• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Smile Down the Runway

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:19 pm Reply with quote
^^ oh you're right! It was just Kokoro who had to take the second round then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Saddled with about US$5,000 in medical debt that will be due once his mother is released from the hospital (suspend your disbelief here)

I'm not sure which part of that you think we'd disbelieve, but for me it's that he'd owe that much at all. Ikuto's family seems the law-abiding sort, so they'd likely have budgeted for the mandatory (though optional in practice) insurance coverage to make up the 30% of her bills they would be responsible for. And given their poverty, it likely wouldn't be that much anyway, since that's adjustable by age and income. I always wonder when anime and manga in modern settings still use the "I'm going to be bankrupt/homeless/in some sort of dire straits because of medical bills, so I'll do something desperate" trope. Wouldn't Japanese viewers/readers know better?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm under the assumption that healthcare in Japan wouldn't leave them in such a situation (then again it'd be way more in the U.S.) but even then...payment plans are a thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry Lynzee, but this is all standard Shounen sports tropes. The declaration of rivals. The high stakes. The underdog drama. Geika festival is basically just the "Inter-High" of the first cour. Likely, that Kokoro and Ikuto will put up a good fight, but the 1st seed (Itoh) will win. However, their strong showing will spur them to pick up the pieces and start fresh, resolved to be become better. But, I could be wrong. Either way, I love it. Doesn't matter if it's Shounen Sports: Volleyball, Shounen Sports: Cooking or Shounen Sports: Fashion. Favorite show of the season.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm six episodes in on the dub but so far my most concrete thought on the series was "When did Xellos become a fashion designer? I mean, it is in character but how did he find the time?"

The shonen tropes I find irritating, the shoujo ones I find trite. What keeps me going through it, especially after the foregone conclusion beginning, is one basic question:
Does Ikuto know how he feels about Chiyuki and does Chiyuki know how she feels about Ikuto?"
[blinks] It's Lina and Goury. Ok, is this a secret Slayers Isekai story?

All in all, it's an eye rolling average though luckily for me I stopped rolling my eyes at every forced lucky break else they would have popped out after Ikuto back doored himself into a fashion school while still in high school.

"How does he find the time?" Well, if you don't bring it up then it's not a problem, is it?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I’ve been wondering about this for a while, and it doesn’t look like the show will answer it, so I’ll ask about it here: Why does Chiyuki being shorter than other models put her at a disadvantage? Not short in general, mind you - as far as I can tell she is at the average height for a woman in Japan - just short for a model. Like, with Haikyu, it’s pretty clear why being short would put someone at a disadvantage in volleyball, but with Runway, I still don’t know why it would be a disadvantage here. Her height certainly didn’t affect her ability to put on that performance in the most recent episode. Her height didn’t prevent her from getting modeling gigs outside the fashion industry. It’s not like being tall is the ideal of beauty outside the context of fashion modeling, as seen by Kokoro’s insecurities about her height. In very specific circumstances, like the replacement model being different enough from the model they were replacing that the clothes have to be retailored, that I could understand height being an issue, but I don’t get why it would be a problem if you designed the clothes around her in the first place. Without any other explanation, I could only conclude that it is purely based on the preconceptions of those in the industry about what a model looks like, and not in any substantive differences between the abilities of taller women and women of average height. Am I missing something, or is that it? If it is, it seems like a striking failure of imagination in an otherwise creative industry.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Finally a good episode. So much better with Chiyuki and Kokoro as the focus

zrnzle500 wrote:
I’ve been wondering about this for a while, and it doesn’t look like the show will answer it, so I’ll ask about it here: Why does Chiyuki being shorter than other models put her at a disadvantage?

The show explains this really well, if you're paying attention
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Tall, thin models have been the industry standard for a very long time. In part, it's a case of "that's just the way it's always been" continuing to perpetuate the norm.

The other half is because of how designers want their clothing to appear on the runway. They want taller models to accentuate longer silhouettes, hemlines, etc. It can give more options for playing with proportions without looking like you swallowed the model in fabric.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
So, this is SERIES finale and it won't have season 2 at all.(Manga is still continued I think.)
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:29 am Reply with quote
Word is the anime covered about the 1st 9 volumes of the manga (albeit with cuts and skips to fit the 12 ep count). The manga is still ongoing in Japan and has 15 volumes currently.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I’ve been wondering about this for a while, and it doesn’t look like the show will answer it, so I’ll ask about it here: Why does Chiyuki being shorter than other models put her at a disadvantage? Not short in general, mind you - as far as I can tell she is at the average height for a woman in Japan - just short for a model. Like, with Haikyu, it’s pretty clear why being short would put someone at a disadvantage in volleyball, but with Runway, I still don’t know why it would be a disadvantage here. Her height certainly didn’t affect her ability to put on that performance in the most recent episode. Her height didn’t prevent her from getting modeling gigs outside the fashion industry. It’s not like being tall is the ideal of beauty outside the context of fashion modeling, as seen by Kokoro’s insecurities about her height. In very specific circumstances, like the replacement model being different enough from the model they were replacing that the clothes have to be retailored, that I could understand height being an issue, but I don’t get why it would be a problem if you designed the clothes around her in the first place. Without any other explanation, I could only conclude that it is purely based on the preconceptions of those in the industry about what a model looks like, and not in any substantive differences between the abilities of taller women and women of average height. Am I missing something, or is that it? If it is, it seems like a striking failure of imagination in an otherwise creative industry.

I had to think about this since the show also makes a point that that designers typically come up with ideas with a particular model in mind. If the standard is for models to be very tall, then it would be odd to think of designs for a short model. Tradition is working against her, and designers aren't going to want to change their ideas to adapt to her. Of course, the part that comes off a bit weird to me is the business side of it. The majority of customers, especially in Japan, aren't going to be as tall as the models, so their clothes aren't going to sell if they look awful on shorter people.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

I had to think about this since the show also makes a point that that designers typically come up with ideas with a particular model in mind. If the standard is for models to be very tall, then it would be odd to think of designs for a short model. Tradition is working against her, and designers aren't going to want to change their ideas to adapt to her. Of course, the part that comes off a bit weird to me is the business side of it. The majority of customers, especially in Japan, aren't going to be as tall as the models, so their clothes aren't going to sell if they look awful on shorter people.

Another thought I just had is: if it's a typical runway show where multiple models are walking, it would probably throw the show off if a short model walks next to a tall model when the next dress on display is coming out. Unless that was a gimmick, as seen in this anime, but I doubt many serious shows would do that (please note: I am only guessing; I haven't seen real runway shows). So a height standard would make sense in the runway show situation. Of course, that doesn't mean someone couldn't try to change the status quo by choosing to design all outfits for shorter models, but it's probably easier to go with the flow.
Lotus Viridis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:31 am Reply with quote
Just dropping in as a random person catching up on the show and following the reviews. But upon reading ep 8 and 9's reviews, I feel like they are just...summations of the plot of the episodes? Like they're just telling me what I watched and then they are done. With a couple comments, but nothing that really seems like an "impression" or "review." Is that just me?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2