early 2007 (Air Gear, Pani Poni Dash) are missing, whereas the new Princess Tutu boxset (announced Summer 2007? I remember the uproar over the revealed boxart around that time) isn't.

http://www.advfilms.com/buy/anime/fantasy/princess-tutu/complete-collection/product.aspx?ProductId=21438&CategoryId=0

If it's as simple as a very old backup, that product shouldn't be there! Is there some uncertainty regarding newer licenses? Although as others say, retailers haven't been informed yet.....
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Additionally, this story is almost 24 hours old. A downtime of that length (even if there is a backup available) is pretty unacceptable in the corporate world.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Additionally, this story is almost 24 hours old. A downtime of that length (even if there is a backup available) is pretty unacceptable in the corporate world.

Technically it is not completely down. Although it has been well long enough to put up some damn construction signs. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm an English dub fan. It's my preference. I also like other expensive extras like art boxes, but they're secondary if I'm really interested in a series. It's my belief that after the weakest companies die, those that remain will largely switch to a box set release format for most series with "niche" series, which are very often the ones I like the most, going sub-only.

Actually that wouldn't help all that much. Dub artists for domestic series that are unionized make a heck of a lot more than the ones anime licensors use yet their series still keep a lower price point. Sadly the largest cost in R1 releases are the licensing fees the studio charges for the rights and the fact it's a niche market that isn't going to yield the sales domestic products generally do. Anime is just higher risk for these companies so a lot of the price is in place to lessen the risk to them and help them earn back that licensing fee.

Removing the dub would just alienate a lot of fans and cause a lot of people to buy less, myself included in all honesty. While that would save some production costs they would lose customers and would make it higher risk which would, in all likelihood, just drive the price up instead of down.

Quote:
Box sets with ADV tend toward no extras, which is the only reason I've generally avoided their box sets. Even if I'm not particularly interested in them, it drives me nuts when they aren't there.

True. So just buy the singles near the end of their run. They're still generally available for some time after their initial release until the end of their run and beyond. Wait until it's obvious the series will be released in its entirety and start picking them up. I've done it with many series, though not due to paranoia, but rather just because I'm behind and don't start a new series until I finish one I'm already picking up.

Quote:
Plus, what's happening with ADV right now feels much like what happened with Geneon. The deafening silence just makes things all the more likely to be bad. When you have good news, people won't shut up.

Yeah, the silence isn't helping them any. It's obvious that no matter what the reason is, it's not going to be good news. It could be a database or site problem, while that's preferable to the more glood and doom possibilities, it's still not good news or something they'll be quick to broadcast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr.G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
No company will dramaticall increase their sub only release. Because first off anime is a niche market so since your market is already small they arnt going to further limit their market by serving a niche in the nich market.

I hate to break it to you but many many anime fans like dubs so if ADV or any other company releases a lot of subs only then those dub fans will shy away from buying those products.

Also having too many sub only titles would stunt the growth of anime because a lot of people who arnt anime fans but who might want to get into would be turned off by subs only because a ton of people hate sub movies and shows in general.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
someone on aod said that it may be because of licensing issues with digital content. seeing as netflix removed some of their titles from there site but dvd's are still offered, maybe ADV has licensing issues with that. They could have offered it without authorization and the japanese want them to pay seperate for the digital stuff and they are trying to figure out what to do.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although as others say, retailers haven't been informed yet.....

We're always the last to be told officially. That's Anime business law #243.

Bob (aka Robert)
www.animecornerstore.com[/url]
feytaline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to jump in the fray (not really) and add that this is kind of ... well, just plain irritating. SOME noise other than the wild speculations of fans would be nice.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Memo to ADV:

Tell us what is going on.

Thank you

/thread

Or, to put it in English, this lack of information is no longer acceptable to your customers. I already have enough artboxes that will never be filled. Like a previous commentator, I'm glad I didn't delete my Kanon downloads when I heard it got licensed. If you want to punish people who actually buy your DVDs then on your heads be it.
jmrstuff2002

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
IVc2 had the following to say in an article from yesterday(you cannot get to it anymore but google chached it luckily)
Quote:
ADV Cancels 37 Titles
Anime Offerings on 'Indefinite Hiatus'
Canceled
January 28, 2008

In a letter to retailers ADV Films has identified 37 anime properties including Devil May Cry, Gurren Lagann, and Pumpkin Scissors that are "on indefinite hiatus, effective immediately." The list includes virtually all of the properties that ADV has announced since its financing deal with the Sojitz Corporation (see "Japanese Investment Bulks Up ADV") in late June of 2006. The properties that ADV has announced (and released) since then are from a variety of anime studios but they were all licensed through the ARM Corporation, a subsidiary of Japan Contents Investment, an investor group that included the Sojitz Corporation, the Development Bank of Japan and KlockWorx. In its letter to retailers ADV explained: "ADV has suspended certain elements of its former alliance with ARM Corporation, which financed the acquisition of these titles. ADV is working closely with various constituencies with the goal of restoring most if not all of these properties to our release schedule at a later date to the extent possible."

The list includes properties that have already been released in their entirety such as Nerima Daikon Brothers, Guyver, and 009-1, series such as Pumpkin Scissors, Kurau Phantom Memory, and Red Garden that have only been partially released, and eagerly awaited anime such as Devil May Cry, Gurren Lagann and 5 Centimeters per Second that have been announced for later this year. The complete list of ADV anime properties on hiatus is:

009-01
5cm Per Second
Ah! My Goddess: Flights of
Fancy
Air Gear
Air Movie
Air TV series
Best Student Council
Blade of the Phantom Master
Comic Party Revolution
Coyote Ragtime
Devil May Cry
Ghost Train
Gurren Lagann
Guyver
Innocent Venus
Jinki: Extend
Kanon TV Series
King of Bandit Jing: 7th Heaven
Kurau Phantom Memory
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Magikano
Moeyo Ken TV Series
Moonlight Mile
Nerima Daikon Brothers
Pani Pani Dash!
Project Blue
Pumpkin Scissors
Red Garden
Synethesia
The Wallflower
Tokyo Majin
UFO Princess Valkyrie - Third
and Fourth Seasons
Utawarerumono
Venus vs. Virus
Welcome to the NHK
Xenosaga

Coming on the heels of Geneon's departure (see "Geneon Ankles American Anime Scene") the ADV announcement is more bad news for the reeling North American Anime Industry. For the past few years ADV has been the number two anime company in the North America, with a solid 12-13% share of the anime DVD market. Recently though ADV has been showing signs of stress. It has pulled its support from its industry-leading collection of anime clubs and two weeks ago announced that it would cease publication of Newtype USA (see "Newtype USA Ending"). The collapse of ADV's deal with ARM does not necessarily mean the end of one of the trailblazing American anime companies, which was founded in 1992. ADV still has an extensive library of titles including the ever-popular Neon Genesis Evangelion. Still the fate of ADV subsidiaries such as The Anime Network, the Newtype successor PiQ (see "Newtype Successor Broadens Focus"), and the ADV manga publishing program that includes the bestselling Yotsuba&! manga remains in the balance as does the future of one of the pioneering powerhouses of the American anime market.

Take it with a grain of salt but it makes alot of sense to me.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Curious. Though, if true, I wonder why Robert from RACS above didn't seem to know anything about it if such a letter was sent to retailers. If it is true that is unfortunate, but at least it's not as bad as is assumed. Since it was removed though I'm inclined to believe there are other elements in play.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Ok Now I am getting scared I seriously Hope ADV is not gonna go under
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
jmrstuff2002 wrote:

In a letter to retailers ADV Films has identified 37 anime properties including Devil May Cry, Gurren Lagann, and Pumpkin Scissors that are "on indefinite hiatus, effective immediately."

Assuming this is the case, then it's a real shame. Sad
I know there's enough doom and gloom in this thread already, but the words "Indefinite Hiatus" sound eerily familiar. It all seems very Geneon-esque...
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I wish we could get some sort of confirmation on that article. Having it posted here with no real link to follow makes me go "Meh."

If it's true...eep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 20