• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime We Most Want to See in Live-Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and Jojo Rabbit totally looks Naruto-esque. LG should hire the production team for that one and cast the kid.
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
As others have mentioned, Monster is THE obvious choice. Like far and away beyond anything else. No CG. Intricate, dark, suspenseful plot written by a master. Needs basically no "adaptation." Just stick to the script and cast the right people, and you're good to go.

Little Witch Academia? No. Doesn't need a live-action adaptation. Why are people so into taking shows that would require heavy CG to live-action? Play to the strengths of the live-action medium; don't try to force and struggle against its weaknesses.

What Little Witch Academia needs is just more damn seasons of the anime. And a Blu Ray release. Somebody get on both of those, please.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
KonoSuba would be great live-action, seeing as it's practically an animated British sitcom.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:41 am Reply with quote
Adapting Monster seems redundant, since there are already like eighty billion live-action American TV shows and movies in the "dark and edgy police procedural with serial killers and whatnot" genre. Oversaturated doesn't even begin to describe it. Psycho-Pass kinda falls under that umbrella, too; describe it to a random Westerner and they'll probably think you're talking about Minority Report.

LWA might work in live-action but the tone would likely end up being entirely different. Even Harry Potter itself came off as edgier in the movie versions, and LWA is way more wild and cartoony. Fate... in terms of content, it could work, it's not all that different from Avengers movies, but even the anime versions have struggled to condense its convoluted lore into one show, and if you're converting something to a new medium to get new fans, it needs to be comprehensible to them.

I don't have much interest in live-action conversions anyway, though. There's a (lot of) reason(s) they tend not to work, and this live-action-all-the-things impulse plays into the idea that animation is somehow a lesser medium. And the fact that they're so often terrible reinforces that assumption even more for people who won't watch cartoons.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:45 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I don't have much interest in live-action conversions anyway, though. There's a (lot of) reason(s) they tend not to work, and this live-action-all-the-things impulse plays into the idea that animation is somehow a lesser medium. And the fact that they're so often terrible reinforces that assumption even more for people who won't watch cartoons.

Yeah, the whole point of animation is to do what you can't do in live-action. Doing a live-action adaption of an anime just seems like a regressive way of doing things. One of the main reasons I got into anime was because animation can do so much more than live-action and Japan was the only place utilizing it as such.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

Yeah, the whole point of animation is to do what you can't do in live-action. Doing a live-action adaption of an anime just seems like a regressive way of doing things. One of the main reasons I got into anime was because animation can do so much more than live-action and Japan was the only place utilizing it as such.

Yes, exactly, that's one of my main reasons for interest in anime as well.

I also really like the fact that a lot of anime is really optimized for its intended audience rather than getting the "mass market appeal" that most hollywood movies tend to have.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:15 am Reply with quote
Keanu should be Tenma in Monster.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
Nausicaa would be extremely epic. @James Cameron Laughing

I also agree that Yuri on Ice would be nice. I'm not sure if many straight male figure skaters would agree with that sentiment though.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Good. Just don't name any of my favorite anime for live action remakes. I have not seen the Howleywood Ghost in the Shell and never shall.
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The Fate franchise is a golden choice. Had the idea of the SyFy channel adapting their own take of the series only it is set in the USA (Because multi-verse, Nasuverse, etc) about a young man desperately trying make a name for himself via the Holy Frail War despite being only a first generation mage. I already have a good crop of servant ideas:

Saber: Kresnik (Slovenian spirit of goodness turned vampire hunter after Christian canonization) (Also feminized because...reasons)

Lancer: The Morrigan (Celtic goddess with shape-shifting abilities who repeatedly tried to sabotage Cú Chulainn after he refused her hand in battle)

Archer: Jack Frost (The spirit of winter who goes by many names who embodies ice, snow, and the cold grip of death)

Rider: Sinbad (Legendary sailor, adventurer, and lover whose exploits and treasures would probably match Gilgamesh)

Berserker: Asura (Evil demi-god(s) that challenged the Hindu devas and is capable of both great strength and rage, but also wisdom and enlightenment.

Assassin: Kudlak (Kresnik's counterpart, a malicious spirit of destruction and pestilence turned vampire after Christian canonization) (Also feminized because...reasons)

Caster: H.P. Lovecraft (American writer best known for creating Eldritch horrors such as Nightgaunts and Cthulhu)
scriver058

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:19 am Reply with quote
Long thought Berserk was perfect for live action on the heels of Game of Thrones and the other adjacent shows that cropped up in it's wake. A proper adaptation would get expensive the deeper you get into the story, but a lot of the things that made GoT a success are there in Berserk and then some.

Wouldn't wanna see Monster in live action, I enjoyed the anime but thought it was super stretched out, and as pointed out earlier, there's a ton of stuff like it in live action already.

Another anime I'd love to see in live action is Hellsing. Always thought Johnny Depp would make a great Alucard.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
For me, Gunsmith Cats seems the most natural choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:13 am Reply with quote
One that comes to mind is "91 Days".
a. It's an original anime so there is less to worry about straying from a source material. It is set in the U.S. through a fictional Illinois town called Lawless. It is mainly set in 1928, so there is the period piece aspect. Also, there are various American crime films, especially mobster ones, that have had critical acclaim and done O.K. to really well at the domestic box office. However, being a mob movie, it's full potential would likely be more realized as an R-rated movie.

b. However, even though there are plenty of Italians in this country, we would want someone closer to age for our lead guy, Angelo. In the show, he is about 19. So, getting an Italian actor who is 20 when they started filming might help.

c. Oh, and provided he was willing, I would try to get at a cameo by Austin Tindle. While he might be best known as Kaneki from "Tokyo Ghoul", I really enjoyed his Angelo. Heck, I consider it his greatest anime performance. Actually, I would try to get cameos from most if not all of the Eng. dub cast that played a named character or that were credited as "Mob Fodder #1".
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:07 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Trigun in here. As for Hollywood adaptations,maybe that should be left to Japan since they've proven to be the ones that can pull it off (if GitS was any indication).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Work-related shows, e.g. Working, The Comic Artist and His Assistants, Koe de Oshigoto, etc.

Many shoujo and josei shows
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5